PDA

View Full Version : Too Much?

quadman21
09-28-2002, 09:26 AM
Is it possible to hone a cylinder too many times? I've honed my 440 on three seperate occaisions and am curious of that's too much and might need a different piston.

433rd
09-28-2002, 10:28 AM
Sure Can! Each time you hone you make your bore a little bigger, opening up the piston/bore clearances. If you go too far, you'll have some real problems.

RiPPiNiTuP7
09-28-2002, 03:43 PM
I only hone mine once in between each bore...I would take it to a shop, and have them check all the clearances, etc....

timewass
09-29-2002, 07:11 PM
If your not honing for a long time and if your not removing much material then you may get by with a new larger set of rings that you will have to adjust the end gap on. I would still take it to a shop and have them check the specs on it.

quadbiker
09-29-2002, 09:46 PM
Checking your bore diameter takes a highly specialized tool. A dial bore gage. What you are looking for is taper top to bottom, roundness from side to side in comparison to front to back. A lot of shops do a cheezy job of boring, like not locating the cylinder correctly, then they bore it and get non-cleanup in certain areas, and to hide the crap job they just did, they hone it real quick to make it look all good. This is because they know almost no customer has a dial bore gage to check their work.

I wouldn't count on oversize rings to take up the slack when the piston-to bore clearance is excessive. The crown area of the piston will be steadied by the new rings, but the skirt will still slap back and forth.

quadman21
09-30-2002, 11:28 AM
well if I have went to far what's the worst that could happen? piston slap? what would it sound like? How could I fix it? because my dilema is that my 440 smokes when I ride it hard. I do alot of harescrambles and when I'm riding (or racing) it starts to smoke. But when I start it up after it's sat for awhile it doesn't. So i was thinking I had honed too much. Just enough to be too big. Then what's my options? it's already an 89mm sleeve. :confused:

timewass
09-30-2002, 11:30 AM
Piston slap will eventually cause wear on the skirt of the piston as well as on the cylinder walls. It also could break the piston skirt off and send shrapnal flying down into your bottom end. Get a new 440 sleeve.

quadman21
09-30-2002, 12:20 PM
I didn't think that was possible. would it be just as tight and last as long as the original sleeve? I never even thought about that.

timewass
09-30-2002, 12:22 PM
You have to resleeve to have a 440. They just press the old sleeve out and press a new one back in. Of course it's more complicated and detailed than that, but basically that's it.

quadman21
09-30-2002, 12:42 PM
I'm sorry, I meant that i didn't know you could get a new 440 sleeve put in. I have a 440 sleeve right now. But your saying that I could just replace it with another 440 sleeve?

timewass
09-30-2002, 12:44 PM
Sure can.

quadman21
09-30-2002, 01:37 PM
Sounds good. Thanks for the help!