PDA

View Full Version : how to set up shocks?

1fst400
02-07-2007, 08:29 PM
Can anyone explain to me how to get some diecent performance out of my stock 400ex rear shock with elka rebuild.

scence i got my LT front suspention it feels like im running a piece of rebar for a rear shock. I havent a clue on how to set these suckers up either.

For the rear I put the rebound and compression in the middle. It seems to bottom out fast and then kick me up over the bars alot. any tips?

400exrider707
02-08-2007, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by 1fst400
Can anyone explain to me how to get some diecent performance out of my stock 400ex rear shock with elka rebuild.

scence i got my LT front suspention it feels like im running a piece of rebar for a rear shock. I havent a clue on how to set these suckers up either.

For the rear I put the rebound and compression in the middle. It seems to bottom out fast and then kick me up over the bars alot. any tips?

From what your saying... turn up the compression... turn down the rebound.

mxquadracer115
02-08-2007, 03:55 PM
I think that might have to do with having a std travel rear and lt front. but i could be wrong

04TRX400EX
02-08-2007, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
From what your saying... turn up the compression... turn down the rebound.

This is what needs to be done. The shock is compressing too fast and therefore has little bottom-out resistance. Turn the adjustment towards the "H" to stiffen the compression. If it is kicking back up and throwing you over the bars, you need to slow down the rebound. This is opposite of what you think if you're running the stock rear shock ... turn it clockwise to slow it down.

1fst400
02-08-2007, 07:38 PM
Is there a book out on how to set up suspention?