PDA

View Full Version : stunt junkies misinformation?

SRH
02-03-2007, 04:24 PM
i was just watching the top 10, one of the stunts was a free falling plane and man transfer, they claimed the plane fell faster because it was heavier which if i recal isnt true, has to do with wind resistance and other factors but they claimed it had to do with weight which i thought cant possibly be true because gravity pulls on all things equally

youd think with all there fancy physics stuff they talk about on that show theyd at least check the facts and use correct dialogue

unless of course im wrong

CRich[814]
02-03-2007, 04:26 PM
i hate that show. besides the guetter episode and the bmx upside down grind, theyre all kind of gay and involve basejumping. the annoncers guys are annoying too.

blasterfreak99
02-03-2007, 04:26 PM
yeah i am pretty sure that it has to do with mass not wieght. i could be wrong though

coolex
02-03-2007, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by SRH
i was just watching the top 10, one of the stunts was a free falling plane and man transfer, they claimed the plane fell faster because it was heavier which if i recal isnt true, has to do with wind resistance and other factors but they claimed it had to do with weight which i thought cant possibly be true because gravity pulls on all things equally

youd think with all there fancy physics stuff they talk about on that show theyd at least check the facts and use correct dialogue

unless of course im wrong

yea if u listened i 3rd grade they do say that if 2 balls were the same size and were both dropped at the same hieght even if one was empty and one was lead they hit at the same time, but every hting fallas at different speeds i forget wat its called but things can only fall so fast and others are faster than some so i think ur wrong and it could have to do with wieght

but i could be wrong lol

SRH
02-03-2007, 04:32 PM
that makes absoultely no sense, if they fall the same speed, empty and full , same size and shape it should mean weight has nothing to do with it, i beleive in school they said it had nothing to do with density, weight which i beleive aka mass i was just wondering if i was correct or they were

Which 450?
02-03-2007, 04:40 PM
the acceleration of gravity is -9.8 meters a second, until you reach terminal velocity. Terminal velocity is calculated figuring wind resistance and taking into consideration the shape of the object. I remember hearing somewhere that there is an approximate terminal velocity of a person to fall and it only varies by a few mph.

SRH
02-03-2007, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Which 450?
the acceleration of gravity is -9.8 meters a second, until you reach terminal velocity. Terminal velocity is calculated figuring wind resistance and taking into consideration the shape of the object. I remember hearing somewhere that there is an approximate terminal velocity of a person to fall and it only varies by a few mph.

so pretty much they were way wrong by saying the plane fell faster because it was heavier correct?

Ace Sixx
02-03-2007, 05:00 PM
Not entirely. Just sounds like they didn't take the time to explain it properly.

SRH
02-03-2007, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Ace Sixx
Not entirely. Just sounds like they didn't take the time to explain it properly.

well explain it to me, im lost

czrider263
02-03-2007, 05:35 PM
yeah it falls faster because of less wind resistance its a plane its suposed to go through air effecently.

coolex
02-03-2007, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Which 450?

thats the word i was looking for teminal velocity, heavier thing have a higher terminal velocity, for example these numbers arent right just examples if u drop a dog and a bigger human out of a plane at the same time the dog can only fall about 100mph but the human will fall at 180 mph, they would both fall the same speed untill the dog hit 100mph and it would top out (terminal velocity) then the human would keep fallign faster until he hit his terminal velocity of 180 mph (then hes toped out also)

Unverfehrt400ex
02-03-2007, 05:40 PM
Just wandering. If wind resistance really is the bigger factor and weight doesnt matter. How come when snowskiing the heavier skiier goes down much faster than the smaller skiier?? just wandering

SRH
02-03-2007, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Unverfehrt400ex
Just wandering. If wind resistance really is the bigger factor and weight doesnt matter. How come when snowskiing the heavier skiier goes down much faster than the smaller skiier?? just wandering

because of more momentum, bumps and friction dont slow alot of moving mass like a little moving mass

czrider263
that has to do with the fact a larger person has more kenetic force(more wieght going the same speed has more energy meaning further distance).

Terminal volocity is when the wieght from gravity is = to wind resistance so less wind resistance = higher terminal volocity......

if there was no air everything would fall the same speed. so both wieght and air resistance are factors in terminal volocity

this is why a peice of paper with a light wieght and has large air resistance falls slower than a bolling bawl

coolex
Originally posted by Unverfehrt400ex

im saying weight is the big facter not wind resistence

Ace Sixx
I will preface this by saying that I didn't see the show to which you refer.

Now, I will say that the plane MAY have fallen faster because it is heavier, but it's weight wasn't the only reason. Its aerodynamics (ie, less drag) probably (I say probably because I'm assuming it was falling nose first) played a major role as well.

Their statement can probably be catagorized as a half-truth.

czrider263
02-03-2007, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Ace Sixx
I will preface this by saying that I didn't see the show to which you refer.

Now, I will say that the plane MAY have fallen faster because it is heavier, but it's weight wasn't the only reason. Its aerodynamics (ie, less drag) probably played a major role as well.

Their statement can probably be catagorized as a half-truth.

Yes wieght is only half of the equation

Velocity= the square root of 2 times the weight divided by )drag coefficient times gas density times frontal area)

416exfreak
02-03-2007, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by coolex
yea if u listened i 3rd grade they do say that if 2 balls were the same size and were both dropped at the same hieght even if one was empty and one was lead they hit at the same time, but every hting fallas at different speeds i forget wat its called but things can only fall so fast and others are faster than some so i think ur wrong and it could have to do with wieght

but i could be wrong lol

The one filled with lead would reach Terminal Velocity faster, which means it can no longer gain speed. They would not hit at the same time though. What would hit at the same time is a pound of lead and a pound of lead. It would need to be the same mass and same weight because of wind resistance fatcors and such.:cool:

czrider263
02-03-2007, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
The one filled with lead would reach Terminal Velocity faster, which means it can no longer gain speed. They would not hit at the same time though. What would hit at the same time is a pound of lead and a pound of lead. It would need to be the same mass and same weight because of wind resistance fatcors and such.:cool:

everything is accelerated at the same speed heading tward earth i believe its 9.8meter a sec per sec.

CannondaleRider
02-03-2007, 08:59 PM
Everything falls/accelerates at the same rate. Put a lead ball, and a hollow ball in a vacuum, and they will fall at the same rate.

Input the factor of wind resistance, and thats when velocity/acceleration will change.

Anyone remember the video of an astronaut dropping a hammer and a feather on the moon, both landed at the exact same time.........No wind resistance.;)