PDA

View Full Version : squeazing life out of clutch.

1fst400
02-05-2007, 08:15 PM
The clutch in my quad is shot. I dont have the money to buy a new one till next week. But I want to run my quad this weekend out on the lake.

I got some stiffer springs that should help. I also stacked some washers in there to stiffen the springs up some more.

Is there any other tricks to squeazing some life out of this clutch. IMO, the clutch doesent look that bad. The first steel has a little blue on the edge. I showed some guys at the track yesterday and they dident see why it should be slipping, but then said it doesent take much.

Does skuffing up the steels help any. I did this at the race track and it seemed to make it so it just would not dis-engage fully. And when I took it apart today the skuff marks where all gone.

firefighterjosh
02-05-2007, 08:41 PM
What kinda oil you use? I used ams oil once and it always soaked into my friction plates and made them slipp. Weirdest thing ever.

1fst400
02-06-2007, 07:35 AM
I used rotell oil once. clutch sliped, drained and swaped to spectro clutch saver and still slips.

Im going to cleen the fibers out real good and see if that helps.

underpowered
02-06-2007, 07:53 AM
well i doubt it was teh rotella that caused it. that is al i run and all we use in the shop for oil changes unless a customer request another oil be used.

1fst400
02-07-2007, 08:54 PM
mabie, mabie not.

I baked the clutch fibers. :blah: and cleened them with brake cleen. then soaked them in spectro clutch saver. It seemed to help.:confused:

either way I need a new clutch big time.

400exrider707
02-08-2007, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by 1fst400
mabie, mabie not.

I baked the clutch fibers. :blah: and cleened them with brake cleen. then soaked them in spectro clutch saver. It seemed to help.:confused:

either way I need a new clutch big time.

yeah once they start slipping you need a new one..

NacsMXer
02-08-2007, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by underpowered
well i doubt it was teh rotella that caused it. that is al i run and all we use in the shop for oil changes unless a customer request another oil be used.

All I run in my truck, 400, and KLX110 is Rotella T 5w40 full syn. I've had no troubles with it in anything. Not sure why it would cause someone's clutch to slip.

1fst400
02-08-2007, 07:34 PM
im not shure if thats what did it or not.

Its all I had and i figured it would be fine. Ripped up my driveway and noticed it was slipping. could have been slipping for weeks prior, dont ride on pavment much. Just seemed like it went dounhill fast scence I put that oil in it.

I was ripping around on the lake today and dident notice to much. once you get rolling out there you dont drop below 3rd usually. and there is some tire spin also.