PDA

View Full Version : battery...

Ruby Soho
02-02-2007, 06:55 PM
ok, so im going to start from the beginning.

so about a week ago, i was at my friends house, and my battery died after riding, we took a break, and when i went to start it up it did it fine but it died because of being cold so i went to start it again, but it wouldnt, the battery didnt have enough juice to get the starter to work. so we put it up to the charger and charged it and it started up fine, i got home shut it off and turned it on numerous times and it was fine. it happened again here midweek, and i did the same. now today i went to start it and it was weak again so i was all ready to ride so i hooked it up to the charger and started it, and took the charger off, rode it, it died and i had to push it home. now shouldnt the battery recharge itself when the quad is on? well its not. and now i charged the battery for a good 3 hours, and now it has no power not even for lights. and when the charger is hooked up to the quad it cant get it to start either. the chargers meter also is at zero when hooked up.. i know i need a battery thats for sure, but the other problems? bad connections? im not sure.. but i need help:(

Ruby Soho
02-02-2007, 07:05 PM
also, where can i find a battery that i can go buy? i dont want to order one. my dad says sears carries motorcycle batteries, but there website has none..

Pappy
02-02-2007, 07:15 PM
the charging system will maintain the battery, and seeing you already did the correct thing by charging it, i would geuss its time for a new one.

the part number is YTX9BS, many places carry them, I prefer the Yuasa brand over all others.

Honda#4
02-02-2007, 07:27 PM
I think when a battery is half dead the alternator can't keep it charged enough to to provide a good turn over rate when it's cold out, it may seem it charges but it would'nt be enough cus the battery is so low. The reason why it starts when it's warm out is because all the oil in the motor and tank is all thinned out so it flows faster and when it's cold out the oil is really thick and it takes a lot of battery juice to move all the oil to a point when the motor is hot enough to move it on it's own.

Sorry this is so long, I hope this makes sense sorry if it don't.

northwest Texas
02-02-2007, 08:36 PM
It almost sounds more to me maybe a bad connection than the battery that's making intermittent contact.

It shouldn't charge your battery if it's dead but the electrical system should keep it from losing charge. Alternators don't really charge but keep the battery from losing charge. You can't jump start your quad with a dead battery and ride it until the battery receives a full charge, it don't work that way.

Look for an alternator shop. There's got to be an Interstate (among many others) dealer you can get a battery if you need one. They can also test your battery to see if it's good or not before you buy.

Also, cold weather is really hard on a good battery, much less a weakened battery. Extreme heat....same way.

hondaracer57
02-02-2007, 09:17 PM
i went ridin today it was about 15 degrees out and mine would barely start some time and i think it is the cam cause after u put an aftermarket cam in it doesnt have a compression release anymore and i only have stage 1 u have stage 3 maybe look for a battery that has higher cranking amps...

Pappy
02-02-2007, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by hondaracer57
maybe look for a battery that has higher cranking amps...

that would be part# YT12ABS

hondaracer57
02-02-2007, 09:32 PM
where do u use that part #?auto store or like a honda dealer ship?cause im think about getin one after my quad starts getin hot its a pain to start...

Pappy
02-02-2007, 10:01 PM
it will cross reference to most brands, but again, do yourself a favor and get a Yuasa.

I stock them, they are $73 shipped (YT12ABS) and if you go shopping, do not confuse it with the YTX12BS, they are not the same!

HondaSkidoo
02-03-2007, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
the charging system will maintain the battery, and seeing you already did the correct thing by charging it, i would geuss its time for a new one.

the part number is YTX9BS, many places carry them, I prefer the Yuasa brand over all others.

[
it will cross reference to most brands, but again, do yourself a favor and get a Yuasa.

I stock them, they are $73 shipped (YT12ABS) and if you go shopping, do not confuse it with the YTX12BS, they are not the same!

Ok so which one is the best and what is the difference? Thanks

Pappy
02-03-2007, 04:54 PM
both part #'s in Yuasa are superior to others in the marketplace, with the YT12ABS offering signifigantly more cranking power over the YTX9BS

the main difference in the power sport line of batteries is the way they are constructed, with Yuasa using far better plate design and a superior method of securing the plates in the battery. The cheaper batteries on the market tend to have a much higher rate of failure due to cell loss caused by plate seperation causing a cell to effectively short out.