PDA

View Full Version : AWD issue

TravEX
02-03-2007, 09:47 AM
My 04 500 ATP has been doing wierd things with the AWD. When mudding a couple monthes ago, I noticed the front end (drive) would kick in when I was trying to spin the rear tires. I put the selector in "2WD" and "AWD", same results. I checked the computer diagnostics and it shows the switch to be working correctly, it shows "AWD" "Off" when the switch is off and "ON" when it's on. The "turf" mode is working correctly.

Today I played with it more, it the snow, so it's easier to see which tires are spinning. With the AWD switch in "AWD" or "2WD" it acts the same. After the rear tires spin a turn or 2 the front end kicks in and starts spinning too.

I have cleaned the sensors on the front hubs, and everything on the quad is pretty clean. I talked to the dealership mech, and he had seen this happen to abused quads, that always have mud caked on them, and none of the fluids ever changed. This is not the case for mine. All fluids are changed regularly and kept as clean as I can. I also just replaced the drive belt and CV boots.

Thanks,

Travis

Mav_KFX400
02-03-2007, 09:10 PM
the guy at my dealership said once the back tires make one or two rotation's the front tires will start to spin too on the newer polaris's at least.
My 02 sportsman 700 doesn't have that tho cuz i can wip doughnuts all day long

TravEX
02-04-2007, 05:57 AM
Hmm, thanks. I used to be able to whip donuts, hehe.

Mine just started doing it recently within the past year, because I can remember 2 occasions where I got stuck in mud in 2WD and had to switch to AWD to get out. No assist from the front till the switch was in AWD.

trx250ryder
05-21-2007, 11:52 AM
the dealership i work at we have seen that deal before its not a big thing it being an 04 model youi might check the warrinty it could be a elecrtical problem from the water when you mud.

TravEX
05-21-2007, 04:21 PM
I fixed it a couple monthes ago and forgot to update this thread.

When I had changed the gear oil before I used 75w90 gear oil, thinking that it didn't matter. Well, it does, hehe.
Bought the Polaris brand gear lube and it fixed the problem. I bet the Polaris stuff is just high priced ATF, cause that's sure what it looked like.

Thanks,

Travis

rosen32
06-01-2007, 06:56 PM
yeah my 800 did the same thing i had to have the front diff replaced. the guy at the dealer said that the way the four wheel drive si set up if you spin the back tires to much the centrifical force of the shaft in the gear case spinning engages the front end. he also said there is no remedy for it yet other than a new diff. hope that answers your question. it is covered under warranty if you still have one.

TravEX
06-01-2007, 09:22 PM
Again, I fixed the problem. The problem was, I used the wrong diff oil, too thick. I switched back to the Polaris brand diff oil, and problem solved. I'm sure not gonna replace a diff when it can be fixed by using the right oil.

How long had you had your 800 before you had problems? Had you ever changed the diff fluid?