PDA

View Full Version : Banshee Runs

machwon
02-04-2007, 06:00 AM
Here's a couple Banshee runs I did yesterday. Its a 358 cc (.040 over) with wiseco's, stock cut head for race gas, RB Racing full port on stock cylinder, case ported, V-Force 3 reeds, In-frame pipes, 34mm PJ carbs, 55 pilots, CGM middle, 155 mains, Lock-up clutch.

blasterfreak99
02-04-2007, 07:34 AM
wow:eek2:

headache
02-05-2007, 08:58 PM
now thats some real power!! lets see a 358cc four stroke make that kind of power!

Mobile Dyno
02-06-2007, 04:01 AM
:devil:

machwon
02-07-2007, 08:00 PM
With the torque curve.

02-20-2007, 02:24 PM
good to see a banshee dyno on here...sick of all the 477, 450 and 550rs....shows what a simple 2 stroke motor design can do....my banshee was basically the same mods with the exception of a few different things like the needle was different, and i had v force and your have v force 3s....but nice to know mine was somewhere in the 70s

250r4life
02-20-2007, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Honda86
good to see a banshee dyno on here...sick of all the 477, 450 and 550rs....shows what a simple 2 stroke motor design can do....my banshee was basically the same mods with the exception of a few different things like the needle was different, and i had v force and your have v force 3s....but nice to know mine was somewhere in the 70s

there are too many variables to know that yours was in the 70s... tons is in the port, and who knows if yours was ported the same or as good as his was... we dont know either of your compression... he didnt say what pipes he was running...

im not saying yours couldnt have been, just that it is anything but reliable to base your HP off of his...

02-21-2007, 04:15 PM
yeah i know, but mine was in the low 70s...even the guy that did my port work said hes done dynos on shees just like my set up and it was always low 70s..

XANDADA
02-24-2007, 09:14 AM
358 with just the stuff you listed? holy eff :eek:

ryanh250ex
02-24-2007, 12:10 PM
A buddy of mine way back when had a budget drag banshee. 080 over, etc etc.. he still managed to put down 70 HP on untouched ports.

10 hp in porting seems kinda low for a 2 stroke. but what do i know...

03-01-2007, 09:28 AM
funny to see these 4 stroke guys be amazed...tons of banshees are in the 60s 70s, 80s and 90 hp range while most thumpers dont leave the 50s

ghott
03-01-2007, 10:05 AM
funny to see these 4 stroke guys be amazed...tons of banshees are in the 60s 70s, 80s and 90 hp range while most thumpers dont leave the 50s

Bet they would be a blast on the MX track ;)

Different strokes for different folks.

jeepin21
03-21-2007, 09:26 PM
those are good #s but also remember its a twin cylinder, dont bash on the 4 stroke guys we are all just single cylinder . if you could find a 350cc twin 4 stroke you could modify it to get 80 hp and it would rev to 12000 rpm

03-22-2007, 07:39 PM
you might be able to get a 350 twin 4 stroke into the 80s...maybe and if you could, it would take alot more work then a 2 stroke, and of course the 4 stroke would be no where near as relieable....banshees are king of drags and the dunes 20 years and running strong

jeepin21
03-22-2007, 10:10 PM
thats right i forgot 4 strokes are the ones that smoke and need to be rebuild all the time and its the 2 strokes that just last forever ........................NOT

03-23-2007, 09:49 AM
2 strokes as a whole last longer then 450s....the more it smokes, the better it is..if you got oil drippin out the exhaust pipe, the better it is on the crank and bearings

blasterfreak99
03-27-2007, 01:17 PM
2 strokes as a whole last longer then 450s....the more it smokes, the better it is..if you got oil drippin out the exhaust pipe, the better it is on the crank and bearings

...yea seriously and lets see you do a top end on a 4 poke in less than an hour. if you maintain the 2 stroke right then you will only have to replace rings every winter and piston every other winter. thats only 120 bucks at most (unless its a banshee) and only about 2 hours of work time. when you rebuild a 4 poke every other year, or every year if you race, it would be about 2 1/2 - 3 hours on ONE rebuild plus the parts(i'm not sure on the prices). try and compare that.

04-05-2007, 03:16 PM
exactly how many 350Xs do you see still going around?? nothing liek the 250rs....2 strokes DO last longer

Boweman
06-20-2007, 09:57 AM
hmmm, thats great your banshees are hitting 80hp on the dyno, but on the ground, probly about only 45-50hp is being used because of how much banshees spin. whereas on a 450 with 65 horesepower is probly using more like 50-55 of that hp because they spin so much less.

my dads bike(some of the mods in my sig plus more now) is a 390ex(started out as a 300) is making about 31hp and when his tires where fresh he smoked a banshee with pipes reeds filter ported because the banshee just sat there and spun while my dads bike hooked up and took off.

LT250_JOE
06-21-2007, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Boweman
hmmm, thats great your banshees are hitting 80hp on the dyno, but on the ground, probly about only 45-50hp is being used because of how much banshees spin. whereas on a 450 with 65 horesepower is probly using more like 50-55 of that hp because they spin so much less.

my dads bike(some of the mods in my sig plus more now) is a 390ex(started out as a 300) is making about 31hp and when his tires where fresh he smoked a banshee with pipes reeds filter ported because the banshee just sat there and spun while my dads bike hooked up and took off.

IF YOUR SPINNIN YOU AINT WINNIN!!!

SOUNDS LIKE RIDER ERROR AND CRAP TIRE/SUSPENSION SETUP. THE AVERAGE SHEE OWNER DUMPS 90% OF THEIR COIN ON HP AND NEGLECTS THE TIRE/SUSPENSION FOR HOOKING UP.
YOU FIND THE ONES THAT DO IT RIGHT AND YOUR EATING DIRT AND BREATHING THAT SWEET 2-STROKE SMOKE!:scary:

witech
07-15-2007, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by machwon
With the torque curve.
Could you post the dyno run file please for comparison?
Thanks

machwon
07-15-2007, 09:44 PM
Witech, do you have the winpep software? These runs came off our computer in our shop, which is not connected to the internet. Send me a disc and I'll shoot you a copy of the run if you like. PM me or e-mail me at rbracing11@msn.com for more info. Thanks, Bob.

SLEEPER B
08-07-2007, 07:18 PM
That's a strong one for sure. Sounds like it's a good running stock cylinder bike. Put it on alky and get you a couple more out of it.

NeedsaYfz
08-12-2007, 01:30 PM

That's some pretty messed up logic dont ya think. An 80 horsepower engine is going to be making 80 horses no matter what. However its up to you to figure out how to set up the bike to get all that power to the ground. But to say that a banshee will lose to a 450 everytime due to wheel spin is pretty rediculous.

Edit: I just realized that you said that your dads modded 300ex beat a ported and piped shee with probably more than twice the horsepower. The only way for that to be possible is if A) the guy on the shee didnt know how to ride, B) the banshee was set up horrible and had bald tires, and C) the race was under 300ft.

Hondamaster5505
08-17-2007, 05:01 PM

Thats really funny, because i have a banshee putting out about 55hp. My friend has a 450, pushing out the same hp, 55.
We are EQUAL riders, same level.
When i raced him, my tires were spinnin like crazy and his weren't spinning much at all, and i STILL was pulling away from him. We were both pushing our quads, and face it, modern 4-strokes are pretty quick, i give them credit. But late 80's technology 2-strokes can STILL kick there ***.

Hondamaster5505
08-17-2007, 05:03 PM
and the reason the banshee isnt in my pro, i made a mistake, the banshee is my dads. But i ride it as much as he does. Its a 99

Hondamaster5505
08-17-2007, 05:04 PM
see:

genoapb
09-30-2010, 04:44 PM
What pipes were the inframes and have you by any chance dynoed this setup on alky? Do you have any dyno runs of a setup like this but with a 4mil and on alky?

machwon
09-30-2010, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by genoapb
What pipes were the inframes and have you by any chance dynoed this setup on alky? Do you have any dyno runs of a setup like this but with a 4mil and on alky?

Here's the same motor on alky. I couldn't find any 4mm runs of a motor I did, just others which were pretty tame builds. I'm sure they would put down high eighties maybe 90. A customer just picked up his drag port 4mm banshee motor today, perhaps I'll have some good 4mm runs soon.

jcs003
11-14-2010, 12:28 PM
nice torque numbers machone.

2muchquad
12-06-2010, 11:23 PM
As a old school vet i have ridden lots of fast bikes and quads over the yrs but riding a built banshee is a experience in itself.Its possible to get 90hp out of stock banshee cylinders with a 4mm crank,what other machine makes this kind of hp readily accessible for little cost?Mine sits close to 65hp or so and its just ridiculous...i couldnt imagine a built cub set up:D

genoapb
03-27-2012, 01:49 AM
Im surprised at the alky results, hardly gained anything! I was expecting it to jump closer to 90hp. Did you spend as much time tuning the alky setup as the gas or just simply switched fuels? Wish I could remember to check back here more often but since I got married ive been kinda out of the game. At any rate my rb port seems closer to 90hp on alky but im running 38mm carbs and rdz out of frames and a dyna ignition with standard 17cc domes and as you know ive been 4.2s on michigan tracks. Ive just added a 4mil and recut the domes and port matched the cases. Hopefully I will see a little more out of it this year! Wish I had the time to come dyno tune our motors with you.

machwon
03-27-2012, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by genoapb
Im surprised at the alky results, hardly gained anything! I was expecting it to jump closer to 90hp. Did you spend as much time tuning the alky setup as the gas or just simply switched fuels? Wish I could remember to check back here more often but since I got married ive been kinda out of the game. At any rate my rb port seems closer to 90hp on alky but im running 38mm carbs and rdz out of frames and a dyna ignition with standard 17cc domes and as you know ive been 4.2s on michigan tracks. Ive just added a 4mil and recut the domes and port matched the cases. Hopefully I will see a little more out of it this year! Wish I had the time to come dyno tune our motors with you.

Hello Alex. Yes, not much gained there but not much changed either. The domes design was the same and nothing else was changed. The motor would definitely benefit from some larger carbs as well. Of course this is a 5 year old motor design now, I definitely do some things different today.

I hear you on the married, I added kids and hardly get out to ride. I still do the same amount of motor work and with kids I have now gotten into the mini quads. I really enjoy making those little mini's go. My daughter has been bugging me to enter her in a drag race this year. So if there is a race with lots of mini's let me know.

You definitely put down some excellent times with your stock stroke banshee motor. The 4 mill will add alot more torque and likely another 10 hp. Keep me posted on how it goes.