PDA

View Full Version : Cheap things to improve looks and performance on my 2004 400ex

DaMeech89
02-05-2007, 02:34 PM
I jus got my quad a couple months ago, it was all stock. It's very boring looking and its gettin boring to look at it lol. I dont have much money to spend on it, but i would like to improve the looks and the speed.

dariusld
02-05-2007, 03:43 PM
Use search, it helps. Type in header welds and choke removal, are free, but questionable gains. Removing the parking brake is cheap and cleans things up a bit, but little performance gain. Cutting your front fender down will help wind resistance and mainly looks. Use search, ton of info on these topics.

svahle
02-05-2007, 03:48 PM
Here are a few cheap suggestions for looks. 1. Race cut the front fenders 2. Watch ebay for a graphics kit 3. Add an aftermarket bumper 4. Add some nerfs 5. Find small parts on the quad that do not take much wear and tear and paint them. None of these are all that expensive especially on ebay. Also look in the atv parts for sale section of this forum.

As for performance 1. Remove air box lid 2. Add a K&N, Twin, or UNI filter 3. Add a slip-on exhaust 4. Rejet 5. Drop 1 tooth on the front sprocket (will lose top end but gain in the low end)

As for suspension, that gets a bit more pricey. Many people put 450r shocks on the front. I understand this requires only minimal modification to the shock and is a very nice upgrade. Extended a-arms are kind of high but again, a good used sets for reasonable prices do exist. Also an extended rear axle helps with stability.

I hope this helps.

DaMeech89
02-05-2007, 04:00 PM
thank you for the help guys