PDA

View Full Version : hot cam install

hoser 400ex
02-03-2007, 09:41 PM
si i installed a hotcam stage 2 in my bros 450r. got all the torque specs and stuff from a friend. but had 1 problem. I see now that the manual says to zip tie the sprocket to the chain. well i didnt do that. i took the sprocket off. so my question is this: as long as i have the cam lobes facing the rear of the quad, and the timing mark at TDC. as well as the cam marks lined up with the casting, will i be good to go?? i think it should be but want some other input.

mymastifftucker
02-04-2007, 07:07 AM
As long as both of your timing marks (crank and cam) are correctly lined up, and the cam lobes are facing the rear, you should be fine. I changed cams on my 400ex a couple of times and never zip tied it. I think the zip tie is more or less to make sure the chain doesnt fall down into the case. As long as its tied to the cam sprocket it cant fall.

hoser 400ex
02-04-2007, 09:10 AM
thanks for the reply. thats kind of what i was thinking as well. ziptie the chain to sprocket so it doesnt fall. thanks!!!

02-04-2007, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by mymastifftucker
As long as both of your timing marks (crank and cam) are correctly lined up, and the cam lobes are facing the rear, you should be fine. I changed cams on my 400ex a couple of times and never zip tied it. I think the zip tie is more or less to make sure the chain doesnt fall down into the case. As long as its tied to the cam sprocket it cant fall.

You zip tie the cam chain to the sprocket to ensure your timing does not get off, not from keeping the chain from falling. Once you remove the cam chain from the sprocket, you are then having to rely on your ability to align all the timing marks. On the Honda, that is easier said than done. I've seen more than one occasion when you would bet your bottom dollar the timing marks are dead on, only to find out it's off one tooth.

hoser 400ex
02-04-2007, 10:43 AM
i have the 2 marks on the sprocket lined up with the marks on the cam holder. and the mark on the crank is at TDC exactly. the cams are facing the rear. hope im good to go??

hoser 400ex
02-04-2007, 10:44 AM
i have the 2 marks on the sprocket lined up with the marks on the cam holder. and the mark on the crank is at TDC exactly. the cams are facing the rear. hope im good to go??