PDA

View Full Version : 04 no start, searched, tried it all.

slodsm
02-05-2007, 02:21 PM
It seemed like the usual cold start hatred of the 400 but no matter what I do now, it's just not happening and I am getting frustrated. Here is what I have done.

Been through to carb, all that should be there is there, nothing broke out of the blue, has a HMF full exhaust and a Uni filter and a DJ jet kit. Carb is jetted the standard stg1 jet for intake/exhaust with a lid still on (can't remember the jet), replaced the stock 38 pilot with a 42, everything is sealed properly, drained tank and carb and threw in fresh 93 JUST IN CASE, fresh ngk plug and the works.

Last Sunday, she was a bit of a pain to start but nothing bad. Rode it four an hour or so just playing around behind my house, back in the garage she went.

Well I needed room as I got my motor back from the machine shop for my car and so the 400 went in the bed of the truck as I have big fear theft and I wanted it with me and not just behind the house as I needed the entire garage. It was rained on one day while in the truck and then came out the next.

When I took it out, it wouldnt' start, not even a hint of wanting to start although I have everything required (fuel/air/spark) and so then I went on the pilot jet change fresh gas and plugs deal. Still nothing, not even a hint.

What could I have missed and is there anything the rain could have down that I haven't done just riding it in the wet? I am at a loss, sorry for the huge post but trying to get all the info out right off the bat. Thanks.

hondaracer57
02-05-2007, 04:57 PM
FUEL AIR SPARK COMPRESSION...if i was u check the compression.. it may sound stupid but thats the four thing i know ya need too make a motor run...

slodsm
02-05-2007, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by hondaracer57
FUEL AIR SPARK COMPRESSION...if i was u check the compression.. it may sound stupid but thats the four thing i know ya need too make a motor run...

It has compression as well, I thought that went without saying.

hondaracer57
02-05-2007, 06:41 PM
lol im stumped...ummmm maybe try a diff plug ive had an ngk get spark but not enough for it too run and it was brand new so i just threw the old one back in and ran perfect...how does the motor turn over faster than norm or slower...

mgraff400ex
02-06-2007, 12:13 PM
are u running an aftermarket rev box? what does the plug look like after you ran it, after u crank on it is the plug wet, dry, black, white? how do you know u have spark, did u check with a spark tester or just lay the plug against the engine? Battery fully charged? so many possibilities it's hard to stay but a wise man once told me "keep it simple, stupid"

slodsm
02-07-2007, 08:08 PM
OK, sorry for the added time it took to answer and thanks for the help so far, been busy as hell.

Rev box is stock, plug is brand new so no color yet as it hasn't fired but it is wet, not soaked, just damp. (I do know the difference, I am a mechanic for a living on turboshaft engines and do a lot of aftermarket builds as well on hotrods, just to clarify so you know I am not a COMPLETE idiot lol, just not "great" with carbs)

Don't have a tester, laid it against the block, battery is fully charged.

It's odd because the only thing that changed in the 4 or 5 days between me riding it and it saying "NO MORE" was a bit of rain while it was in my truck bed. It's not even on the same gas and everything has been flushed so I can't see the water playing a factor. Especially since it's an ATV and somewhat designed to get wet.

My next question is, will the coil still maintain enough spark to spark against the head but be dying out enough to not crank? I can't see this happening honestly, I have built a lot of cars with weaker (for what they were in) stock ignitions that would start and run like a top on the low end and under light throttle but once you laid into it and the boost built, then they would have blow out and shut off and on becuase it could n't maintain spark.

Just confused and don't know where to look next. If it had a MAP sensor, TPS, IAT, IACV and a fuel injector, I could figure it out already.

firefighterjosh
02-07-2007, 11:57 PM
Is the gap correct on the spark plug? Is your vavles adjusted?

Check the ebrake switch.

Maybe try putting a heat lamp or samimander next to it and heat it up and see if it starts.

slodsm
02-08-2007, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh

Check the ebrake switch.[/B]

E brake switch??? This I haven't heard of. What have I missed?

Haven't check valves in 4 hours, guess it wouldn't hurt, I have thought of the heat lamp though and put it by my keroscene heater and under my 2000 watt garage light for 3 hours a couple of days ago to get her to crank. No good.

firefighterjosh
02-08-2007, 03:49 AM
HERE YOU GO

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=281561

It talks about it there....I know on my warrior this was faulty and wouldn't let it start at all.

slodsm
02-08-2007, 04:00 AM
Thanks for the link Josh, I will look into that this afternoon. My ebrake is still on and functional but who knows. I have tried it with the clutch in, in neutral, and everywhere else but I am about out of ideas so anything is a help at the moment.

I appreciate it man.

firefighterjosh
02-08-2007, 04:03 AM
Maybe its just a bad plug? I dunno or a bad CDI. Maybe your already tried it. there is just so manu possibilites

1fst400
02-08-2007, 10:50 AM
I would say to try bump starting it. sometimes its just one of them things that will cleer itself out once its running.

monstergt88
02-08-2007, 11:14 AM
ive had the same problem on my 400ex in the winter once. The plug was bad. It was fauled. Took the plug out, put some gas on it and there you go. should start up.

hornetgod13
02-08-2007, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by slodsm
Thanks for the link Josh, I will look into that this afternoon. My ebrake is still on and functional but who knows. I have tried it with the clutch in, in neutral, and everywhere else but I am about out of ideas so anything is a help at the moment.

I appreciate it man.

It's not a "E-brake" switch. It's actually a clutch switch. It will prevent the starter from engaging if the quad is in gear. If the quad is in neutral this switch has no control over the starter. If it still won't crank in neutral than, it's something else causing your problem.

slodsm
02-08-2007, 03:56 PM
Well, the weather jumped up about 20 degrees today over normal. Went home on lunch and she fired up the first time. Spent about 30 minutes working with the idle air screw and she is still lean on the bottom so that would be my problem I suppose. Going to pick up a couple of larger pilot jets.

I do appreciate all the help guys and I learned some random new things that I would have probably not learned for a long time if I hadn't had this problem.

Thank again and sorry it wasn't a more in depth problem worth all the efforts lol, I can't believe it refused to crank at 20 degrees with a 42 pilot.