PDA

View Full Version : stroke vs bore qestions?

400flava
02-03-2007, 09:13 AM
alright i have priced out a engine build for boaring my 400ex to a 416ex
the parts included
- 11:1 wiseco high compressiom piston
- new head gasket
-new vavlue springs
-boar
-rebuild

this comes out to around 600cdn because i am not to sure how to rebuild the head. i think i could do it just timming would be an issue and if i get the shop to do it it will have a mnuch faster turn over time!

the qustion here is how much would it be to stroke it to a 460 Stock compresion and cam?
who makes the kit?
What are the cons and pros of storking vs boaring?

thanks for your help

underpowered
02-03-2007, 09:29 AM
well a 460 stroker is a 440 (89mm) bore stroked 4mm to a 460. stroking usually give your more low end than just boring. but with a stock cam it would not be worth it IMO, but the Hot rods kit does have a low comp 10:1 CP piston so it would be close to stock compression. the kit aint cheap, and neither is the labor, looking at at least $1500 american to do it. plus in order to really get teh most out of it you would need a good full exhaust, a carb, Ported head and a nice cam to get the benefit of the kit. i think the 416 you have planned will be fine. you will get a nice gain adn it will be much cheaper.

400flava
02-03-2007, 10:10 AM
thanks for the information i figure i will do the 416 soon and probally add in a stage 2 hot cam. i already have a full pipe and a K&N filter.

Is porting and polishing needed for the boaring or will minimal gains be made by this i could prolly pick up a carb for about the same price of a good porting and poishing job what would be a better investment?

underpowered
02-03-2007, 11:43 AM
a good prot job will always make a big difference, as will a carb. a good port job will run about $200+ dollars. the guy that did mine, DR. G, spend 5 hours on it, total of $250 in work for it. it is amazing the difference it made. and i just put on an FCR carb today and it made a huge difference as well. you should be able to pick up a 450R carb fairly cheap, or find an FCR but they will cost more. both are worth it, and cost about the same if you go with a 450r carb.

400flava
02-03-2007, 12:03 PM
What will i need with the carb a new boat or will the 400 one work or will the stock one need modifieng some how?

so it is a toss up between carb and porting really i priced porting here is is 350 CDN.

underpowered
02-03-2007, 12:36 PM
you can use the stock carb. i just switched from a stock carb on my bike. i ran a stock carb on my 426 for over 3 years now, but i got an unbelievable improvement with the FCR. all you will have to do is re-jet your stock carb and you will be fine.

400flava
02-03-2007, 02:51 PM
yea i have my stock carb rejeted to my pipe and filter now but would not mind some better throtel response. Would this be better achived by porting or an aftermarket carb such as a FRC or what about the stock carb of a 450r? i believe these are different if not my mistake but i thaught the stock carbs were kehlins or something like that. And the FCR was a factory upgrade form honda?

underpowered
02-04-2007, 02:25 PM
a different carb will give you better response. a stock 450r carb is a great upgrade, but in 06 honda started puttin FCR's stock on 450r'S A carb from an 04 or 05 450r is fairly cheap upgrade, a new carb can be had for under $200. an FCR is a better carb but much more costly. is it worth it, IDK but i went with an FCR jsut because of the deal i got on it.

KB Motorsports
02-04-2007, 02:47 PM
It would be cheaper to go with the 416 kit. I'm not sure if you would be happier with the 460cc or not I never rode one. I have ridden several 440's and most of the 416's felt stronger than the 440's.. So its really hard for me to say(because you would think the 440's would be stronger)... However, the HotRod setup is 550.00 shipped(Crank, Rod, Piston, Rings) It should take around 5hours to build...

I would call up DASA or Rossier engineering for head porting!! If your going to spend money having your head ported might as well go with the best!

400flava
02-04-2007, 03:46 PM
Thanks for all the help i will look into the carbs probally more so then the porting since it is easier sort to speak. thanks for the quick and knowledgeable responses

northwest Texas
02-05-2007, 11:14 AM
I would port and polish before I'd buy a different carb but maybe I'm wrong.

400flava
02-05-2007, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by northwest Texas
I would port and polish before I'd buy a different carb but maybe I'm wrong.

yea i guesse it makes sence to port and polish while the head is apart since it is costing me 350 for the head to come apart but i can do the build earlier if i just do the piston boar and cam... and then buy a carb a few months after that... would it be worth holding off for a month or so to port rather then carb or will it be a noticable difference.

northwest Texas
02-06-2007, 08:54 AM
I can't really answer that question for you. I made so many changes at once I can't tell you so it's your call.

I do have a 450R carb to install later but I wanted to see for myself the difference between the stock and 450 carb so it's still sitting. I have my doubts but I will see....sometime.

I think there's a common misconception that a bigger carb is going to create more power and that's not always the case. I'm no expert in carb's but I've studied up a little and it kinda depends on the type of riding where a bigger carb may not suit your type of riding.

Maybe I am wrong, but I would think you'd get more bang for your buck by P&P than adding a carb.

400flava
02-06-2007, 01:01 PM
hmm well i ride a good mixture off terain i ride alot of fast trails and slow trails and a decent amount at mx tracks