PDA

View Full Version : Buying a snowboard, many questions.

Rider-trx_250ex
02-05-2007, 05:37 PM
After my skateboard was run over with a car, I've been looking for another one but I haven't bought one yet because it's winter and I won't really get to use it. So I'm gonna buy a snowboard. This is where I need some help. I was thinking of a freestlye board, from what I've read they're a little more flexible and better for begineers. Now with the size, when stood on it's tail it should be between my chin and nose, and wide enough so my feet don't drag off the board while turning, right? Now I'm not gonna spend a lot of money on my first board, and that I can only use it during the few months of winter. Is there any particulaer brands I should look at? Like the ones at Dicks Sporting Goods? I'm probably gonna be researching this stuff for the rest of the night so I figured I'd post this. Any information is helpfull. Thanks

ridered11
02-05-2007, 06:06 PM
to tell you the truth, i'd look into a forum recon they are a great all around board, both park and alpine

good luck

Rider-trx_250ex
02-05-2007, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by ridered11
to tell you the truth, i'd look into a forum recon they are a great all around board, both park and alpine

good luck

Park and alpine? I know nothing of this sport, just how to do most of the necessities. lol

ilpadrino113
02-05-2007, 06:16 PM
you could look into a palmer or burton. They're good boards as well. I'd just walk into a mountain and talk to a snowboard instructor. they'll let yu know what to do.

TheFontMaster
02-05-2007, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by ilpadrino113
you could look into a palmer or burton. They're good boards as well. I'd just walk into a mountain and talk to a snowboard instructor. they'll let yu know what to do.

Those are gonna be way out of his price range. If you want a good beginer board for cheap, look at Liquid's stuff. My first setup was Liquid boots, and bindings with a Dukes board. I got that set up for I think 280 or so, about 6 or 7 years ago. I got 2 or 3 seasons out of the boots, and bindings, and they are now setting in my house in NY. There ain't nothing wrong with them at all. The board, I am still using. I give it a tune-up every year, and it's good to go. There was only one season where I used a different board.

The boots I have are a size 12, If you want them and the bindings, I'll make you a good deal on them.

ridered11
02-06-2007, 02:22 PM
park= terrain park, like rails jumps
alpine= just slopes and natural stuff

have you looked at the recon?

Regular_Joe
02-06-2007, 03:00 PM
I have had great luck w/ this place. Their prices are very hard to beat. I got everything I have from there. Plus free shipping on orders $45 or more. I have been recommending it to everyone I know.

Als Ski Barn (http://www.untracked.com)

trxwannbe
02-06-2007, 03:05 PM
i just bought a palmer andy finch model and am loving it although it is probably quite a bit more then you are looking to spend as it was said before look into liquid boots and bindings and you may even be able to find a fairly new burton or palmer board on ebay for cheap

orca0294
02-06-2007, 04:33 PM
I'd go with a Capita or Jeenyus. Get either one twin tip. I don't know whether or not jeenyus makes twin tip this year but you can set them up just like a twin tip board. I'd set it up with some tech nine toe capped bindings for some good control. DC or 32 boots would rap up a good set up - get something similar.

Rider-trx_250ex
02-07-2007, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster
Those are gonna be way out of his price range. If you want a good beginer board for cheap, look at Liquid's stuff. My first setup was Liquid boots, and bindings with a Dukes board. I got that set up for I think 280 or so, about 6 or 7 years ago. I got 2 or 3 seasons out of the boots, and bindings, and they are now setting in my house in NY. There ain't nothing wrong with them at all. The board, I am still using. I give it a tune-up every year, and it's good to go. There was only one season where I used a different board.

The boots I have are a size 12, If you want them and the bindings, I'll make you a good deal on them.

Will all bindings fit all boots and will all bindings fit all boards?

TheFontMaster
02-07-2007, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Rider-trx_250ex
Will all bindings fit all boots and will all bindings fit all boards?

In my experiance any binding will fit on any board. I'm sure that out there, there is some weird set-up, but all your name brand stuff will interchange. As far as boots, and bindings, you will usually have an option of 2 or 3 different size bindings, so that they fit the size boot you have.

fast426
02-07-2007, 05:07 PM
go to www.the-house.com they have great deals on all kinds of packages, and pretty much have the best prices i have seen. like stated, burton and palmer are going to be over 300 for just the board.

CDALEMX301
02-07-2007, 09:55 PM
I would avoid anything from aplays like dicks or MVP sports i would either order online or hit up a local shop...A great beginners board is a Snowjam...laugh all you wish those who know what they are but they are indestructible... I have worked in a rental shop for 8 years and have rented these boards since i started we also started selling this equiptment last season and the stuff is very durable. The main reason it is so much cheaper is because they are manufactured in Asia instead of our Europe. Between the chin and the nose will be fine to get used to riding on boards aren't as much like skis where it really makes a huge difference a lot of it is personal preference. Remember 10 centimeters is roughly 4 inches... I am ~5'11 and ride a 157 its a little on the shorter side but thats how i prefer it. What size sneaker do you wear? That will depend on whether you need a wide board or something standard width. If you got any questions send me a PM

fast426
02-07-2007, 10:06 PM
also starting out, shorter boards are alot easier to turn and control. as you get better, you can go faster on a longer board.

Dan_Guetter
02-07-2007, 11:37 PM
Buy a wave board....

Skating and snowboarding at the same time.

I just bought one today..best investment since guitar hero.

(not me in vid) :P

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/r1dUrDc74OE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r1dUrDc74OE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Rider-trx_250ex
02-08-2007, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by CDALEMX301
I would avoid anything from aplays like dicks or MVP sports i would either order online or hit up a local shop...A great beginners board is a Snowjam...laugh all you wish those who know what they are but they are indestructible... I have worked in a rental shop for 8 years and have rented these boards since i started we also started selling this equiptment last season and the stuff is very durable. The main reason it is so much cheaper is because they are manufactured in Asia instead of our Europe. Between the chin and the nose will be fine to get used to riding on boards aren't as much like skis where it really makes a huge difference a lot of it is personal preference. Remember 10 centimeters is roughly 4 inches... I am ~5'11 and ride a 157 its a little on the shorter side but thats how i prefer it. What size sneaker do you wear? That will depend on whether you need a wide board or something standard width. If you got any questions send me a PM

I wear a size 11 1/2 or 12. When I was looking for a board I noticed that they don't state the width so how do I find out how wind it is?

red rider88
02-09-2007, 12:25 PM
i have a forum recon board and bindings and ill sell them to u for $150 contact me at 724 961 1569