PDA

View Full Version : Killswitch Problem

clutch22
02-06-2007, 08:44 PM
When I got my R , it came with a killswitch that hooks on to you. When these are installed, do you have to lock up the factory killswitch thats on the handlebars?? cuz mine wont move and i'm tired of everytime i wanna turn my quad off i have to pull the cord.

clutch22
02-07-2007, 06:08 AM
...anyone...???...

deathman53
02-07-2007, 06:09 AM
put in a cr kill switch and connect it to the 2 wires from the tether kill switch.

clutch22
02-07-2007, 07:08 AM
..Well i dont know what brand of killswitch is on my R right now, but it just broke the other day and i have a prodesign killswitch on the way, and wanted to fix that problem so that i'm not always pulling the cord to shut off the engine.

deathman53
02-07-2007, 01:26 PM
cr/xr kill button, they come on dirtbikes. Yamaha, kawasksi, and susuki ones will work too. Moose and tusk sell them at half the cost of a honda one, I think about $10. The brand of the kill switch doesn't matter, one wire comes from the igntion and the other connects to ground, when the button is pushed/tether cord pulled, the circuit is closed and the igntion grounds to the frame and kills spark. On my bikes, I have cr kill buttons and a tether cord, most of the time, only the cr kill button is used, the few times I needed the tether it is was more than worth it.

clutch22
02-07-2007, 04:51 PM
I know all this. BUT the killswitch that comes stock thats on the handlebars that is on the same control cluster as the headlight switches.... Ya that killswitch is froze solid and wont move side to side to shut off the engine... So instead i have to pull the tether everytime i wanna shut off my quad.... I was just wondering if there as a reason why that switch was froze up

deathman53
02-07-2007, 05:22 PM
I never heard of them sticking, I have had a few, never sticked. I personally don't like them, its far too easy to accidently move the lever while leaning into a turn, I did it a few times. I move the cluster to the inside of the cluth perch and put a cr kill where the stock cluster goes. That stock switch is far too easy to knock off and as they age, sometimes they become very loose. Thats the last thing you want on a hill climb. If you are really stuck with using them, I would get a new one or a decent used one. Once you free it, it will be very loose.

clutch22
02-07-2007, 05:31 PM
Ya... I think its probably something that the previous owner did purposley. but idk... when i get my new tether switch in a few days, i'll mess around with that cluster and see if I can find anything out.

wilkin250r
02-09-2007, 02:20 AM
They should both work. If your factory killswitch doesn't move, there is something wrong with it, and it has NOTHING to do with the tether kill switch.

The kill switches work by grounding the spark. When you add a tether switch, you aren't "bypassing" the factory switch in any way, it should still work exactly like normal. The only thing the tether switch does is provide another path to ground. If either one is in the "dead" position, the quad won't start.

When you have a tether, you should still be able to use your factory switch exactly like normal (as long as the tether is in place. If the tether is out, the quad is dead, regardless of what position the factory switch is set).