PDA

View Full Version : windy @ the dunes

250r4life
02-06-2007, 11:40 PM
note to duners.... when it is really windy (and i mean really windy) and there are no tracks in the sand and everything is blending together and the dunes arent rolling- everything is just a drop... just go back to camp and chill...

250r4life
02-06-2007, 11:41 PM
and if you do happen to go out under those conditions, and happen to launch off of a drop off... make sure your lip isnt somehow inbetween your teeth...

250r4life
02-06-2007, 11:42 PM
it is no fun biting all the way through your lip- and urgent care in yuma is not cheap...

spud400ex
02-06-2007, 11:45 PM
OUCH!!!

How did the quad come out of the deal?

250r4life
02-07-2007, 12:37 AM
the quad came out great- i actually stuck the landing...

i was had 3rd gear wrapped out and all of the sudden there was a big ol' drop off... well, i had two choices- slam on the brakes, but i wouldnt have been able to stop in time and would have nose dived... or, gas it and launch off of it... i did the 2nd, and had just enough time to goose it and get my front end up... i fell for a good distance, and where i landed was on an upslope, so i landed hard as can be. i stuck the landing, but with the good falling distnance, and landing on an up hill slant with no foward momentum, i got whipped forward and hit my helmet on my handlebars... somehow i cut my chin, and somehow my lip was in front of my teeth and i bit right through it upon impact...

i didnt know how bad it was, and the guys i was with, not wanting me to freak out (and plus they needed a way to get my bike back to camp) told me i had just bitten it and not bitten all the way through it... so i said cool, and went and rode some more, and went and raced the hill a few times... when i got back to camp and went and looked in the mirror, my lip was bit in half and part of it was curled back and just flapping there... so i went and got stitches, and then went back to the dunes the next two weekends...

JOEX
02-07-2007, 08:09 PM
I did the same thing several years ago. Didn't cut my lip but got a gash in the chin worth six stitches. That didn't hurt nearly as much as racking the jewels on the tank:ermm:

Dune Surfer
02-07-2007, 08:16 PM
Yep these things happen. I cracked some ribs doing the same thing. Although I like Glamis the best with no tracks, some of my best rides have been in the wind. Sand is smooth as butter. Mmmmm..........................

djguestone
03-12-2007, 05:06 PM
Sorry about your accident on that drop off bro.. Good thing you were aware of your surroundings, It could of been much worse.
How far is Yuma from Glamis, how far?? I always wondered where to go in case of of medical need. Thanks.

GPracer2500
03-12-2007, 05:36 PM
If you're at the Glamis side of the ISDRA, Brawley is the nearest hospital (....uhh, don't ask me how I know that... :huh ). If you're at the other end (Gordens Well or Buttercup), Yuma is closest.

GPracer2500
03-12-2007, 05:41 PM
Here's me four days after surgery, probably 3 weeks after my dune "incident". I've got a fancy schmancy piece of titanium under my eye now.

http://img482.imageshack.us/img482/8880/postopday4smallit9.jpg

Thank goodness today I look normal and can see normally.

GPracer2500
03-12-2007, 06:13 PM
10 days in the Brawley hospital a good dune trip does not make!

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/1405/imgedtmod1qw7.jpg

With the aid of a Jewitt brace I was on my feet on the 7th or 8th day. This was about 5 years ago.

250r4life
05-17-2007, 05:40 PM
i dont know how i never saw your reply on this... i didnt know you had gotten messed up...

what happened GP?

GPracer2500
05-17-2007, 10:10 PM
I hit a kiddy track near camp at near-full speed that I didn't see. You know--it was one of those ones with a real deep berm. It was completely my own damn fault. I shouldn't have been doing what I was doing. Broke by left orbital base and a couple vertebrae. The fact that I was on a Kawaski Lacota 300 (not mine) didn't help any.

250r4life
05-18-2007, 12:38 AM
yah- those are seriously some of the most dangerous parts of the dunes... i know tons of people that have gotten messed up on them...

i've had a couple that i have launched off and luckily never wrecked... several people in my camp have eaten it though, and i know several others...

eerhard09
05-23-2007, 08:02 AM
Funny you mention the wind blowing.... We were at Silver Lake in MI this past weekend and the wind was blowing at out backs going through the directional hills. Well, the first time (first 30 seconds into the ride) we crested the tallest hill and it was a drop on the other side. We all made it (surprisingly) except for the one guy. He was thrown over the bars when the back end bucked over the top, he flew down the hill, the quad nosed into the sand, endoed, and then landed on his back. He finally went to see the doctor yesterday after not being able to walk correctly, and he found out that he fractured his pelvis. He still rode a little after he did it but just did sand drags on his YFZ.