PDA

View Full Version : 400ex problems

250xridamatt
02-04-2007, 11:05 AM
I have been having some starting problems lately. Yesterday morning it started fine, and I ran it for a while. I went to go to this school in the afternoon, and I couldnt get it to start. I tried to jump it, but it just sounded like the starter was spinning. Like it didnt have enough power to get it to start even with the charger connected. It finally started after a long time of trying. I want to do my first race in a week, and really dont want to have to worry about this. New Battery? Problem with the starter? any ideas?

Kaleigh
02-04-2007, 12:23 PM
probably a new battery.. how old is yours and how many times have you had to charge it..

could also be a bad plug..

250xridamatt
02-04-2007, 02:07 PM
I think I might know what my problem is. I changed the oil two weeks ago and the dealership only had 20w-50 out. Im going to change it again and put some 10w-40 in and see if the lighter oil has any effect on it. It seems to start fine when it is warm.

Honda#4
02-04-2007, 06:37 PM
Try a new battery, oil should'nt matter it should still turn over. And remember not to hold the starter for more than 5 seconds otherwise your gonna ruin your starter.

redline400ex
02-13-2007, 08:17 AM
After time sitting or if it's really cold out it will take a while for your 400ex to start. I usually put a 1 or 2 amp charge on my battery every once in a while. that will help, once it's started put your choke on half way and let it ideal...
Your starter sticking is usually a problem with your button sticking or a connection or it's just a little cold and sticking....
hope that helps...
a friend of mine had his starter sticking and just realized he wasn't getting a good connection on one of his wires...lol

250xridamatt
02-13-2007, 09:56 AM
I ended up getting a new battery and that fixed my problems.

joshyz125
02-14-2007, 01:51 AM
man i'm a pretty big fan of those battery tenders, helps keep a battery from going down when your not riding the machine and helps keep the battery from going bad