PDA

View Full Version : TCS vs PEP

MX450
02-05-2007, 11:11 AM
How do TCS compare to Pep 8 click com adj lt shocks for C class racing... are peps worth the extra 300 buxs?

Colby@C&DRacing
02-05-2007, 12:00 PM
The TCS shocks are great quality I know you would be really happy with them.

AtvMxRider
02-05-2007, 05:01 PM
I have TCS on my 400 and love them

R3Concepts
02-05-2007, 08:49 PM
TCS are good C level shocks.

The difference between the 8 click PEPs and TCS are night and day though. If you want a shock to get you through C class then go TCS. And if you want a set to move up to A on some day then buy the PEP 8 click.

Colby@C&DRacing
02-06-2007, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by R3Concepts
TCS are good C level shocks.

The difference between the 8 click PEPs and TCS are night and day though. If you want a shock to get you through C class then go TCS. And if you want a set to move up to A on some day then buy the PEP 8 click.

This sounds like an opinion how about some factual info to back it up.

R3Concepts
02-06-2007, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
This sounds like an opinion how about some factual info to back it up.

I rode for Todd Davis on TCS when I raced on a 426ex, and Wayne in 05/06 on PEPs and the difference is night and day. The rebound differences in the shocks are night and day. The rebound is not fast enough in the TCS for my style. The TCS dampening is a little harsh. Todd does well and should having worked for Race Tech for many years. But Im sorry, Wayne is years ahead. Ive ridden them all expect for the new Bilsteins, and the Motowozs, and PEPs are still the best for my style.

And like you said its an OPINION, thats what hes looking for. Support your sponsors and distributers like you should, but your on some good stuff if you think they are in the same league.

Colby@C&DRacing
02-06-2007, 12:44 PM
As for the rebound this is an easy fix the bleed size on the piston needs to be increased. I wasn't attacking you just wanting more info to back up your statment. I personally have also ridden and revalved a lot of shocks and was not impressed with the PEP shocks

7 speed
02-06-2007, 01:22 PM
As for the rebound this is an easy fix the bleed size on the piston needs to be increased. I wasn't attacking you just wanting more info to back up your statment. I personally have also ridden and revalved a lot of shocks and was not impressed with the PEP shocks

So do you have any factual info that TCS is better than PEP?
Not bashing just seriously wondering.
I have yet to see as many TCS shocks in the pro ranks as you do PEP's.

So I would assume there is a reason for that but I would like to know.

svahle
02-06-2007, 03:03 PM
I have a set of PEPs and have ridden TCS quite a bit. I like both just fine. If I had to pick, I would probably go with the PEP. But sometimes money is the issue. In that case, TCS are a nice setup.

pudamac12
02-06-2007, 05:33 PM
I have ridden both and would place pep before tcs. they are a little bit smoother and are more adjustable if you get the right ones. I run motowoz and think they are even better then peps though. You should check them out.

R3Concepts
02-06-2007, 08:47 PM

I want out of the box good shocks. If I wanted to send shocks back and forth to get re-done Id get Elkas. PEPs are the best hands down out of the box shocks.

Of course IMO.:rolleyes:

pudamac12
02-06-2007, 09:07 PM
I would put motowoz right there with pep on accuracy right out of the box

KB Motorsports
02-06-2007, 09:41 PM
I don't sell PEP so I don't have any customer feedback about them; however, I've sold plenty of TCS and I haven't had any negative feedback. I've sold a few motowozs shocks without negative feedback also...

I believe you wouldn't go wrong if you went with TCS over PEP, and it would sure help the wallet out a lot.

Whoever you place your order with, be sure to tell them everything.. Your riding style, weight, height, tires, and class.. Be sure to be as honest as you can... Tell them what you don't like about the shocks your running now, and tell them where you want to see the most improvements.

Colby@C&DRacing
02-07-2007, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by R3Concepts
I want out of the box good shocks. If I wanted to send shocks back and forth to get re-done Id get Elkas. PEPs are the best hands down out of the box shocks.

Of course IMO.:rolleyes:

I never said PEP didn't make a nice shock. I like the performance of the TCS shocks and yes they are usally cheaper than the PEP shocks. I am sure not even PEP gets every shock spot on right out of the box ;).

IMO :)

Colby@C&DRacing
02-07-2007, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by 7 speed
So do you have any factual info that TCS is better than PEP?
Not bashing just seriously wondering.
I have yet to see as many TCS shocks in the pro ranks as you do PEP's.

So I would assume there is a reason for that but I would like to know.

I never said that the TCS were better shocks. I said that I did not like the pep shocks that I rode but again they were LT front and rear on a 450r and were bolted on right out of the box. I am sure with some tuning time they would be great. As for not very many PRO's running TCS shock if the only reason we choose a shock is be cause the pro's run them, then we should all be on elkas because I see far more of them on atvs than any other shock.

As for proof of opinion we sell a lot of shocks and have never had anyone complain about the ride quality on the TCS shocks we sold them. Are there better shocks available sure but not for the same price.

7 speed
02-07-2007, 09:22 AM
I never said that the TCS were better shocks. I said that I did not like the pep shocks that I rode but again they were LT front and rear on a 450r and were bolted on right out of the box. I am sure with some tuning time they would be great. As for not very many PRO's running TCS shock if the only reason we choose a shock is be cause the pro's run them, then we should all be on elkas because I see far more of them on atvs than any other shock.

As for proof of opinion we sell a lot of shocks and have never had anyone complain about the ride quality on the TCS shocks we sold them. Are there better shocks available sure but not for the same price.

Great response.
Thank you
:)

mad440
02-07-2007, 09:39 AM

I think most people do end up buying elkas because of the pros running them, but end up selling them because they are not happy with the fit and finish. I see more elka shocks and shock components in the parts for sale forum then PEP and TCS combined, my observation but dosent seem like youd go wrong with either one. Me personally I went with PEP because Baldwin Motorsports is 30min from my house and I like the service I get when I walk in there.

jacobw
02-07-2007, 04:26 PM
I have had elkas and they were good but had to tinker with them to get them to feel good and then I have had 2 sets of Tcs and they were spot on and felt better then my elkas with no tinkering. Now I have TCS converted ohlins and they are great. And the reason you dont see TCS in the pro ranks is that TCS dont have the money to hand out shocks to pros like elka or pep, ohlins, custom axis:D

deathman53
02-07-2007, 05:55 PM
the pro's use whatever their sponser gives to them. Many pro's change shock brands from year to year, and then they go on to say "the elka's were so much better than pep", the next year "those new peps with the big bottles, killed every other shock I had", they go on next year to say their brand of shocks is better than last year. Its all what they are paid to use. They change companies for a-arms, sometimes mid-season and then go on to say how much better the new ones are, the next time they change they say the same thing. A-arms haven't changed that much to say that each one is far better than the other. How can they say what is the best, if they use it for one race and then get new ones???? Most of your pro's race bikes are took down the frame and rebuilt every race w/ new stuff. Take it from non-sponsered racers what works good and lasts, most of them paid their own money to buy this stuff and didn't get paid to say what is best.

ALAMX37
02-07-2007, 06:55 PM
Look at what the fast riders use. Pro, Pro-AM, and A class. I haven't seen anyone in these classes running TCS and I'll bet there is a reason for it. But I am not going to argue. Ask any fast racer and the response will be PEP. Wayne has been building shocks ten years before TCS even came to be. Of course my opinion is PEP.
Only my opinion!!!!!!!!1

MX450
02-07-2007, 08:52 PM
Hey thanks for the input guys

as far as the pros go, who cares what they are running, you cant get what they run anyways, weather it says elka, pep, axis, fox, ect... you cant buy em

ALAMX37
02-08-2007, 08:41 AM
Thats not true. You can buy the same shocks the pro's have. The thing is we normal people don't have the resources to tune the shocks to a pro level. You can get the same Axis as Byrd, same floats as Gust, and on and on. Under the AMA sanctioning teh products the Pro's use must be available to the public.

MX450
02-08-2007, 09:02 AM
oh, didnt know that

anyways, im not worried about what the pros run

400grl
02-09-2007, 09:43 AM
What sold me on the TCS shocks is the fact that I can call and GET AHOLD of people at TCS......try getting ahold of Wayne sometime at PEP - if you aren't in his personal phone directory, you are screwed.....plain and simple.

bradley300
02-09-2007, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by ALAMX37
Look at what the fast riders use. Pro, Pro-AM, and A class. I haven't seen anyone in these classes running TCS and I'll bet there is a reason for it. But I am not going to argue. Ask any fast racer and the response will be PEP. Wayne has been building shocks ten years before TCS even came to be. Of course my opinion is PEP.
Only my opinion!!!!!!!!1

well that depends on what racer you ask! how many xc pro's are using PEP's? 1? or did rice switch also?