PDA

View Full Version : Remembering track layouts

blholtz
02-05-2007, 08:12 PM
Are there any particular methods that you all use to remember the layout of tracks that you are riding for the first time.

I have trouble remembering the layout of tracks that I have never riden before.

I mean most of the time I walk the track and hit both practice, but the confidence level for the track doesn't hit until about half way through the second moto.

Any one have any input on how to remember the layouts.

rollie
02-05-2007, 08:20 PM
it usally only takes me a few laps, walk the track in the morning for sure, check out all the lines, and in practice do just that, practice and get used to the track and take into acount everything you see, where ruts are going to form, spots you know your going to have to be careful, thats what i do

1fst400
02-05-2007, 08:40 PM
All the races I have been to.

Every morning first think I tell myself , " self, im going to walk the track today no matter what"
I end up rushing, signing up, doing last minute fix's, puting numbers on. next thing I know ppl are practicing. And I have yet to ever walk a track first. lol.

I just go realy slow for the first lap of practice. stupid stuff will catch my eye and remind me of whats going on. Like a tiped over cone or somthing.

trxwannbe
02-06-2007, 12:08 PM
yeah do your best to walk the track at least once and then do the first lap or two of practice just putting and looking around

dan harris
02-07-2007, 07:36 AM
Owning the Breezewood Proving Grounds I see alot of riders come up and try alot of jumps before they even remember the layout. Its important to know what jump your flying at, Everyone remembers what happened to Doug Henry at Budds Creek when he forgot what jump he was flying over.

I think the best way to learn a new track is one jump at a time. Pick a jump and continue to jump it cutting the track and going right back to the jump several times. That way you don't forget how fast you hit it last time. If you come up short or overshoot it you can remember how fast you last hit it and adjust your speed. Once you have that jump move on to the next one. Once you've got them all you'll know the track and how fast to hit each jump.

MX MaNiAc 06
02-07-2007, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by dan harris

I think the best way to learn a new track is one jump at a time. Pick a jump and continue to jump it cutting the track and going right back to the jump several times.

I didnt think u would like ppl cutting track? lol

The 2nd and 3rd lap i hit most of the jumps on the track. The bigger ones i take a few laps to just focus on that certain jump. Ive never gone to a track n forgot the layout while riding the track.

QuadRider55
02-07-2007, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by rollie
it usally only takes me a few laps, walk the track in the morning for sure, check out all the lines, and in practice do just that, practice and get used to the track and take into acount everything you see, where ruts are going to form, spots you know your going to have to be careful, thats what i do

mephyst
02-07-2007, 01:07 PM
I've never had a hard time remembering a track layout at all. The best way that I have found is to go up in the grandstands or whatever and watch the people that know what they are doing for about 15minutes... then go suit up, get your gear on putt around the track at least one time and then start following the better riders... before you know it you will be doing everything. Obviously, some areas will be much less difficult or more difficult than others, so no rush... just slow down and cruise over it until you are absolutely confident and comfortable to move on!!!

czrider263
02-07-2007, 01:08 PM
I useally think like from where you enter the track abreveations like. d for double t for table trip for tripple and then left right. so a track could be L D D T R. IDK it helps me.

MX MaNiAc 06
02-07-2007, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by czrider263
I useally think like from where you enter the track abreveations like. d for double t for table trip for tripple and then left right. so a track could be L D D T R. IDK it helps me.

Thats confusing! lol

I say if u come around a corner n dont remember what jump it is, then just roll it. There is no rush in memorizing a track!