View Full Version : helppp

loc0gring0
02-05-2007, 11:36 AM
the gf and i both have 05 450r and they are both bogging at low rpm's. hers have a full fmf pipe and k&n intake with the air box lid off.. what should her jetting be roughly..hers a 185 main.. mine has no air box lid and the baffle taken out and boggs like crazyy at low rpms..what should that b around for jetting? i have a 165 main now.we haev only screwd around with the air/fuel screw and it doesnt change much otthere then that havent touch anything else we live in mass.

thanks

400exrider707
02-05-2007, 11:40 AM
You need to bump up pilot jets and you will need to raise the needle by moving the clip lower... start there

d3ktrix
02-05-2007, 11:44 AM
All 450r's bog at low RPM, esp the 05's. They are geared kinda high.
Your girls probably bogs less then yours because she has the pipe, little more response.

The main jet has little to do with low RPM running anyway.

Maybe go down 1 tooth on the front sprocket if you need some lower gearing for slow running.

Or is this something worse that started when u added mods?

duke416ex
02-05-2007, 12:04 PM
Going down 1 tooth in the front greatly helps the 04-05 models. My bike runs better with an hrc lid then with no lid, plus it gives you a little more protection from mud and stuff getting in the box. You can also cut the stock lid to simulate the hrc, you might check on that. The jetting sounds a little rich to me on both, but that's just me. You might want to check the plug and see how they are burning.

loc0gring0
02-05-2007, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by d3ktrix
All 450r's bog at low RPM, esp the 05's. They are geared kinda high.
Your girls probably bogs less then yours because she has the pipe, little more response.

The main jet has little to do with low RPM running anyway.

Maybe go down 1 tooth on the front sprocket if you need some lower gearing for slow running.

Or is this something worse that started when u added mods?

yep hers bogs a lil less then mine.. we did drop a tooth on hers. its better but still has it... asfar as mine i bought it like this and from what i know its always had the bog.

mymastifftucker
02-05-2007, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by duke416ex
Going down 1 tooth in the front greatly helps the 04-05 models. My bike runs better with an hrc lid then with no lid, plus it gives you a little more protection from mud and stuff getting in the box. You can also cut the stock lid to simulate the hrc, you might check on that. The jetting sounds a little rich to me on both, but that's just me. You might want to check the plug and see how they are burning.
It shouldnt be running rich with those jets. Upping the pilot and adjusting the needle should help fix the problem. Its also kind of cold up there right now......did the bogging get worse with the temp change?, With your mods both bikes should be in the right ballpark jetting wise, the 450's dont have a lot of down low power, they are pretty rev happy. I know its a different carb but on my 07 I have almost the same setup as your girls (i am running a rossier) and I have a 180 main with a CRF needle, and it screams.

loc0gring0
02-05-2007, 12:49 PM
its been about the same mayb more now then fall but its close.. im thinkin its the needle clip thing what ever that is lol

400exrider707
02-05-2007, 12:56 PM
Gearing has nothing to do with how the motor runs. It shouldn't bog no matter what you put on it. The motor doesn't see the gearing. Drop the clip on the needles one position at a time, and up the pilot jet size.... after you have your needle set, then you can mess with the air screw....;)

loc0gring0
02-05-2007, 06:52 PM
how hard is it to pull te carb out to get to the needle?

400exrider707
02-05-2007, 07:01 PM
two screws to loosen the carb from the boots, then you have to disconnect the cable which isn't complicated but can be tedious and then the hotstart cable which is one 14mm nut. Then its off. Dont forget the pilot jet too, its often overlooked and it will greatly aid with cold weather starting and your low to mid range punch, and the needle will definitely help in the mid.

red2004 TRX450R
02-06-2007, 02:18 PM
To get the proper jetting on a 04 05 450r with the lid off you need to run an after market needle.
get a Honda HRC or sparks needle

run that around the middle setting with a 185-195 main jet and it should be fine.
that is for a 04-05 with full system, HRC lid or no lid and a high flow air filter.

and i would cut the lid like the HRC

loc0gring0
02-06-2007, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by red2004 TRX450R
To get the proper jetting on a 04 05 450r with the lid off you need to run an after market needle.
get a Honda HRC or sparks needle

run that around the middle setting with a 185-195 main jet and it should be fine.
that is for a 04-05 with full system, HRC lid or no lid and a high flow air filter.

and i would cut the lid like the HRC

how much would a new needle be? and whats cutting the stock air box like the HRC do and look like im sorry im a moron when it comes to doing techincal(sp) stuff.. someone needs 2 live closer so they can help me lol

mymastifftucker
02-07-2007, 04:01 AM
Buy a Protec lid. Running with the lid off is just asking for trouble, even the HRC lid has the rear half of the lid cut off, which is fine if your not splashing through mud and water (or real dusty). I bought the CRF needle on my 07, from my local Honda dealer for about $15.00.

red2004 TRX450R
02-07-2007, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by mymastifftucker
Buy a Protec lid. Running with the lid off is just asking for trouble, even the HRC lid has the rear half of the lid cut off, which is fine if your not splashing through mud and water (or real dusty). I bought the CRF needle on my 07, from my local Honda dealer for about $15.00.

the 05 is different form the 07

the HRC needle for the 04 05 is 16201-NLZ-651

see the lid
http://www.hrcusa.com/images/trx450r-hrc-power-up-kit.jpg

I run a home made HRC lid with a outerwear on it . I dont have problems with water

http://www.outerwearsracing.com/images/gallery/151%2Dworks%2Ejpg

loc0gring0
02-08-2007, 11:08 AM
ii took the carb out today and now im lost i took the bottom of the bowl off and looked around but didnt know what is what and how 2 change the needle. could some1 help me? feel free to im me at loc0gring02gs

red2004 TRX450R
02-08-2007, 01:50 PM
you don't have to take the carb out you can just remove the fount fenders and gas tank to get the to carb top and then just loosen the clamps and turn it to get to the bottom.

the needle is under the top cover and the main jet is on the bottom under the 17mm cover

go to http://www.rockinhorseweb.com/ then click on TRX How To Guides! them HRC install

do steps 1 2 3 8 9 10 to jet it.

loc0gring0
02-09-2007, 08:21 AM
carbs out and changed the needle and the other 2 jets and hopefully itll work when i put it in 2dayyy

loc0gring0
02-10-2007, 12:30 PM
so after doing the needle down 1 clip and a 50 and a 168 jet change cleaned it also...its sounds better but still boggs as low rpm's ive tried 2 play with the fuel screw but it still does it.. any idea? im really getting sick of it doing it. baffles out and air box lid off is all i have done 2 it..