PDA

View Full Version : removing crank bearings

Project300EX
02-06-2007, 04:33 PM
I just got my crank bearing in and figured I'd get them put in tonight. I know you can use an oven to heat the cases up, but I haven't found the specifics. How long and at what temp should I use to get the old bearings out? Also is there any special way to put the seals in? I wasn't sure since they're a little more fragile than the bearings or if I had to do something to get them to seal up. Thanks.

Project300EX
02-06-2007, 05:29 PM
I just got the first one out. For those needing to know what I did for your own project here it is. I put the case in the oven at 350^F for 5 minutes. Then I got a socket that fit inside the hole of the case and gave it a few taps with a mallet. I put the case back in the oven and have the bearing in the freezer. I'll try putting it back in in about 4 minutes.

Edit: The new bearing slipped right in with a few little love taps. I also got the crank out of the right side case as well as the bearing. I'll let the new bearing set in the freezer for a bit more and put it in.

440exnacsracer
02-08-2007, 11:30 PM
just a side note to others, just make sure not to force them out, or youll have the issue of buying another case.

mgraff400ex
02-09-2007, 09:05 AM
on the 2 strokes i've built i've always tapped the crank out of the case with a dead blow and the bearing come with the crank. I then use a bearing splitter and spacers and press to take the old bearing off. Next i heat the bearing with a propane torch. the kind that plumbers use to solder water pipe. than i just slide the beaing over the crank end. After the crank/bearing cools i heat the case with the same torch or put it on top of a kerosene heater till it's nice and toast and slip the whole works back together.