PDA

View Full Version : Honda 250R rebuild maybe?

TWILES
02-08-2007, 10:10 AM
I know that the frames and plastic are COMPLETELY gone. Are there any major parts still available from Honda? I've really considered trying to restore a 250R for me and I'm scared that I'll end up with something that is not fixable. I'm planning on buying a clunker to start with. Some 88 and 89's still pop up in the local Trader Paper. Would it be worth the trouble or am I going to end up waiting for parts to come up on Ebay to progress with the bike?

312R1
02-08-2007, 11:12 AM
You can still get alot of the parts from Honda..check out my rebuild I have got about $3,000 in new OEM parts

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=268448

TWILES
02-08-2007, 01:33 PM
So you can still get stock plastic and brake calipers?

That and certain interal motor parts are my biggest worries. The rest of the stuff that goes bad could be bought aftermarket or used.

312R1
02-08-2007, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by TWILES
So you can still get stock plastic and brake calipers?

That and certain interal motor parts are my biggest worries. The rest of the stuff that goes bad could be bought aftermarket or used.

Plastic yes..calipers I'm not sure. I bought some off of ebay that are rebuilt and pretty much new. Yeah you can buy the motor parts too...I bought new cases, cylinder, bearings, seals, crank and counter balancer..I think thats pretty much it for the engine.

If you do deside to do it..just a heads up it cost $$ to do it right, but it's alot of fun. Here in a month or so when I finished I will really be able to say I have a new 250R..:D

TWILES
02-08-2007, 02:40 PM
This wouldn't be my first trip through a junker. I raced and rode 2-strokes for 15 - 22 years old. I never had the money for a new 250R. Thats the one that got away I guess. My wife has never ridden one and I think she would really like one. I would too. I guess I'm trying to get back something I kind-of lost. I had a NICE 250R that was a far cry from stock that I sold after highschool to buy a truck. $6500 with $2000 profit sounded great at the time. I'd give $6500 for THAT R right now if I had it. I miss the 2-strokes. I had a Banshee that I was very proud of and sold it for a 450R. I remember going to the local races a few months after I bought it (hadn't been in 6 months) and it was somewhere between a RC car national and a StarTrek convension with a little highschool football game in there too. The 16 yearold with the new 450 and his cool pipe, airbox lid and complete spandex Fox outfit packing his IPod blew me away. It was just not the same. I think it would be cool to have a piece of my racing days to keep other then picture. I have plenty of them. I figure I can get a running 88/89 for around $1500 here. They don't bring that much here since the 450s came out. I'd hope no more than $5500 in the whole thing.

312R1
02-08-2007, 03:04 PM
You sound alot like me..I use to race in the 90's on a 250R things happened and had to sale it..and have regreted it ever since so this past oct I bought the one I have now. This one I WILL NEVER SALE!!:p

TWILES
02-08-2007, 05:19 PM
Mine will rust into before it goes if I get one done. I think they will make a return one day if a Vintage class was ever formed. I wouldn't punish mine but someone would. If nothing else they will be like the 70's MX dirtbikes. They bring a decent amount if they run. There is a club here called the Non-MonoShock Club. My uncle was wanting to get into that but ended up with a 3rd kid and called it. I'd love to see something like that for the 2-stroke quads. I have a friend that told me that he can't even ride a 450. He races the MidSouth XC's and still rides a 250R after trying a Yamaha and Honda thumper. I can ride the WR I have. The bike motors are nice and usable. The quads have a long way to go or $3000 to fix the problem. I'd rather put $3000 towards a nice R over improving the 450R the wife has after paying nearly $6000 for it new.

It will probably be June or July before I really start looking. I'm sure they will be plentyfull. There are a bunch in Southern IL usually. The ones in Kentucky are GOLD to the owners. I wouldn't have to buy anything those.

250Renvy
02-08-2007, 08:11 PM
If you aren't trying to restore to stock original you'll be absolutely fine. The major stuff is still available, the rest is aftermarket by someone. You can still get new frames from lonestar and possibly Arens, but it will take a while.

Your best bet though if you are planning on spending $5500 is to buy a built 250R already, something that someone sunk 9-10k into and is selling for a 4 stroke. You could probably pick up a stock framed R for 3-4k and put 1500 in new bearings/seals, topeend, paint/powder and tires.

I've found that those junkers, even the moderate ones that are stock and not abused are worse because they need EVERYTHING - paint, bearings/seals, motor rebuilt, plastic, tires/rims, a-arms, shocks, you name it and you end up with 10K into it.

peeping TOM
02-09-2007, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by 250Renvy
If you aren't trying to restore to stock original you'll be absolutely fine. The major stuff is still available, the rest is aftermarket by someone. You can still get new frames from lonestar and possibly Arens, but it will take a while.

Your best bet though if you are planning on spending $5500 is to buy a built 250R already, something that someone sunk 9-10k into and is selling for a 4 stroke. You could probably pick up a stock framed R for 3-4k and put 1500 in new bearings/seals, topeend, paint/powder and tires.

I've found that those junkers, even the moderate ones that are stock and not abused are worse because they need EVERYTHING - paint, bearings/seals, motor rebuilt, plastic, tires/rims, a-arms, shocks, you name it and you end up with 10K into it.

every words spot on. a race prepped is the way to go.

or you could buy a cheap junker and have the pleasure of freeing a swingarm bolt thats not seen daylight for years and years.....

CorvetteZ06
02-09-2007, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by peeping TOM
every words spot on. a race prepped is the way to go.

or you could buy a cheap junker and have the pleasure of freeing a swingarm bolt thats not seen daylight for years and years.....

oh man, those swing arm bolts suck!!!!! I hate them!!

TWILES
02-09-2007, 10:24 AM

I could get a NICE R for 3-4 K HERE. I don't know what they go for other places. The bottom REALLY fell out on them in Western Kentucky and Southern IL.
Well Ridden...
I can get a stock framed 250R here for $1500 88/89
I could really keep my eye out for an 86/87 for $1000

I want it to be a project. I don't want to spend $5500 at one time. I have way to many other places to put that.

250Renvy
02-09-2007, 12:13 PM
Where do you look for them. I'd almost be willing to make a drive if they are that cheap there. $1500 for a stock framed 88/89 250R is almost unheard of in decent shape. With any mods that's a steal.

312R1
02-09-2007, 03:33 PM
Where do you look for them. I'd almost be willing to make a drive if they are that cheap there. $1500 for a stock framed 88/89 250R is almost unheard of in decent shape. With any mods that's a steal.

+1...I would like to pick another one up also..:D

TWILES
02-09-2007, 05:29 PM
The Southern Illinois Trader paper. Its called the SI Trader. I think Nashville IL is as far north as it goes. The one's I've seen are junky but they run...they say they do anyway. They are also rare.

TWILES
02-09-2007, 07:12 PM
I just looked through a parts finder on the 88/89 R's and it looks like the most used parts are still available aside from the frame. I don't think it will be too hard to get one together. The headlight is no longer available. Thats the one thing I thought I would like to have that I'd have to get used. The only thing that bothers me a little is that the some of the parts for the shift drum are discontinued. I never saw one go out but theres always a chance. If I'm wrong about the parts available, let me know.

Scott-300ex
02-10-2007, 01:59 PM
Motosport catalogs got a lot of stuff man.

Scott-300ex
02-10-2007, 02:00 PM
Motosport catalogs got a lot of stuff man.

Its called "Motosport".

TWILES
02-10-2007, 02:55 PM
I get those catalogs. I was mainly concerned about the HONDA stuff. I know I can get aftermarket things.