PDA

View Full Version : 450r carb/choke problems

440challenger
02-03-2007, 08:46 PM
Hello. I have a 04 trx 450r kick start version. The quad runs great with the choke on as if you were warming it up. Once you take the choke off,even when warm the quad will die right out as if you turned the ignition off. Does anyoen have any ideas what could be going on? My hot start wire is disconected from the lever,but i doubt that has anything to do with this issue would it?
Thanks in advance!

pro-rider46
02-03-2007, 10:13 PM
is your idol set correctly because sometimes they like to vibrate around and change your idle alot

ricks450
02-03-2007, 10:33 PM
check to see if it stops firing. if so check your pusle generator. make sure its clean of metal shavings. if its not that its going to be your carb. its got some trash in it some where. take it off and tear it down and clean with carb cleaner and blow out with compressed air (blow gun). with the choke on its slowing down the air charge and pulling more of a vacume on fuel curcuit. and with the choke on it runs at lower rpm so the generator might be sending a ok pulse untill you turn the choke off and revs up a little and starts sending a weck pulse or not sending a pulse at all. if you have the option of hooking the hotstart back up i would. but thats not why your bike is cutting off. unless it lecking air where the cable goes in the carb. check to see if you have any air lecks to around where the carb mounts to the motor (the manifold). hope this helps :)

440challenger
02-04-2007, 08:14 AM
Thank you! Where exactly is the pusle generator located?
The quad sat a while outside so it very well could be the carb but i'd like to check out everything mentioned.

ricks450
02-04-2007, 01:22 PM
i would do the carb first. thats more then likely your problem. so go for that first. the pulse generator is located under the left side case cover. the side with stator (alternator). so go with carb first. :)

02-05-2007, 07:57 AM
If it has been sitting it is the carb. Your jets are all clogged up. That is why it will run with the choke on, because you are cutting off the air supply. With the choke off it is too lean and won't run.

440challenger
02-06-2007, 07:27 AM
The jets/bowl etc were SUPER clean.
I cleaned the carb out any way while it was apart.

The spark plug looked horrible. black and sooty, and the gap was pretty large. I put a new plug in and im yet to fire it up. Maybe this will solve the problem,maybe it won't only time will tell!

440challenger
02-06-2007, 12:03 PM
Well, the plug didnt help any,check the pick up on the staor and it was free of metal. Any ideas guys? Maybe something to due with the electrical coming off the carb? is one a TPS? whats the other? this is killing me, i want to ride :(