PDA

View Full Version : 460 stroker lots of ????

MUDDIN400EX
02-06-2007, 07:25 PM
Ok, I have a 02 400ex and right now it is bone stock. I have just replaced the timing and now I need a crankshaft. SUCKS... So I am thinking of stroking it and makin it a 440 with the crank. I have access to a very very cheap and some of it even free weber cam that is for a 440 but not sure which cam it is... a 440 cylinder w/ new sleeve, a slip on i believe to be lrd pipe, k and n, cdi rev box. I am thinking of going with either just the 440 with a stock crank or strokin it to the 4mm which will make it the 460. I ride a lot of wooded trails and love ridin some good long fast or slow wheelies and doin some good ole dirt drags... I want the best all round set up for this tupe of riding and I am 215 pounds. What should I go with??? I don't want to spend a fortune but I don't mind running racing fuel. I found a kit at lukesracing.com that includes everything for the stroker crank, gaskets, seals, bearings, sleeve, piston, and all for $750. I am willing to spend this but not a ton more... I am also running stock carb and will be jetting it to make it better for setup and also will be porting and polishing head. I don't mind re gearing sprockets either. What should I do, please give me a lot of opinions and advice, I know we got some experts and experienced rider/ builders on here. I have read many old threads but none have really made up my decision. PLease please help asap... trying to gitrdone asap. thanks Jeremy

xben719
02-07-2007, 05:52 AM
That 460 kit sounds like a pretty good deal but it doesn't actually come with everything you need. I mean if you want to play it safe it's a good idea to get a heavy duty cam chain, HD valve springs, HD clutch kit and lastly get your rockers hardened. But if you need a new crank anyway I would go ahead and do it right. You will have a 450 eatin machine when your done. I would also invest in a aftermarket or 450r carb. Unbelievable torque with the strokers.

6858-400ex
02-07-2007, 08:04 AM
i want to also build a 460 stroker look at hotcams the stage 3 is for strokers

MUDDIN400EX
02-07-2007, 08:06 AM
well, if I do all this, will i immediately need to get all that stuff, I mean can i make do for a while and do a little of this at a time? I mean i know i need it but i can't spend the extra 700 bucks right now... what would happen if i waited? the bike has a brand new timing chain so i would hope it would do ok for a while... how much is the valve springs, clutch, and hardened rockers? thanks for the help

xben719
02-07-2007, 01:41 PM
I would do it because you risk causing more than 700 dollars in damage if you don't. You would be riding a time bomb. the clutch could wait but you will burn through a regular one pretty quick.

DF400ex
02-07-2007, 04:38 PM
I would deff not skimp on a 460 big bore man. If the pros say to get all the extras for reliability with a 440, then your 460 would definitely need it. You would be risking causing way more damage than a burnt out clutch. It's your choice though.

When I do my 440 next month I'm going all out cuz I don't just want the extra power, I want the reliability to. After all, that's why you buy a 400ex anyway.

But like I've said in the past... do it right, or do it twice :)