PDA

View Full Version : Alum. Airbox problem

Chin_Chilla
02-05-2007, 02:57 PM
I got an aluminum airbox and I installed it today. But before I put it on, I started my 400EX just so if i had any problems when I finished, I would know it started to begin with. So I took everything off, battery, battery box, regulator, stock airbox, and so on. So I put everything back it how it went and connected every wire with the same wire I disconnected them from. I left the 2 wires for the rear taillight unplug because I took off the tail light. Anyway, I turned the keyswitch to the on position, the neutral light lit up, and I pushed the start button and nothing...

So I check all the wires and everything is connected how its supposed to. I connected the neg. and pos. wires to see if it sparked and yup. I followed every wire I would see and they were all connected perfectly... I checked the fuse and its good...

So after checking all the wires and pulling the fuse I go back and turn the key on...NO green neutral light???

Anybody have any ideas? In stumped and frustrated!

:mad:

02-05-2007, 03:02 PM
It sounds like yer saying the ONLY difference (far as you can tell) is the removal of the tail light.

Is that right? If so, have you reconnected it and tried to fire it up?

Other than that, IF you recoonected everything correctly, it sounds like a fuse.

OR....

You didn't actually reconnect everything correctly.

Chin_Chilla
02-05-2007, 03:23 PM
The 2 wires from the tail light have been unplugged for almost 4 months now. That is why I'm saying i left them unplugged.

Do you have a pic of your setup...

Maybe I didn't do something right?

Also, what is that little round thing that is inbetween the fuse holder and the positive turminal on the battery? It is round shaped and the fuse wire splits from that to the fuse holder...

02-05-2007, 03:25 PM
http://www.hunt101.com/img/470580-big.jpg

Chin_Chilla
02-05-2007, 03:32 PM
That is a clean setup. Everything that was connected to the subframe is going inside the box for mine... so mine looks totally different than yours. I'll get a shot here in a minute, I'm going to pull everything out of the box, hook it up, see if it starts, then go from there.

HondaSkidoo
02-05-2007, 03:57 PM
Sounds like a ground issue. I would check your ground. My aluminum box came with a little star washer to asure a good ground. Just make sure you scrap all the paint off where your ground is.

Don't forget to put the rubber grommets on the front brackets. I would also reccomend tie wraping it to the frame.

Good Luck

AtvMxRider
02-05-2007, 04:08 PM
It's not grounded right. I had the same problem with my old 400ex when I installed an aluminum airbox. Make sure you get a good clean spot for the ground cable to mount.

boucherbuilders
02-05-2007, 06:40 PM
aluminum isnt a very good conductor for a ground, it should ground threw the bolt but maybe try moving it

JOEX
02-05-2007, 08:22 PM
The battery ground should be in the same place as in garandman's pic, or close to ;)

400exrider0004
02-05-2007, 09:07 PM
It is not grounded right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I had the exact same problem happen to me. I had the ground mounted to the aluminum and as I found out aluminum is not a good conductor. The problem is your ground!!!Guaranteed!!!!!!

Ace Sixx
02-06-2007, 04:07 AM
Aluminum is not a good conductor of electricity? Then why is it used as electrical wiring (even more so these days with the price of copper going up)? Just curious.

Chin_Chilla
02-06-2007, 08:18 AM
Well boys I went out today on a mission to get this bad boy to start... I had my ground on the rear aluminum mount of the box. I then mounted the ground to the bolt right behind that one as you can see from the red arrow on the pic. Started right up. Turns out it was a ground issue! Thanks everyone for the input. Another reason this site kicks *** !:macho

PS - Thanks again JoeX. I will need to get a pic of of the exhaust, I polished the canisters and everything looks real sharp... Pic to come soon!

boucherbuilders
02-10-2007, 05:36 PM
glad to see it worked out, same problem with grounding engines with aluminum heads