In process of getting/have:
Turbo- IHI RHB31
fuel pump- Purolator brand off a 5.0 mustang
bypass valve off a vortech supercharger
boost gauge

Still need to get:
intercooler off of a 1st gen talon or eclipse
rising rate fuel pressure regulator
brake line to act as pitot tube (so the carb can understand boost)
various wire and a relay to write fuel pump & regulator to ignition circuit
Clutch components- my OEM stuff is on its last leg
Various piping- probably 1.25" and then connecting to my T-4 silencer so it's nice and quiet

I think i'm going to reevaluate going to forged internals so soon, my blowby is probably from my valve guides. As soon as i find out what the turbo is wastegated at I'll make a gameplan. I could probably get away with a few lbs for the time being.

I'm pretty sure i wont be hacking up the T-4 header. it's just too nice of a piece. So the OEM exhaust manifold will see the grinder and mig.

More updates and pics to come

SGARCIA89LX
02-05-2007, 08:31 AM
good luck with it.i tell my kids all the time,dont let anybody tell you it cant be done.:cool:

ryanh250ex
02-05-2007, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by SGARCIA89LX
good luck with it.i tell my kids all the time,dont let anybody tell you it cant be done.:cool:

Thanks!

I saw a pic you posted of your mustang, that thing ripped a pretty nasty wheelie!

Kickstarts-suck
02-05-2007, 09:28 AM
atleast do it to a 300ex

250exs will still only go a certain top speed.

it would get boring quick IMO

Im not saying DON'T do it but not being able to change the gearing will be a big drawback.

it should be cool anyway

blasterfreak99
02-05-2007, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Kickstarts-suck
atleast do it to a 300ex

250exs will still only go a certain top speed.

it would get boring quick IMO

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=279991

Kickstarts-suck
02-05-2007, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by blasterfreak99
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=279991

that would be the old thread ;)

Dan229
02-05-2007, 09:55 AM
Here is an article on the subject of turbo charging an ATV

http://www.paatving.com/Articles/turboraptor/feature/turboraptor.asp

blasterfreak99
02-05-2007, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Dan229
Here is an article on the subject of turbo charging an ATV

http://www.paatving.com/Articles/turboraptor/feature/turboraptor.asp

i read that in dirt wheels a few years back. i bet that rappy and 400ex is a beast.:devil:

blasterfreak99
02-05-2007, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Kickstarts-suck
that would be the old thread ;)

yup;)

ryanh250ex
02-05-2007, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the support. The thread that is posted a few posts up is the old thread. I'm starting anew because there was a few select people who preferred to trash my thread. Jealousy is the sincerest form of flattery i suppose.

My main problem right now is how am i going to feed oil to this thing. Turbos typically like a certain amount of oil pressure and without my trusty Honda shop manual on me I have no way of figuring that out. I thought that the 250 was dry-sump, but after discovering that my info was wrong,

I know that the lines that run to the oil cooler are more or less bent in a 90 degree angle to go up there.

Can anyone with a 250ex manual take pics or scan what it says about the oiling system? I'm sure they have specs for oil pressure and so on.

Dan229
02-05-2007, 11:41 AM
Ryan,

You can also go to www.hondapartsworld.com and look at their microfiche if you need a quick reference to something. It isn’t a substitute for the info in the service manual but if you are at work, etc…and a spark flies across the brain it might come in handy as a reference tool.

Also comes in real handy if you are looking for a part to "adapt" to your project and do not want to buy a half dozen manuals.

ryanh250ex
02-05-2007, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Dan229
Ryan,

You can also go to www.hondapartsworld.com and look at their microfiche if you need a quick reference to something. It isn’t a substitute for the info in the service manual but if you are at work, etc…and a spark flies across the brain it might come in handy as a reference tool.

Also comes in real handy if you are looking for a part to "adapt" to your project and do not want to buy a half dozen manuals.

Thanks Dan.

I really need access to a shop manual more than anything else. just so i can get specifications, tolerances, etc.

In other news I just found out the turbo i'm buying is wastegated at 8 psi. I feel pretty confident that a slightly beefed up motor should be able to handle it.

blasterfreak99
02-05-2007, 11:55 AM
it should defianetly hold up to 8lbs boost

Dan229
02-05-2007, 12:02 PM
I don't see an issue with the engine handling 8psi either. Figuring out how and where to mount everything, keeping it cool, etc...is where the ole noodle is gonna get a work out. lol

Should be a fun project and make sure to post some pic of the progress.

ryanh250ex
02-05-2007, 12:06 PM
Cooling is going to be an issue. I run synthetic so that helps but it's going to have to be changed every 2-3 rides.

I will be running an intercooler in place of the airbox.

I have access to a MIG welder so custom piping, etc should be a cinch.

blasterfreak99
02-05-2007, 12:09 PM
did you win the turbo on ebay?

ryanh250ex
02-05-2007, 12:14 PM
did you win the turbo on ebay?

Nope, 40 hrs left to the auction :rolleyes:

I have a max bid set so I'm not really concerned.

blasterfreak99
02-05-2007, 12:16 PM
kool. good luck with it ;)

Tater049
02-05-2007, 12:17 PM
can you just give me one reason why you want to do this to a 250ex. Why not a 400ex at least?

blasterfreak99
02-05-2007, 12:20 PM
read the old thread from the beginning

Tater049
02-05-2007, 12:21 PM
no, im asking him not you

ryanh250ex
02-05-2007, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Tater049
can you just give me one reason why you want to do this to a 250ex. Why not a 400ex at least?

I've already gone through this with you BUT because i'm in a good mood we'll try it again

1) because i already have a 250
2) because the money i'd get for the 250 would get me a clapped out 400ex that i would have to spend more money to rebuild and then mod
3) because i can
4) because nobody in the world has done this before. I dare to be different
5) this wasn't originally part of it, but the sheer entertainment i'll get out of proving you wrong :D

That good enough for ya? Because it sure is for me.

Tater049
02-05-2007, 12:26 PM
enough sed, thats good enough for me 2. Hey im in a good mood too now so, whatever floats your boat man.

ryanh250ex
02-05-2007, 12:34 PM
whats your problem? i don't care if you were asking me or not i answered you. and if you don't like it you can shove this post up your arse

hey hey hey, if you guys wanna mess around take it to PM. I'm not having another one of my threads trashed.

blasterfreak99
02-05-2007, 12:36 PM
srry i'll delete it but that just really rubbed me the wrong way. like my answer isn't good enough for him or something.

Tater049
02-05-2007, 12:41 PM
its not, and thats why i told you that

SGARCIA89LX
02-05-2007, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by ryanh250ex
Thanks!

I saw a pic you posted of your mustang, that thing ripped a pretty nasty wheelie! Thanks.my friends said my mustang would never be as fast as it is with the parts it has,and i did it with a stock suspension :D

JIMFROMTEXCO
02-05-2007, 03:25 PM
isnt that ihi turbo off of a 1st gen probe gt? a 1st gen auto turbo dsm has a small turbo its self.. if i remeber correctly its a 13g.. the stock dsm intercooler would be really good on that application.. i also think the 2nd gen intercoolers are a little bit smaller then the first gen.. i want to keep my eyes on this thread im considering turboing my old 250x motor in a gocart or pilot frame.

i like the way turbos hit just suddenly plants back in your seat.. ive got a 94 eclipse ive pulled a 13.4 out of with just bolt ons

Tater049
02-05-2007, 03:31 PM
can you post up a pic of the eclipse?

JIMFROMTEXCO
02-05-2007, 03:35 PM
i have one on my myspace when i first got it... http://www.myspace.com/joshdragonn

Tater049
02-05-2007, 03:36 PM
i didnt see it there

JIMFROMTEXCO
02-05-2007, 03:43 PM
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=10611454&albumID=0&imageID=350323033
thats the direct link

i had to edit my post i forgot an n at the end

ryanh250ex
02-05-2007, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by JIMFROMTEXCO
isnt that ihi turbo off of a 1st gen probe gt? a 1st gen auto turbo dsm has a small turbo its self.. if i remeber correctly its a 13g.. the stock dsm intercooler would be really good on that application.. i also think the 2nd gen intercoolers are a little bit smaller then the first gen.. i want to keep my eyes on this thread im considering turboing my old 250x motor in a gocart or pilot frame.

i like the way turbos hit just suddenly plants back in your seat.. ive got a 94 eclipse ive pulled a 13.4 out of with just bolt ons

You're close- I'm pretty sure the turbo you're thinking of, is the IHI RHB5. this is the IHI RHB31. There is several variations of both. This is the smallest of them all.

As far as here in the states goes, I think the only car that came with the RHB31 is the 1.0 suzuki swift. Globally, they were on alot of Suzuki Kei cars, which are restricted to 660cc.

Thanks for the heads up on the 2nd gen DSM intercoolers, i was always under the impression that the 1st gens were the ones to use.

I recently figured out how to read a compressor map and all looks well. Now that i know for sure how much I'll be boosting if I can spool it up that much, I have to re-do my calculations, but when i did them the other night, i was within the surge limit.

JIMFROMTEXCO
02-05-2007, 04:19 PM
swits are awesome feild cars in na form id like to find a turbo swift.

the first gens are bigger then the 2nd gen.. i just figured you would want a smaller intercooler to reduce lag..

how much boost is the wastegate set at? what is the cfm rating on that turbo?

ryanh250ex
02-05-2007, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by ridered282
ok people have turbocharged 250s before and i know that for a fact because my uncle has done it and it ****ed it up to know end and he had to fix more because of it than it was worth, and no he was not the one that did the work

WOW, i really got you hook line and sinker , dont I?

You just wont go away. Hell, you're more clingy than some of the girls I've dated!

You keep trashin my build, knockin on my work, I asked you to post up pics of your own stuff, seeing as you are coming off as the all-knowing. and it seems to have fallen on deaf ears. I'm betting you have a 300ex seeing as you just registered and that is their displacement. So cmon, post some pics.

If your uncle did it why didn't you mention it in your first post? What turbo did he use? how much boost? fuel management? Or did you just come up with that white lie now? :rolleyes:

No pics, no voice.

Edit: Jim i was really looking for a small intercooler for weight/fitment constraints. As long as that intake air gets cooled some I'll be happy. The wastegate is set at 8 psi (.6 bar IIRC) and I dont recall how many CFM the turbo flows but i do know it's supposed to be good till about 125 hp roughly.

m.h.s.c.#527
02-05-2007, 05:14 PM
no he did i saw it that kid live pretty close to me

Pipeless416
02-05-2007, 05:35 PM
well, i'll say it again. good luck with your project. i think it will be really cool once its finished and it really seems like you know your stuff. just wondering, would running a larger oil cooler thats meant for a 400ex be possible? theres one made by desert toys :confused: i believe. or possibly adding an oil reservoir between the cooler and the engine just to hold some more oil? well, keep us updated! by not being home 75% of the time, im guessing you're in college too?

m.h.s.c.#527
02-05-2007, 05:58 PM
thats a good idea but wouldnt it be hard to know how much oil to put in well maybe not just run the quad and let it fill the oil lines thats a really good idea

ryanh250ex
02-05-2007, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by m.h.s.c.#527
no he did i saw it that kid live pretty close to me

mmmmmhmmm.....sounds awful funny seeing as it more or less sounded like you didn't even know what a turbo looked like...

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
im not tryin to be a deusche all this stuff he has dun internal how do we no if ur even doin this crap im just sayin
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can see turbos pretty easily on quads...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pipeless, thanks. It's taken a good deal of research for me to get to this point. If i keep the rpms to a minimum and baby the clutch i think it will hold up well.

As far as the oiling situation goes, the bike will automatically have slightly more capacity due to the fact that there is extra oil lines and such.

I dont think a oil tank a la 400ex style would work, seeing as the 400ex is dry-sump lubrication whereas the 250 is wet-sump. I saw a oil cooler from a Honda CX500 Turbo motorcycle that looked EXACTLY like the 250's , just bigger. I may go with that, or something close.

JIMFROMTEXCO
02-05-2007, 09:19 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/89-FORD-PROBE-GT-INTERCOOLER-Turbo-charger_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQihZ004QQ itemZ140080891140QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/S13-SR20DET-stock-intercooler_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQihZ0 12QQitemZ220077617225QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

i brosed ebay for a few minutes and came up with 2 intercooler that look smaller then the dsm... i know the probe intercooler is smaller. but for the best bang for the buck id say a 2g dsm intercooler..

are you going to put a BOV on it? stock dsms are good units and sound good when there not recirculated. do you have a link to the turbo you purchased? you may be able to change the spring on the waste gate if you wanted less boost.

i was going to recomend checking out the honda cx500 and cx650 but i see you allready know about them!

to bad you cant add some length to that swinger because i have a feeling your gonna need it!!! i know on cars 1 pound of properly tuned boost is equal to 10 hp..

ryanh250ex
02-05-2007, 10:22 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/89-FORD-PROBE-GT-INTERCOOLER-Turbo-charger_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQihZ004QQ itemZ140080891140QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/S13-SR20DET-stock-intercooler_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQihZ0 12QQitemZ220077617225QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

i brosed ebay for a few minutes and came up with 2 intercooler that look smaller then the dsm... i know the probe intercooler is smaller. but for the best bang for the buck id say a 2g dsm intercooler..

are you going to put a BOV on it? stock dsms are good units and sound good when there not recirculated. do you have a link to the turbo you purchased? you may be able to change the spring on the waste gate if you wanted less boost.

i was going to recomend checking out the honda cx500 and cx650 but i see you allready know about them!

to bad you cant add some length to that swinger because i have a feeling your gonna need it!!! i know on cars 1 pound of properly tuned boost is equal to 10 hp..

Jim,

the link to the exact turbo is right here http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOTORCYCLE-QUAD-Turbo-Worlds-Smallest-New-Perfect-NICE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQihZ006QQite mZ160080658731QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

A good friend was going to sell me a bypass valve off a mopar vortech blower. I'm aware that the 1st gen DSM Bovs are fantastic but I was under the impression that they were pretty sought after. I dont want to sacrifice quality for less $$$ but I would like to not spend any more than I have to.

obviously because we're working with less displacement here you're nto going to see those kind of gains, but since a 400ex saw a 100% power increase at 14 psi of intercooled boost I would not be surprised if i saw a 30-40 percent gain on 8 lbs. Should be an interesting ride for sure
:eek2:

Pipeless416
02-05-2007, 10:50 PM
Pipeless, thanks. It's taken a good deal of research for me to get to this point. If i keep the rpms to a minimum and baby the clutch i think it will hold up well.

As far as the oiling situation goes, the bike will automatically have slightly more capacity due to the fact that there is extra oil lines and such.

I dont think a oil tank a la 400ex style would work, seeing as the 400ex is dry-sump lubrication whereas the 250 is wet-sump. I saw a oil cooler from a Honda CX500 Turbo motorcycle that looked EXACTLY like the 250's , just bigger. I may go with that, or something close. [/B][/QUOTE]

i looked it up and it does look very close to the stock 250s as far as mounting goes. and with the 400ex oil tank, i mean what if you kinda spliced some kind of extra 'holding tank' into the oil lines just to have more oil circulating? i dont know too much about keeping oil pressure or if that would change anything.. :confused: but yea i guess you will have quite a few extra lines. this is gonna be awesome.

Project300EX
02-06-2007, 09:04 AM
1 LB of boost does not equate to 10 HP. Gains depend on the specific motor, tuning, and many factors. Just thought I would clear that up.

Also Ryan I have a "crushed" 1G bov that I would sell cheap if you're interested. It was part of a turbo 2G NT project of mine that I parted, since I got another car.

ryanh250ex
02-06-2007, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Project300EX
1 LB of boost does not equate to 10 HP. Gains depend on the specific motor, tuning, and many factors. Just thought I would clear that up.

Also Ryan I have a "crushed" 1G bov that I would sell cheap if you're interested. It was part of a turbo 2G NT project of mine that I parted, since I got another car.

You have a PM sir

-Ryan

ryanh250ex
02-06-2007, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Pipeless416

I dont think a oil tank a la 400ex style would work, seeing as the 400ex is dry-sump lubrication whereas the 250 is wet-sump. I saw a oil cooler from a Honda CX500 Turbo motorcycle that looked EXACTLY like the 250's , just bigger. I may go with that, or something close.

i looked it up and it does look very close to the stock 250s as far as mounting goes. and with the 400ex oil tank, i mean what if you kinda spliced some kind of extra 'holding tank' into the oil lines just to have more oil circulating? i dont know too much about keeping oil pressure or if that would change anything.. :confused: but yea i guess you will have quite a few extra lines. this is gonna be awesome. [/B][/QUOTE]

It's not a matter of it fitting- i know it will- but what i was saying is that the 400ex uses a totally different style oiling system compared to the 250ex. the 400 keeps all of its oil in a exterior tank, whereas the 250's is similiar to most cars, with a pan-like area holding all the oil in the crankcase.

Does your brother have a shop manual for the 250? If so i would really appreciate if you guys can look up the oiling system for it. I really need to know approximately what pressure it puts out.

Pipeless416
02-06-2007, 10:16 AM
[i] Does your brother have a shop manual for the 250? If so i would really appreciate if you guys can look up the oiling system for it. I really need to know approximately what pressure it puts out. [/B]

you bet, i'll make sure to call him when hes home from school.

sandmanblue
02-06-2007, 10:31 AM
You are taking a 16 hp 250ex and putting a turbo on it and targeting 8 psi, which will net you another 8 hp or so for a total of 24 hp?

I think I also read that you are using a turbo that supports well over 100 hp as your choice?

Interesting.

ryanh250ex
02-06-2007, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by sandmanblue
You are taking a 16 hp 250ex and putting a turbo on it and targeting 8 psi, which will net you another 8 hp or so for a total of 24 hp?

I think I also read that you are using a turbo that supports well over 100 hp as your choice?

Interesting.

I dont quite get what you're implying. that the turbo is too big?

the auction says it can be used on 190cc till about 900cc. it will flow good for approx 125hp.

It's been used on 660cc car motors, implying that it will spool very low ( cars dont typically rev as high in each gear as we do on bikes).

I've checked the compressor map, assuming 85% volumetric efficiency and 150 degree F for intake temp (610 rankin) it was within the surge limits of the turbo. The dots on the attached compressor map are at 2500, 4000, 6000, and 8500 rpm respectively.

While i wish it was smaller, i think it will spool just fine.

Which 450?
02-06-2007, 06:08 PM
I'm interested to see how this turns out. Mostly if he actually does it, everyone says their gonna do everything, but no one ever does anything. No need to reply to me, I wont believe anything you say, but I will believe what I see. :)

BlasterEaten250
02-06-2007, 07:41 PM
Does your brother have a shop manual for the 250? If so i would really appreciate if you guys can look up the oiling system for it. I really need to know approximately what pressure it puts out. It doesn't say anything about oil pressure in the clymers. I really thought it would too.:ermm: I looked for almost half an hour, read through everything and it didn't say anything. Sorry I couldn't help you with that but I have it sittin right here if you need anything else.

m.h.s.c.#527
02-06-2007, 08:27 PM
so when u gunna tear into it

ryanh250ex
02-06-2007, 10:45 PM
12 hrs until the turbo auction ends, i'm still winning it as of writing this post

fuel pump is done deal, 1st gen DSM BOV will be bought tomorrow

Instead of attempting to make the JE 11.5 piston work I'm going to instead get a machine shop to copy a OEM Honda piston. Honda sells (cast) overbore pistons up to .040 over, which means all i need to go is to get one made in forged. Then when i'm done with the cast piston i can sell it as new and only lose a few bucks in the process.

I have decided I will be buying a revbox.

I have discovered that someone DOES make a heavy-duty connecting rod for the 250- Vesrah (Vesrah.com) . I havent found anyone using their rods but they are known for their brake pads and everyone says they are top-notch. type in "vesrah sucks" on google and you only get one sarcastic remark. :D

So far money spent:
Turbo (assuming i win it): 420
fuel pump: 15
BOV: 30
boost gauge: 25
total: 490

To buy before I can actually run it with a turbo to get a baseline for tuning and performance:
DPK or Vesrah clutch kit: 95 shipped (OEM is on its last leg)
intercooler: 25 bucks
various stainless piping: 50?
fuel pressure regulator: 80
various lines for carb modification and oil lines: 75
total: 325 ballpark

Projected future costs:
revbox: 100
Vesrah rod: 100 shipped
custom piston: 150 +56 dollar honda piston
clean-up port/polish- 200
bore & hone: 70
various gaskets, etc: 60
Labor for rebuild:500 i'm guessing..i'll be removing the engine to save the builder some time, and on my end, money. They will only be doing the rebuild, the turbo system will be done by me with the assistance of a friend or two.
Total: 880

ryanh250ex
02-07-2007, 10:54 AM
:rolleyes: Someone outbid me on the turbo. I was in class at the end of the auction so there was nothing I could do.

Good news though. 1) I dont have to spend 450 on a turbo anymore :D and 2) I found an EVEN SMALLER turbo that I KNOW will spool pretty hard on a 250.

Stay tuned

sandmanblue
02-07-2007, 01:08 PM
I dont quite get what you're implying.....

It sounds like a mad scientist's project.

I knew a guy years ago that did this sort of stuff, just to say he did it. Some of his contraptions worked okay, some didn't. At one point he wanted to supercharge a lawnmower engine that was in a go-cart.... Yes, I am being serious...

In the end, he butchered a lot of stuff and never owned anything reliable. He broke lots of things in the process. You could never ask him to go ride, because his stuff was always torn apart. He also wasted a lot of money trying to do something himself that he hadn't seen done before.

I never told him that what he was doing wouldn't work. That would just make him work harder at it. What I saw was all the money he spent trying to be different getting spent and never recovered. I mean, who the heck is gonna buy a supercharged lawnmower engined go-kart?

I'm not slamming your project in any way. I guess I am just wondering why - especially since you might very well end up with an unreliable/unsellable quad when you're done that isn't any faster than the clapped out 400ex you could buy to replace it now...

Good luck, no matter what you do.

ryanh250ex
02-07-2007, 03:34 PM
It sounds like a mad scientist's project.

I knew a guy years ago that did this sort of stuff, just to say he did it. Some of his contraptions worked okay, some didn't. At one point he wanted to supercharge a lawnmower engine that was in a go-cart.... Yes, I am being serious...

In the end, he butchered a lot of stuff and never owned anything reliable. He broke lots of things in the process. You could never ask him to go ride, because his stuff was always torn apart. He also wasted a lot of money trying to do something himself that he hadn't seen done before.

I never told him that what he was doing wouldn't work. That would just make him work harder at it. What I saw was all the money he spent trying to be different getting spent and never recovered. I mean, who the heck is gonna buy a supercharged lawnmower engined go-kart?

I'm not slamming your project in any way. I guess I am just wondering why - especially since you might very well end up with an unreliable/unsellable quad when you're done that isn't any faster than the clapped out 400ex you could buy to replace it now...

Good luck, no matter what you do.

First off, I appreciate your candor.

I totally understand why someone would question why I'm doing this. You pretty much hit the nail on the head.

I dare to be different, and I'm looking for a challenge. I've ridden 400s, raptors, etc both stock and highly modified, and while it's fun, it's been done a million times over. Theres pretty much nowhere to go. I want something that says, this is my work, this is the fruit of my own labor, it's totally unique. After all the posts that say "buy a 400/450/660/700", i want someone to say "wow, maybe there IS some potential in a 250".

The motorwork is being done by a professional (due to time/tool constraints).

The turbo system will be fabricated and tuned by me with the help of a few friends. It will be backed by hours and hours of research on blow-through carbureted setups. I have consulted several times with a ex-Kawasaki mechanic that has built over 10 turbo motorcycles using the same setup i plan on using- including a ZX11R making 240 hp on pump gas. I've never tuned a force-fed motor, but I have several years of experience with tuning NA applications.

I take alot of pride in my stuff. I wont settle for something half-assed.

-Ryan

ryanh250ex
02-07-2007, 05:45 PM
made arragements to buy a Axis 300ex rear shock :D

blasterfreak99
02-07-2007, 06:10 PM
that other turbo that you are talking about, how much is it? and is it a for sure buy or is it another auction?

ryanh250ex
02-07-2007, 06:21 PM
that other turbo that you are talking about, how much is it? and is it a for sure buy or is it another auction?

It's another auction. 24 hrs left.

It ends 8pm tomorrow night so theres no way i can miss the end of the auction.

Caseys 300ex
02-07-2007, 06:35 PM
I dont look at what your trying to do and call you nuts. I think its awsome. I always wondered why people but all these engine mods into a 300ex until i got one. Everyone is so worried about wanting a bigger 4 wheeler to feel better about themselves. I give you props for taking a 4 wheeler that you like and doing what you want to it and not worrying about what people think. Good for you!!;) :macho

BlasterEaten250
02-07-2007, 08:16 PM
made arragements to buy a Axis 300ex rear shock :D sweet. just for your information before I said that you had to mount it upside down, well I went out and tried switching it, and found out you can mount it in the correct direction. You just have to shave one small part on the shock (doesnt affect performance at all, and you cant see it) I will give more details sometime tomorrow or Friday. Figured out what you're doing on the front yet?

ryanh250ex
02-07-2007, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by BlasterEaten250
sweet. just for your information before I said that you had to mount it upside down, well I went out and tried switching it, and found out you can mount it in the correct direction. You just have to shave one small part on the shock (doesnt affect performance at all, and you cant see it) I will give more details sometime tomorrow or Friday. Figured out what you're doing on the front yet?

Cool. If you want you can IM me on AIM at rh027. I gotta ask you some things anyways.

For the front, I'll be running American Star Pro Star Plus +2 a-arms. I will most likely be running a custom "long travel" suspension setup using custom upper shock mounts that will extend the eye to eye length a shock can be .I will probably run either works 300ex or 400ex shocks for this. I still have yet to sketch it out on paper, so I dont know how this would actually work. but +2s and works w/ rezzies of some kind are a definite.

sandmanblue
02-08-2007, 09:19 AM
You're going to use a blow through on a carb???

I'm very curious how you plan on dealing with the pressure inside the carb being above atmospheric pressure. Everything inside has to be pressurized as well... overflow hoses, fuel pressure... The pressure also has to be varied with the pressure the turbo builds. In other words, your intake pressures vary depending on boost or vacuum, so you have to compensate for that or else the fuel will not flow properly.

Blow through designs are easy with fuel injection, but with carbs, I've mostly seen draw through so you don't have to mess with pressure compensation.

Like I said - curious about how you will deal with these issues.

ryanh250ex
02-08-2007, 10:12 AM
You're going to use a blow through on a carb???

I'm very curious how you plan on dealing with the pressure inside the carb being above atmospheric pressure. Everything inside has to be pressurized as well... overflow hoses, fuel pressure... The pressure also has to be varied with the pressure the turbo builds. In other words, your intake pressures vary depending on boost or vacuum, so you have to compensate for that or else the fuel will not flow properly.

Blow through designs are easy with fuel injection, but with carbs, I've mostly seen draw through so you don't have to mess with pressure compensation.

Like I said - curious about how you will deal with these issues.

I will be running a "pitot tube" from the bowl to pressurize the carb. it feels the difference in pressure and sends air to the carb so that it can understand boost.

I've already bought a fuel pump and I'm going to be buying a rising rate fuel pressure regulator. Basically as i understand it for every one lb of boost it sees it will add 1 lb of fuel pressure.

ryanh250ex
02-08-2007, 05:22 PM
I WON THE TURBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

m.h.s.c.#527
02-08-2007, 05:25 PM
kool

hillclimbingrec
02-08-2007, 07:21 PM
dude, this sounds like it's going to be the BEST 250 ever to walk the earth, axis rear shocks, long travel front, works front, +2 asr's a-arms,... are you getting a plus 2 axle?

ii have a question, this may have been answerd allready, but with all this power, are you going to gain ANY speed? because from what i have heard, the ONLY way you can get a shaft driven quad to go faster on top end, is to add bigger tires on the rear, and i doubt you would run 30'' mudlites?

m.h.s.c.#527
02-08-2007, 07:41 PM
hell have to run a over rev limiter but i think this thing might run too hot ryhan you might wanna make some scoops

ryanh250ex
02-09-2007, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by hillclimbingrec
dude, this sounds like it's going to be the BEST 250 ever to walk the earth, axis rear shocks, long travel front, works front, +2 asr's a-arms,... are you getting a plus 2 axle?

ii have a question, this may have been answerd allready, but with all this power, are you going to gain ANY speed? because from what i have heard, the ONLY way you can get a shaft driven quad to go faster on top end, is to add bigger tires on the rear, and i doubt you would run 30'' mudlites?

I already have 22" razrs. I can assure they will be pretty inflated at all times :eek2:

I will also be running a +1000 rpm rev box. I expect it to go roughly 60 mph.

I have no plans on replacing the axle, unless (read: until) i bust yet another OEM axle. I'm on #3.

sandmanblue
02-09-2007, 01:31 PM
You're going to run a tube from your float bowl to the intake? Where? Before or after the carb? Also, what do you do when you have engine braking and negative pressure (vacuum) in the intake tract? It would suck unregulated fuel into your intake.

What about the vent tubes? If you pressurize the bowl, the air will just blow out of the vents....

ryanh250ex
02-09-2007, 02:07 PM
You're going to run a tube from your float bowl to the intake? Where? Before or after the carb? Also, what do you do when you have engine braking and negative pressure (vacuum) in the intake tract? It would suck unregulated fuel into your intake.

What about the vent tubes? If you pressurize the bowl, the air will just blow out of the vents....

it will tap into the intake piping BEFORE the carb.

the regulator will be boost referenced so it will regulate the fuel pressure as necessary.

the idea is to use the bowl vent as the tube itself.

Blow thru's aren't hard to tune if you attack it the correct way. The secret is the "pitot" tube for the bowl vents. Its a tube that points into the intake charge creating a ram-air effect, and slightly overpressurizes the float bowls vs what is seen in the venturi's. It makes jetting a breeze. And of course, you have to have a fuel pressure regulator and fuel pump, that increases fuel pressure as the boost increases.

hillclimbingrec
02-09-2007, 03:05 PM
lol.... Well no offence, but dont 250's stock run low 50's high 40's? with my recon and my big gun evo i run neck and neck (not bull****ting) with a 300ex with fmf megamax 2, and rear 20's but he can acelratre just a tad bit faster than me, and he has has his clocked at 58... so should you be doing like HIGH 60's? maybe even 70's? and how much power is this going to make? what will the power to weight ratio be?

ryanh250ex
02-09-2007, 04:22 PM
lol.... Well no offence, but dont 250's stock run low 50's high 40's? with my recon and my big gun evo i run neck and neck (not bull****ting) with a 300ex with fmf megamax 2, and rear 20's but he can acelratre just a tad bit faster than me, and he has has his clocked at 58... so should you be doing like HIGH 60's? maybe even 70's? and how much power is this going to make? what will the power to weight ratio be?

250ex's and Recons have the same gears 1st through 3rd. 4th and 5th are different. i.e. 250ex's gears are taller= more top speed

if the 300 has stock sprockets and 20's it should only be topping out at 52 or 53- they also come with 22's from the factory. I dont know how it was "clocked" but unless something was done to it that i dont know about, i'm betting that the clocking device was about 5 mph off. you probably were going about 48.

power levels will probably be in the ballpark of 25-30 hp. thats where i want it to be, i'm afraid i'm going to rip the trans to shreds. the bike itself should weigh ballpark 375 lbs.

m.h.s.c.#527
02-09-2007, 04:48 PM
my axle is bent give me a step by step on how to do it better yet make a thread of it

ryanh250ex
02-09-2007, 04:50 PM
my axle is bent give me a step by step on how to do it better yet make a thread of it

Search. try using it. :rolleyes:

next time if you need to request something, PM it to me.

hillclimbingrec
02-10-2007, 06:15 AM
250ex's and Recons have the same gears 1st through 3rd. 4th and 5th are different. i.e. 250ex's gears are taller= more top speed

if the 300 has stock sprockets and 20's it should only be topping out at 52 or 53- they also come with 22's from the factory. I dont know how it was "clocked" but unless something was done to it that i dont know about, i'm betting that the clocking device was about 5 mph off. you probably were going about 48.

power levels will probably be in the ballpark of 25-30 hp. thats where i want it to be, i'm afraid i'm going to rip the trans to shreds. the bike itself should weigh ballpark 375 lbs.
i think he has a 14 tooth front sproket, ad he said he was flooring it when i was neck and neck with him? so wouldnt that mean my recon runs round 52?
And ALso, i REALLY fdont mean to jack this thread, but would a rev box from a 250ex, work on a recon? would it change my 1-3 gears?(if it does , i dont want it then, cuz 1-3 are REALLY good trails gears IMO) and wouldi gain top end, bottom end....what! lol

ryanh250ex
02-10-2007, 06:39 AM
i think he has a 14 tooth front sproket, ad he said he was flooring it when i was neck and neck with him? so wouldnt that mean my recon runs round 52?
And ALso, i REALLY fdont mean to jack this thread, but would a rev box from a 250ex, work on a recon? would it change my 1-3 gears?(if it does , i dont want it then, cuz 1-3 are REALLY good trails gears IMO) and wouldi gain top end, bottom end....what! lol

I dont know offhand what 300's come with in terms of stock sprockets, so i cant say. I'd still say you run around 48.

They should work, your gearing would stay the same but the redline would be moved higher. they also claim to adjust the timing (i.e. advance it) for additional performance but how much I dont know. basically if you were to be gaining any performance, it would be top-end. I really think the only thing you'd feel is a higher redline.

hillclimbingrec
02-10-2007, 07:20 AM
lol.. then how come we are neck and neck then? if 300's run 52's and im running 48's?

Caseys 300ex
02-10-2007, 07:40 AM
Not trying to dis you at all but you have a utility 250maybe the 300ex rider isnt that good of a drag racer and you have just perfected it. But hey you just may have one awesome recon!

hillclimbingrec
02-10-2007, 07:43 AM
no, it really wasnt a drag, it ws just going down the road, floored

Caseys 300ex
02-10-2007, 11:19 PM
Oh ic and Ryan hows the 250 coming along?? Anything new.

Pipeless416
02-11-2007, 12:01 AM
I dont know offhand what 300's come with in terms of stock sprockets, so i cant say. I'd still say you run around 48.

They should work, your gearing would stay the same but the redline would be moved higher. they also claim to adjust the timing (i.e. advance it) for additional performance but how much I dont know. basically if you were to be gaining any performance, it would be top-end. I really think the only thing you'd feel is a higher redline.

it seems like the timing advance from an aftermarket rev box just makes the throttle response a little snappier.

ryanh250ex
02-11-2007, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Caseys 300ex
Oh ic and Ryan hows the 250 coming along?? Anything new.

Nothing really, just waiting till tomorrow to send out money for the turbo and BOV.

next will probably be the intercooler and fuel pressure regulator. also researching the oiling system, I may have to run some kind of oil pump on the lines to keep the turbo happy.

ryanh250ex
02-12-2007, 02:46 PM
Turbo/BOV money sent out

next: intercooler/ fuel pressure regulator

edit: Can someone with a 250ex manual look up how much amperage the alternator/stator puts out? I need to know.

blasterfreak99
02-15-2007, 09:19 AM
any updates??

ryanh250ex
02-15-2007, 11:41 AM
No updates right now, just waiting on my turbo and BOV to come in.

ryanh250ex
02-16-2007, 04:32 PM
OK so i've figured out that i have 10 amps of electricity to run fuel pump/regulator/oil pump...

Turbo and BOV should be here by tuesday or so i'm guessing.

SGARCIA89LX
02-17-2007, 09:27 PM
how about you put one of these on your ex http://videos.streetfire.net/video/2121aa46-58d2-43cf-8f85-98570153b3d6.htm

Honda5
02-18-2007, 05:05 AM
I did a crank replacement one time on a 250ex and I looked at the transmission and I don't think you have any thing to worry about. It looked to be as well built as all their quads.

ryanh250ex
02-18-2007, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Honda5
I did a crank replacement one time on a 250ex and I looked at the transmission and I don't think you have any thing to worry about. It looked to be as well built as all their quads.

Good to know, thanks for the heads up.

Just curious, why did you replace the crank? Was the OEM unit a pretty strong piece?

Project300EX
02-20-2007, 03:56 PM
Did the BOV come in yet?

ryanh250ex
02-21-2007, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Project300EX
Did the BOV come in yet?

It came in yesterday, thank you for your business!

ryanh250ex
02-22-2007, 05:16 PM
turbo is IN

SGARCIA89LX
02-23-2007, 10:10 PM
keep me posted on your project;)

ryanh250ex
03-04-2007, 06:48 PM
time to revive this thread.

pic of the turbo i bought in relation to my hand, and also further proof that i'm in this for real :-D

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p149b769a7756e33c001dc402a279f058/ea6f9c50.jpg

Trevor
03-06-2007, 08:37 AM
Looks like a fun project. Once you have all the stuff you could easly put it on another atv down the road.

ryanh250ex
03-07-2007, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Trevor
Looks like a fun project. Once you have all the stuff you could easly put it on another atv down the road.

It will be a fun project. :D

Fabrication will begin in 2 weeks.

ryanh250ex
03-07-2007, 04:19 PM
Might as well make a nice little update:

Still need to buy:
brake line to use as pitot tube
piping
oil lines
intercooler
fuel pressure regulator
Clutch

Projected finish date: Late May '07.

Figured out the oiling system, I will NOT be running an oil pump, and I will be running the oil return reither to the right side oil port on the motor or the oil fill on the motor.

The turbo will sit just ahead of the exhaust port. the intercooler will probably sit behind the oil cooler.

the downpipe will tie into the T-4 silencer.

I'm still trying to find someone who will make me a forged piston, I know someone who just bought a machine shop but they dont know when they'll be ready to start putting product out.

the biggest question at this point is tuning....I'm not sure if the stock carb is up to the task.

Rider-trx_250ex
03-07-2007, 08:22 PM

the biggest question at this point is tuning....I'm not sure if the stock carb is up to the task. [/B]

I'm pretty sure that you'll have to upgrade the carb

ryanh250ex
03-08-2007, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Rider-trx_250ex
I'm pretty sure that you'll have to upgrade the carb

Can you explain why? Do you have any experience with turbo/carb setups?

Most of the people that deal with ATVs in general tend to think what works for all-motor setups works for turbos as well. not the case.

I'm betting it could flow enough gas, but i dont know if it can handle the offboost transitions into boost without spiking lean.

JIMFROMTEXCO
03-08-2007, 01:15 PM
what about a carb off of like a cx500 or one of the other turbo cycles?.. i dont no much about turbo carb set ups.. fuel injection makes it easier..

ryanh250ex
03-08-2007, 04:09 PM
what about a carb off of like a cx500 or one of the other turbo cycles?.. i dont no much about turbo carb set ups.. fuel injection makes it easier..

There isn't much info available about the CX500T as a whole- it's a long forgotten bike that seemingly didn't sell well here in the states. Parts are rare, and becoming more and more scarce.

I am relatively sure the stock carb can handle situations like WOT boost, it's just the off to on boost transitions that I'm unsure of. Most carbs handle forced air just fine, but there are a handful that are just incapable of tuning to perfection.

The fella that i'm consulting with on this project is currently finishing up turbocharging his DRZ400 supermoto bike, he's turbo'd many bikes before and ran into the problem i described above. Switching to a carb with accelerator pump solved the problem. He went to a FCR.

ryanh250ex
03-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Confirmed my flight for next thursday- shipping the turbo and BOV this week to my welding friend

ryanh250ex
03-20-2007, 12:50 PM
Well, change of plans on a few different ends.

I'm going home tomorrow.
I sent my turbo/BOV to my friend Nick via USPS Priority yesterday.
Now it's just a matter of starting as soon as we get the stuff back in NJ.

The turbine side of the turbo is cast iron (which means it gets very hot), so i'm thinking about coating it with Black BBQ paint.

I found out that a fuel pressure regulator off of a Ford 2.3 turbo motor is 8 bucks from a parts store and can be modified to be manually adjustable, so i'm going to try to go that route. It can be adjustable to 0-60 psi.

The fun begins.......

Which 450?
03-20-2007, 03:58 PM
Hmm, I think I remember hearing its not good to coat them in anything but a ceramic coating, It will keep it from cooling properly. it will burn off right away anyway,

Trevor
03-21-2007, 11:57 AM
A 300ex carb may work for you if you need one with an accelerator pump.

ryanh250ex
03-21-2007, 06:03 PM
turbo and BOV came today, might be meeting up with my friend tonight :D

ryanh250ex
04-04-2007, 11:50 AM
Update

no progress made, my friend doing the welding for me had a death in the family.

I did buy a intercooler last night. 12 bucks. mint condition DSM intercooler

286.00 Turbo
18.00 BOV
12.00 IC
_______
316 spent so far :-D

To buy still:
oil lines
brake line
clutch
~5ft of pipng total
fuel pressure regulator
estimated remaining cost: 250

maxitout77
04-11-2007, 05:18 AM
What is that turbo off from again?

I may be able to provide some insight on the situation. I have a fairly indepth knowledge of turbos and there functions. Ive been through a couple on my WRX.

ryanh250ex
04-11-2007, 09:42 AM
the turbo is a BorgWarner/KKK KP31. It's off a Smart Car.

Which 450?
04-11-2007, 06:07 PM
kkk?

ryanh250ex
04-11-2007, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Which 450?
kkk?

No relation to the white supremacist group :D

They are now called 3K for the sake of being politically correct.

maxitout77
04-12-2007, 06:54 AM
I've encountered this ^ more than a few times myself, lol. It's primarily a European turbo used in VW's and Audi's.

I would love to see your plumbing setup. What diameter tubing are you going to go with?

ryanh250ex
04-12-2007, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by maxitout77
I've encountered this ^ more than a few times myself, lol. It's primarily a European turbo used in VW's and Audi's.

I would love to see your plumbing setup. What diameter tubing are you going to go with?

I'm going with the stock header (the Pro Circuit T-4 header i currently have is such a nice piece, I dont want to hack it up...lol) cut and welded to mate with the cast iron housing (the KP 31 has the exhaust manifold integrated into the hotside so it makes for a difficult install).

for now i'm planning for the intercooler to be in front of the oil cooler (if it fits), and the cold side piping will run on the other side of the motor.

If the IC doesn't fit I'll likely put it behind the carb. I have lots of room there since i dont currently run an airbox.

As far as tubing... I'll probably go with 1.5" or so. I plan on finishing the exhaust with the midpipe/silencer i have from my Pro Circuit exhaust.

maxitout77
04-13-2007, 05:14 AM
I take it you are going to put the turbo right off the exhaust port on the front of the motor? what kinda PSI will you be looking at?

ryanh250ex
04-13-2007, 10:21 AM
I take it you are going to put the turbo right off the exhaust port on the front of the motor? what kinda PSI will you be looking at?

Yep.

I'm probably going to start off with 8-10 lbs. I need to keep it low to keep the stock cast piston in one piece until i can afford a rebuild w/ either a re-faced 250ex forged piston or a custom one.

Once i rebuild it....I will probably up it to 14 lbs or so. I dont want to push it past that much, because I'm afraid the trans/clutch wont hold up to that kind of power.

maxitout77
04-13-2007, 11:05 AM
I would count on the motor popping before the trans goes.

ryanh250ex
04-13-2007, 03:06 PM
I would count on the motor popping before the trans goes.

I'm not too worried about it. When I'm rebuilding it it's going to get either a Vesrah rod or a custom billet one (I am friends with a machinst).

My biggest worries are valve springs and head bolts/studs.

maxitout77
04-16-2007, 12:44 PM
be sure to post some pics as soon as the plumbing is fabbed

ryanh250ex
04-18-2007, 02:53 PM
be sure to post some pics as soon as the plumbing is fabbed

Will do :D

maxitout77
05-02-2007, 06:40 AM
update required! lol

ryanh250ex
05-02-2007, 07:15 AM
Sadly, there is nothing to update. I have run out of money for the time being and I'm not flying back home to NJ until tomorrow afternoon.

TYayo420
06-04-2007, 02:58 PM
hey man good luck on this project! I have a 400ex i have been thinking about doing this for, what gauge are you using for boost? the $8 one what ios it called i need one still. We have 2 threads in the 400 forum, and a couple-a nice guys refered me to you cuz no one had vast knowledge of turbo's on a atv and said you do. if you have aim IM me so we can talk about this easily on there if you dont mind, my screen name is tyayo420, im very interested in doing this myself.

Which 450?
06-04-2007, 05:42 PM
I was just looking for this thread... any updates? been a month...

BlasterEaten250
06-05-2007, 02:39 PM
I believe he said he needed money really fast so he had to sell the 250, but kept all the turbo parts and plans on continuing the project eventually.

TYayo420
06-05-2007, 09:55 PM
damn that sucks, well i hope he sees this post soon, need some advice or a point in the right direction for my 400 haha he seemed very smart with turbo's on a quad

Which 450?
06-06-2007, 04:34 AM
i knew he wouldnt finish it.

Blue250X
06-06-2007, 08:25 AM
Probably in some trouble with the mob....one of those top secret gotta get money real fast deals...you know the kind:chinese:

TYayo420
06-06-2007, 08:44 AM

If he doesn't, I will.

Honda10
08-09-2007, 09:28 AM
bump

Hondamaster5505
08-31-2007, 05:08 PM
no offense, but putting a turbo on a 250ex, is like a big bore kit on a 50, it makes no sense...
If you want faster, go bigger.
A turbo 250ex will MAYBE have the power of a stock banshee at best...

Just invest in a banshee and turbo that,
HELL YEAH
:blah:

Rider-trx_250ex
08-31-2007, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
no offense, but putting a turbo on a 250ex, is like a big bore kit on a 50, it makes no sense...

HELL YEAH

but then you have the fastest 250ex around and have bragging rights like................."ya it's a turbo'd 250ex!"

Hondamaster5505
08-31-2007, 10:18 PM
true, true, i didnt think of it that way.

85ATC250R
09-08-2007, 02:07 PM
Thats like having a 13 second civic. Just because is fast doesn't mean its not retarded.

Rider-trx_250ex
09-08-2007, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by 85ATC250R
Thats like having a 13 second civic. Just because is fast doesn't mean its not retarded.

That statement you just made was retarded. You can't dis his work like that......if it's fast it's fast. If i saw a 13 second civic I'd give the guy madddd credit cause it takes a lot to get a civic to go fast......the same with a 250ex.;)

ryanh250ex
09-10-2007, 03:05 PM

Sounds like I live in your head, rent-free.

I still have the 250 (i was able to make enough money to keep it for the time being), I am not sure if I'm going to keep it or not. I ordered a clutch (which never came, oddly enough..have to resolve that with my dealer). From there, i'll figure out what I'm going to do with it.

Regardless I am keeping the turbo parts, if they do not end up on the 250, they will end up most likely on a 400ex at a point to be later determined.

m.h.s.c.#527
09-10-2007, 03:58 PM

HELL YEAH
no i severely doubt that

Hondamaster5505
09-10-2007, 05:07 PM
I know, maybe 25hp. lmao.
250ex's are like fuc.king lawn tractors..

Its a recon, basically, with sportier plastics.
they arent even worth modding up.
They're slow, and only good for a beginner quad.

But the 400ex turbo, that would be sweet.
Your looking at like 45-50hp.

Either that, or get a shee,
Get pipes
jetting
airfilter
shaved head
boost bottle
mild porting

and make 65-70hp, thats what i would do.
my dad has a banshee with all of that except porting, and ill tell you this, they are SICK.

If you get pissed at your buddy, throw a ****in 15ft roost at him

ryanh250ex
09-10-2007, 08:47 PM
I know, maybe 25hp. lmao.
250ex's are like fuc.king lawn tractors..

Its a recon, basically, with sportier plastics.
they arent even worth modding up.
They're slow, and only good for a beginner quad.

But the 400ex turbo, that would be sweet.
Your looking at like 45-50hp.

Either that, or get a shee,
Get pipes
jetting
airfilter
shaved head
boost bottle
mild porting

and make 65-70hp, thats what i would do.
my dad has a banshee with all of that except porting, and ill tell you this, they are SICK.

If you get pissed at your buddy, throw a ****in 15ft roost at him

If i was out to put down the biggest numbers ever, I wouldnt even bother to 250, or the 400, or the 450...i'd be doing a raptor 700, etc.

i've dumped plenty of money into the 250, and i'd lose my ***** on it if i actually went ahead and sold it. the point of doing this is more because it's whats available to me, and it saves me a bit of money.

I dont have much money to spend on my rides- its an expensive sport where I live and it's not a high priority, so I get by with what I can.

A friend of a friend had 2 blasters. both were BEAT like no other. cracked plastics, scratched and bent OEM wheels, etc etc, you get the idea. This fella was smart though. he had built to the hilt 240 kits on both of them big carb, head porting, the whole 9 yards. What we would do is putz through the local riding spots, play dumb and race people for cash. the people would say and think "oh, just a POS blaster" when it was actually a monster. More times than not, people never even saw it coming, and it got to the point where he made enough cash from drag racing it to turn a profit on his bike, after the motor work and all.

There will always be someone out there faster than you. I've accepted this, and want to take a different approach and learn/have fun in the process..... And maybe when I'm done, that 400 of yours wont hold a candle to a "slow" 250.

Hondamaster5505
09-11-2007, 01:53 PM
If i was out to put down the biggest numbers ever, I wouldnt even bother to 250, or the 400, or the 450...i'd be doing a raptor 700, etc.

i've dumped plenty of money into the 250, and i'd lose my ***** on it if i actually went ahead and sold it. the point of doing this is more because it's whats available to me, and it saves me a bit of money.

I dont have much money to spend on my rides- its an expensive sport where I live and it's not a high priority, so I get by with what I can.

A friend of a friend had 2 blasters. both were BEAT like no other. cracked plastics, scratched and bent OEM wheels, etc etc, you get the idea. This fella was smart though. he had built to the hilt 240 kits on both of them big carb, head porting, the whole 9 yards. What we would do is putz through the local riding spots, play dumb and race people for cash. the people would say and think "oh, just a POS blaster" when it was actually a monster. More times than not, people never even saw it coming, and it got to the point where he made enough cash from drag racing it to turn a profit on his bike, after the motor work and all.

There will always be someone out there faster than you. I've accepted this, and want to take a different approach and learn/have fun in the process..... And maybe when I'm done, that 400 of yours wont hold a candle to a "slow" 250.

LOL! Your funny.
250ex's arent ment to be hi-po bikes. Theres only so much you can do to them..
Even a turbo, alright, would make maybe 25hp. 400ex STOCK puts out 28hp. mines probably in the 30-32hp range. Dude, im not trying to put you down, but save the turbo shi.t and get some kind of 400, turbo it, exhaust, that kinda stuff.
Pull up to some 450's with a 45-50hp 400 and race them for cash, yet at the same time, have a decent handling, decent riding... sport quad. That 400 would shame most of ours. lmao.

And what i said about the banshee, that isnt the highest a banshee could go, thats just the cheapest mods for that kind of power. I've seen some 125hp+ banshees. I hope to inherit my dads one day, but hes lovin it way too much to give it up for a long time. even though hes 40.. lol.

07250ex
09-11-2007, 02:06 PM
LOL! Your funny.
Even a turbo, alright, would make maybe 25hp. 400ex STOCK puts out 28hp. mines probably in the 30-32hp range. Dude, im not trying to put you down, but save the turbo shi.t and get some kind of 400, turbo it, exhaust, that kinda stuff.
Pull up to some 450's with a 45-50hp 400 and race them for cash, yet at the same time, have a decent handling, decent riding... sport quad. That 400 would shame most of ours. lmao.

And what i said about the banshee, that isnt the highest a banshee could go, thats just the cheapest mods for that kind of power. I've seen some 125hp+ banshees. I hope to inherit my dads one day, but hes lovin it way too much to give it up for a long time. even though hes 40.. lol.

stock 400ex'ss are 26 hp z400's are 28 and a turbo on a 250 ex could probably get it pushing 30 if u had a decent inter cooler

ryanh250ex
09-11-2007, 03:07 PM
LOL! Your funny.

You might be laughing, but it's akin to being the retard in a crowd who laughs at a bad joke. By all means, go right ahead.

You clearly dont know much about air pressure, or turbocharging as a whole. My 250 dyno'd 16 hp at the crank in stock form (i have a paper to prove it, back in NJ), and realistically it would probably make 20 hp at the crank now. At 14.7 psi, you are doubling atmospheric pressure, which in theory (on paper it would be more like 16 psi due to friction, pressure drop, etc, you double the air that the given motor would make on its own vacuum. so in theory...it would be putting down 40 hp at the crank, which would equal 35-36 whp. Thats assuming of course assuming nothing breaks...which I'm a little nervous about.

You have to factor in shorter gearing and less weight as well. it's no secret that the 250 uses short gearing to get up to speed. using that short gearing combined with an extended rev limiter, it will run through the power curve quicker than a bike with taller gearing, yet not be as hindered by the rev limit. using 22" tires, 60+ mph would be feasible.

As far as suspension goes, thats easy to fix...not necessarily cheap, but easy enough.

I am well aware that a banshee can exceed triple digit HP numbers. I've already made it clear that I am NOT after peak HP numbers. I want a bike that pulls like no other, that is built like no other....

Hondamaster5505
09-12-2007, 03:48 PM
You might be laughing, but it's akin to being the retard in a crowd who laughs at a bad joke. By all means, go right ahead.

You clearly dont know much about air pressure, or turbocharging as a whole. My 250 dyno'd 16 hp at the crank in stock form (i have a paper to prove it, back in NJ), and realistically it would probably make 20 hp at the crank now. At 14.7 psi, you are doubling atmospheric pressure, which in theory (on paper it would be more like 16 psi due to friction, pressure drop, etc, you double the air that the given motor would make on its own vacuum. so in theory...it would be putting down 40 hp at the crank, which would equal 35-36 whp. Thats assuming of course assuming nothing breaks...which I'm a little nervous about.

You have to factor in shorter gearing and less weight as well. it's no secret that the 250 uses short gearing to get up to speed. using that short gearing combined with an extended rev limiter, it will run through the power curve quicker than a bike with taller gearing, yet not be as hindered by the rev limit. using 22" tires, 60+ mph would be feasible.

As far as suspension goes, thats easy to fix...not necessarily cheap, but easy enough.

I am well aware that a banshee can exceed triple digit HP numbers. I've already made it clear that I am NOT after peak HP numbers. I want a bike that pulls like no other, that is built like no other....

1. I was bein sarcastic when i said "LOL, Your funny"

2. Keywords, "at the crank" At the rear wheels, its puts 13. I think crank horsepower is bull**** because you arent puttin out the crank hp, its the wheels that make you move..

3. They arent designed to be turbo, and it will make it faster, but not enough to be worth it.. And i hope you know, theres more to it, you have to actually lower the compression for the turbo to work its best, and well, or else your wasting your time.
(dont say im retarded, my dads shop is next to a tuner car shop, and we learn all of this stuff, they are big into turbos.)

4. When i mentioned the banshee again, i wasnt telling you to get one, you had said your not out to make the highest hp, so i was telling you, you still wouldnt be the highest.

And, this is to the other guy,
stock 400ex'ss are 26 hp z400's are 28 and a turbo on a 250 ex could probably get it pushing 30 if u had a decent inter cooler
Actually, it depends on the dyno, all dynos read slightly different, and the ones i had seen are around 28, z's are around 30.
With my mods though, im puttin out somewhere between 30-32, and im getting a hot cams stage 2:D

ryanh250ex
09-12-2007, 06:37 PM
1. I was bein sarcastic when i said "LOL, Your funny"

2. Keywords, "at the crank" At the rear wheels, its puts 13. I think crank horsepower is bull**** because you arent puttin out the crank hp, its the wheels that make you move..

3. They arent designed to be turbo, and it will make it faster, but not enough to be worth it.. And i hope you know, theres more to it, you have to actually lower the compression for the turbo to work its best, and well, or else your wasting your time.
(dont say im retarded, my dads shop is next to a tuner car shop, and we learn all of this stuff, they are big into turbos.)

4. When i mentioned the banshee again, i wasnt telling you to get one, you had said your not out to make the highest hp, so i was telling you, you still wouldnt be the highest.

And, this is to the other guy,
Actually, it depends on the dyno, all dynos read slightly different, and the ones i had seen are around 28, z's are around 30.
With my mods though, im puttin out somewhere between 30-32, and im getting a hot cams stage 2:D

:rolleyes: You think I would actually spend money on a turbocharger and associated fuel system mods and not know the difference between crank and wheel hp? Get real, man- I wasn't born yesterday.

I am more than aware of the effects of a given compression, and timing and boost and how they all affect one another and how if one is not in check it will cause pinging. I'm not concerned with compression ratio, I will make up for it by running extremely high octane gas.If I was looking to run on pump gas, i'd be looking elsewhere for power.

07250ex
09-12-2007, 07:35 PM
uhhm yeah all dynos are different so are all quads but 30 hp on a stock z sounds a little extensive same as 28 on a stock 400ex

Hondamaster5505
09-13-2007, 03:45 PM
:rolleyes: You think I would actually spend money on a turbocharger and associated fuel system mods and not know the difference between crank and wheel hp? Get real, man- I wasn't born yesterday.

I am more than aware of the effects of a given compression, and timing and boost and how they all affect one another and how if one is not in check it will cause pinging. I'm not concerned with compression ratio, I will make up for it by running extremely high octane gas.If I was looking to run on pump gas, i'd be looking elsewhere for power.

:rolleyes: I never said you didnt know the difference.
But people try and make their hp sound higher by giving crank ratings..

And i was just making sure about all the turbo ****. Ya know, it would be a shame to do all that work and money and not do it right. lighten up man...

njk4o5
03-25-2009, 03:50 PM
this thing ever happen?

BlasterEaten250
03-25-2009, 07:11 PM
If I remember right he had to sell his 250 to help pay for college I think. I think I remember him saying he wants to continue it on a 400ex someday