PDA

View Full Version : How To Adj Valves? 2006 HELP!!!

crazymgtnut
02-08-2007, 04:32 AM
I was just looking in my Honda Servise Manual. And it says you adj Them with Shim's is this right? If so where can i get these shim's at that are Diffent Sizes? So i can Do this Job my self. HELP!! i Race Saterday!!!!

SwainRacing
02-08-2007, 05:39 AM
Figure out what sizes you need and call Your local dealer, they may have the shims you need. But Hot Cams sells a kit with all different sizes in it.

ScramblerXLE
02-08-2007, 07:02 AM
*agrees* You should get the Hot Cams box, it comes w/ everything you need to do the valves, and they will need done fairly often on these new four-strokes to ensure that they stay running tip-top. For a short-term solution though: The shims in the honda 450 are the same as the ones in the YFZ 450 or the Polaris Predator, so if your honda guy doesn't have 'em and can't get them quick enough, try a Polaris or Yamaha dealer. Also, be REALLY careful when re-timing the motor, if you mess up this, the engine will run poorly if at all, and if you mess it up to bad you'll hit the valves w/ your piston. Best of luck to you :)

P.S. most of the 450 bikes also have the same shims, but the 250 4t bikes use smaller shims. Good luck again.

400exrider707
02-08-2007, 07:05 AM
Hotcams shims are not the same quality as Honda ones just FYI, but as long as your not running a built motor, you are fine...

lumi
02-08-2007, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Hotcams shims are not the same quality as Honda ones just FYI, but as long as your not running a built motor, you are fine...

:D agreed

-lumi

crazymgtnut
02-08-2007, 09:22 AM
Honda ones better? or not? How hard is this to do.?

lumi
02-08-2007, 10:09 AM
honda shims are better, but more expensive and less conveinent than the hotcam shims kit....

preety easy to do... u will need a torque wrench, some standard tools, locktite, and zip ties and of course new shims or shim kit.

the main tool the service manual study it a couple of times before u go in and u should have no problem..

btw go to hotcams website and they have a video of how to do this.

-lumi