PDA

View Full Version : pop them damn beads

kamikaze-rider
02-07-2007, 01:01 AM
how the heck do i pop these damn beads i tried the tire shop and they only could get one, then they tried pullen out that pick axe thing i about beat the guy up after he hit my rim and tried to play it off like it was no big deal. and its gonna cost me more then i wanna spend at the atv shop.
got an tricks?

400exrider707
02-07-2007, 05:22 AM
2x4, 2x6, 4x4.... about 3 feet long. Lay one end on the ground, other end on the tire as close to the rim as possible, then drive up the board with a truck. You might need a friend to stand on the other side of the tire to hold it down while you drive up it, but its the easiest home brew way I've seen yet.;)

4TraxRider
02-07-2007, 02:16 PM
I've never used the board trick but I usually just run the tire over with my truck. Only one time i couldn't get it off. I used our skid steer and popped it right off. My tire shops won't even do quad tires anymore.:grr:

enduro400rider
02-07-2007, 02:44 PM
quad tires are a ***** to pop off. i tried the old 2x4 trick, i had the whole weight of the front end of my ranger sitting on it and it didnt pop. my neighbor took a log splitting wegde and a sledge to it:eek2: , (i had to hold the wedge, while he took full swings at it............ i was pretty scared of loosing my hand) i ended up cutting them off, my last set i changed me and my buddy spent about an hour and a half with a real tire machine, just getting 4 off. if you dont need the tires just cut them off its the easiest way, now im wondering how hard its going to be to get the new ones mounted :rolleyes:

northwest Texas
02-07-2007, 03:00 PM
I use a tool very similar to the one in the pic below. I haven't failed to break a bead yet, be-it ATV, auto, implement, etc.

http://img.nextag.com/image/DELUXE_Tire_Bead_Breaker/1/000/005/001/130/500113002.jpg

The pic is pretty small in the link but here it is below in case you're interested in buying one.

http://www.nextag.com/DELUXE-Tire-Bead-Breaker-500112859/prices-html

Chino886
02-07-2007, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
2x4, 2x6, 4x4.... about 3 feet long. Lay one end on the ground, other end on the tire as close to the rim as possible, then drive up the board with a truck. You might need a friend to stand on the other side of the tire to hold it down while you drive up it, but its the easiest home brew way I've seen yet.;)

I saw that in Quad Magazine!

Or, buy a Dual beadlock is the easiest........LOL! :devil:

MO-EX-RIDER
02-07-2007, 05:41 PM
^^^Ha i just recieved my copy today and saw that write up

hangman
02-07-2007, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by northwest Texas
I use a tool very similar to the one in the pic below. I haven't failed to break a bead yet, be-it ATV, auto, implement, etc.

http://img.nextag.com/image/DELUXE_Tire_Bead_Breaker/1/000/005/001/130/500113002.jpg

The pic is pretty small in the link but here it is below in case you're interested in buying one.

http://www.nextag.com/DELUXE-Tire-Bead-Breaker-500112859/prices-html

Bought one of those at Tractor Supply Co. for $45. I was skeptical at first but I've changed a couple of dozen tires with it and it has never failed to break the bead.

JOEX
02-07-2007, 07:53 PM
For those who have used the one like in the pic posted, how many OEM tires have you tried? How did it do?

firefighterjosh
02-07-2007, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by hangman
Bought one of those at Tractor Supply Co. for $45. I was skeptical at first but I've changed a couple of dozen tires with it and it has never failed to break the bead.

x2 have done prally 30 sets by now.

mad440
02-07-2007, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
For those who have used the one like in the pic posted, how many OEM tires have you tried? How did it do?

I know I couldnt get my OEM ones off myself i took it to a tire shop and they said the way they had to do it was punch a small hole in the bead because of a ring or something behind there i guess they removed it because ive done my own tires since then without any problems

400exrider707
02-08-2007, 06:13 AM
OEM tires are a PITA no matter what... I believe the companies use some sort of bead sealer and its like glue....

Ive been doing the board trick for a while... just simply driving over the tire with your vehicle doesn't work sometimes... it works good if you have air int he tires but once you pop one bead the other is a pain, which is why I use the boards now. I do it with my ranger with no problems... you might need a fullsize if your ranger isn't doing it.

duke416ex
02-08-2007, 07:09 AM
I learned a trick froma buddy that has a tire shop that really helps. If you are using a bead breaker or a tire machine, don't let all teh air out of the tire, go down to a pd or less. Then pop the first bead off. Put very little air back in, don't pop the bead on, just enough to hold the first tire against the bead, then the other bead will come off easier. You also have to get a good bite next to the wheel, esp on oem tires. It sounds like an odd way, but it has always worked everytime I have tried it.

400exrider707
02-08-2007, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by duke416ex
I learned a trick froma buddy that has a tire shop that really helps. If you are using a bead breaker or a tire machine, don't let all teh air out of the tire, go down to a pd or less. Then pop the first bead off. Put very little air back in, don't pop the bead on, just enough to hold the first tire against the bead, then the other bead will come off easier. You also have to get a good bite next to the wheel, esp on oem tires. It sounds like an odd way, but it has always worked everytime I have tried it.

Yeah its the same reason that you can really only pop one bead off by just driving over the tire. The tire doesn't flex as much and forces the bead down.

northwest Texas
02-08-2007, 10:07 AM
It doesn't matter what tire it is but the first side always pops the whole bead off. The back side I do in 3 increments. If you try to break it all at once, it's much more difficult than it needs to be. Instead on the back side I'll push it down until it stops and rotate the tire about a quarter turn plus and do it again. After that it takes only one more time and the entire bead pops right off.

Just 2 weeks ago I took the stock tires of my b-i-l's Z400 and the machine worked well. The bigger problem I have with the ATV wheels is getting the bead back on. I replaced the front tires on my dads Polaris 2wd a couple years ago and it took 40psi to get the beads on and when they slipped on they made a loud boom. I tried every which way possible but the only way to get them on was excessive psi (DANGEROUS)

JoeX, I've also used the same tool to remove tires that had been on for almost 20 years and had no problem so long as I follow the protocol above.

400exrider707
02-08-2007, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by northwest Texas
It doesn't matter what tire it is but the first side always pops the whole bead off. The back side I do in 3 increments. If you try to break it all at once, it's much more difficult than it needs to be. Instead on the back side I'll push it down until it stops and rotate the tire about a quarter turn plus and do it again. After that it takes only one more time and the entire bead pops right off.

Just 2 weeks ago I took the stock tires of my b-i-l's Z400 and the machine worked well. The bigger problem I have with the ATV wheels is getting the bead back on. I replaced the front tires on my dads Polaris 2wd a couple years ago and it took 40psi to get the beads on and when they slipped on they made a loud boom. I tried every which way possible but the only way to get them on was excessive psi (DANGEROUS)

JoeX, I've also used the same tool to remove tires that had been on for almost 20 years and had no problem so long as I follow the protocol above.

How else did you try to get them on? I assume you lubricated the tire and the bead on the rim very good? Did you try bouncing them on the ground after?

ATV403
02-08-2007, 10:31 AM
I have owned my bead breaker like that for over 20 years. It will break OEM tires but it does take a little extra effort. It does work better with just a little air left in the tire. When you try to do the second side add just enough air to have it come up to the rim lock but not over it. Do not try to do it with one bite work your way around the entire tire.I bought mine from JC Whitney. It has changed hundreds of tires. I did replace the quick pins with bolts and nuts. Also use a tie down when you air them back up. I have blown up a couple turf tamer tires before I started using this method,

02-08-2007, 10:37 AM
i have one like that, my father in law built it from the junk pile from where he used to work...it has broke a few tire beads

northwest Texas
02-08-2007, 01:18 PM
I've learned the easiest way to get tires on is to lubricate 180* where the tire will slip over the rim easily. If you lubricate the whole 360* the tire doesn't want to go on but slide around and it makes it much more difficult.

Once the tire is on I will spray the bead liberally with WD-40 (or equivalent) and air it up. That works almost always. Sometimes, like with the XCR's I just put on, I will toss it up in the air and let it bounce. It might take a couple times but with adequate air pressure, that usually does the trick.

None of that worked with the tires on dad 400L. It took more air pressure than I like giving it (20psi makes a loud boom when it slips on the bead) I don't remember specifically but I checked each tire after I got it on and it was somewhere in the 4xpsi. What usually takes me 5 min or less per wheel took me over an hour.

When we change truck tires (split rims), always take a chain and wrap it around the tire and through the rim so if the ring isn't seated the chain will slow some of that energy when she blows. You don't want to be standing anywhere near one when she blows at 70psi+ Fortunately I've never had that happen and hope never to experience it.

kamikaze-rider
02-16-2007, 01:00 AM
man why do people waste there money on bead locks i cant get it off with my truck cant ever see myself poping it off while riding without having a seriouse crash and the bead would be the least of my worries if that happened

02-16-2007, 10:01 AM
Never had a problem changing tires but I like to do things the easy way, just have to use my hunter eng tire changer!
Yea the board trick works pretty good. If the bead is being is pain to seat I use a rachet strap around the middle of the tire and tighten up alittle bit, that usually works.

Honda_7x
02-16-2007, 06:34 PM
so with the 2x4 way do u take out the valve stem or what?

and dont you crush your rim?? have u guys done this on little mx tires/wheels??

cdrookie
02-16-2007, 08:56 PM
bumper jack, never let me down. gotta use a REAL vehicle though, not these new plastic/fiberglass cars(which you can't use a bumper jack with anyways). did a set of 19" holeshot mx's today. biggest PITA tires i ever did, but got them off.