PDA

View Full Version : New guy with questions...

406Z26
02-06-2007, 01:35 PM
Hello everyone...looks like yall have a great forum with lots of good info here!

Now I have been Quad-less for ten plus years till about a week ago when I picked up a '00 400ex. I have yet to ride it for more than 5 min or so but I think its a good bike to start back into the sport with.

With this new bike comes some questions. I'll need help identifying the manufacturer of some aftermarket parts that are on it when I get some pics posted later tonight. The kid I bought it from was a little lax on info when it was dropped off.

One of the major concerns is the camshaft. I was told its a hotter cam but am unsure. Are there any casting numbers I can look for that will tell me what cam is in it? Will I need to degree it to find out?

The other thing is with the jetting. The engine has been fitted with a 426cc Wiesco (unsure of CR), Yoshi RS-3 slip, Uni filter...but the jet is only a 155 @ a 1000' elevation. Does that sound like the right jet? It came with the stock 148 and 165, 170, 175, 180, 185 so I have those sizes to work with.

I'm sure I'll have more questions about this bike but that's my main Q's for now.

Thanks

-Aaron-

02-06-2007, 02:02 PM
See my mods below.

I run a 170 Keihin main, and it seems pretty close.

It would also help to know if they are Dynojet, Mikuni or Keihin jets you got. IIRC they size out differently.

400exridin121
02-06-2007, 02:11 PM
It isnt a hotter cam it is a hotcam being the name of the company and here is a website you can check do you know if it is a stage 1 or 2? Sounds like you got a good bike

JOEX
02-06-2007, 02:48 PM
If it is an aftermarket cam it could be considered 'hotter' as an adjective.

'Hotcams' is a name of one manufacturer of aftermarket cams and most popular due to their price and ease of installation. If it is a 'Hotcam' product the name will be on the casting.

blasterandy
02-06-2007, 02:51 PM
Starting will become a problem eventually so get a 40 or 42 pilot jet. Sounds like you got a pretty cool machine. Welcome back to the sport. :D

406Z26
02-06-2007, 03:19 PM
Yeah, over all it looks like a good bike. It needs rear axle bearings, F/R brake pads, F/R rotors, bigger rear wheels (has 8x8 need stock 9x8) , headlight switch and a new set of front shocks.

I'd love to ride it but I don't have a helmet yet and its way to cold for my taste.

The jets that came with it are numbered 155RD-185RD that's the only markings on them.

Looks like I'll be digging into the top end to check the cam out sometime this week.

I do know it has a Lonestar +2 or +4 axle and some sort of weird axle lock nut of unknown make.

These are the parts of unknown manufacturer...

Nerf Bars, Skid Plates, Front Bumper, Axle Nut, Rear Wheels

Lets see if the pics work...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/406Z26/NewQuad001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/406Z26/NewQuad002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/406Z26/NewQuad003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/406Z26/NewQuad004.jpg

svahle
02-06-2007, 03:30 PM
I would hang on to those rear wheels. I don't know the brand by looking but most all baja style rims are a fairly high dollar items. I run 8x8 on all of mine. I can't tell about the axle lock nut for certain, but it looks to be an LSR (lonestar). It probably is if it has an LSR axle (which by the way is a very good axle, LSR makes great products).

Looks to me like it has either offset front rims or that they have been flipped around. This can affect handling (adversely). If they are offset, I would probably be looking for front rims instead of rear.

Looks like a pretty nice quad to me. Have fun with it.

Honda#4
02-06-2007, 03:42 PM
Looks to me like you have a hole in your header or something cus it looks all black to me.

406Z26
02-06-2007, 03:57 PM
Good call on the front wheels. They are offset not flipped. It came with a new set of ITP's but they are the same offset as the ones on it. Maybe I'll put one set on Ebay, pick up the right ones and keep a set as a backup.

The backs I was wanting to get rid of in favor of the factory size wheel. I have a like new set of 20x11x9 Holeshot XC's I want to use instead of the beat Razr's that are on it now. So I'd need wheels one size up.

And that exhaust manifold was was painted with exhaust paint by the kid I got it from. It burnt off within the first 5 min I had it started. He is a little slow...lol

blasterandy
02-06-2007, 04:33 PM
It looks like you could take an sos pad to those rotors and getem cleaned off then the rest will come off with use.;) and the wheel bearing problem is typical of 400ex's sry if i restated anything i dont have time to read all the other posts. Just get 20x11x8 wheels besides bajas are pretty pricey. the wheels being smaller really has no adverse affects. Besides its easer and sometimes cheaper to find tires for them.
Nerfs look exactly like the Tusk i had on my blaster.
Bumper i wouldn't worry about the manufacturer
Fronts do look offset due to the calipers sticking out.
And if you plan on getting shocks i would consider 450r shocks with a rebuild. You just get more for your money. Price of rebuilt compared to price of elka rec.'s are neck an neck... sometimes.
Looks like a nice bike. How much did ya pay for it if you don't mind my asking. It will be a great machine also if this kid is as stupid as he sounds i would do all the reg matinence i.e. valves, oil filter, oil, air filter, and a good check over of the topend and cams would be a very good thing too.
And maybe a bath :D ;) .
Also next time ya stand'er up on the grab bar turn the gass off
:D :blah:

406Z26
02-08-2007, 06:29 PM
LOL...yeah turn the gas off...I didn't even think of it till I noticed the puddle.

I did find out what jets I have. They are made by EBC Brakes RD Precision Main Jets - KEIHIN HEX HEAD

I also found that whoever did the last valve adjustment really screwed it up. They were cranked way down, it took a full turn out to get them to .005-.004. I hope the valves are not burnt.

Oh, what I paid for it...I traded an old car for it. I had about $1000 in the car so you could say I paid $1000 for it. But that's what I do...Buy-Fix-Sell-Trade-Part Out. So I'll dump some time into cleaning it up/fixing then get rid of it for something better.

AtvMxRider
02-08-2007, 07:26 PM
check your pm's

AtvMxRider
02-08-2007, 07:29 PM
the nerfs are DG

406Z26
02-09-2007, 07:28 PM
Back at you Jerry.

I did some working on the quad today. I put the 165RD main jet in and adjusted the A/F screw some. It helped get her running rather good but I'm getting some (not a lot) popping on deceleration. I do still need to check needle position, pilot jet size and what cam is in it.

AtvMxRider
02-09-2007, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by 406Z26
Back at you Jerry.

Back at you Aaron and thank you!!!:macho

krt400ex
02-10-2007, 05:39 AM
i think your pipe is a fully system....actually i know it is because the stock 400 pipe is not stepped like that one.

looks like a nice machine. for jetting i would go with the 170 main, and a 42 pilot to start. you are gonna want to adjust your needle a bit too