PDA

View Full Version : OH MY-Another build

QuadJunkies
02-02-2007, 12:17 AM
Just when my ole man and I thought we would be done for abit, my son got a new quad so its going to be another tear down for gussets ect...:scary: :o lol

MY lil man Brandon LOVES the Yellow/black scheme so we got the same colors as before.
Were contemplating colors.
Ive been thinking the frame,axle,nerfs and bumper in Matte black like we did for LILQJ.
Anyone got any color suggetions??

I cant think of anything really since its black and yellow mix in plastic:confused:

etondaddy
02-02-2007, 10:03 PM
Well check out Kyle’s yellow. It’s Columbia coatings super mirror yellow base and the top coat is my own creation, I got there 1/2oz silver sparkles that treats 1 to 3 pounds of powder and mixed the hole thing with 1 pound of super high gloss clear. It’s pretty wild looking……. Kinda like a peril thing ……… I shot the top coat hot like I always do and got it on heavy it looks wild.

I can't wait to see it in the sunlight it should look wild

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/Frame019.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/Frame016.jpg

QuadJunkies
02-02-2007, 11:09 PM
thats pretty trick! :cool:
the green was so tough to work with that I dunno if the guys want a big job this time around :p

Was it an easy powder to work with?

etondaddy
02-03-2007, 04:09 AM
Every Columbia powder I’ve used I’ve loved. But I’ve found the key is (and especially with the hobby gun as they call it) shoot HOT I shoot base coat and top coat at 150* to 200* or so. With the low KV’s of the hobby gun your just putting powder on the ground if you don’t shoot hot. I learned a lot from Caswell's chat forum. And I think I’m starting to but out some nice stuff. But if you don’t what a little dirt in it don’t have me do it Ha Ha Ha

Last year when I really did't have a clue and tried to shot the red top coat I had red powder freaking everywhere.................

Shoot it HOT and let it start to melt as it hits....... I think thats what you ment by hard to work with ???????

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/ResizeofPicture010.jpg

QuadJunkies
02-03-2007, 09:27 AM
The guys went to the forums as well trying to figure out how to work with the powder a little easierand done what they reccomended.They did shoot it HOT,at least 200 degrees .IT was a very difficult powder to work with is all I know and they said they would NEVER use it again.A couple really small cracks was something we saw
One thing about the green they had issues with was heavy separations of colors(blue,yellow,green) when they were shooting the frame up to temp. and as they were applying the powder you could see yellow was shooting to the frame and green was powder in the air and anything laying on the catch tray under the frame had more of a blue/green.If you were looking at the powder in the can,you could see the separated yellow and green
We want to keep it somewhat simlpe this time with just a one stage I think. lol

03sp500
02-03-2007, 09:37 AM
etondaddy

did you build that oven or buy it? If you built it were did you get the plans, and what does it use for a heat source

Thanks

etondaddy
02-04-2007, 02:46 PM
Quadjunkies

Ya some colored top coats are a pain, I think every time I do one I say I'll never do it again LOL LOL

03sp500

I built the oven myself the plans are in my head. It's started as a old metal cabinet. If you need help building a oven e-mail me at mikekozura@yohoo.com. Start by getting yourself a couple of old house ovens. It's powdered by 220v electric.

QuadJunkies
02-16-2007, 10:16 AM
WEll, we have it stripped to the bone ,Guessets will be done this wk end hopefully ,Suspention came 2 days ago,A-Arms are on there way ...I guess its SHOWTIME!:p

We have decided to make the entire quad textured black . As much as I would like to be more creative, my son needs seatime more than the bling at this point since hes got a full series were in the middle of right now.

QuadJunkies
02-17-2007, 10:06 AM
welding is done, we found there was several unclosed gaps within the Chassis that needed cleaned up .We re-inforced some trouble spots that we had with both out other minis in hopes that we wont have to learn by trial and error on this one .

QuadJunkies
02-17-2007, 10:07 AM

QuadJunkies
02-17-2007, 10:07 AM

QuadJunkies
02-17-2007, 10:08 AM

QuadJunkies

QuadJunkies

QuadJunkies
02-17-2007, 10:09 AM

QuadJunkies
02-17-2007, 10:09 AM

QuadJunkies
02-17-2007, 10:10 AM

QuadJunkies
02-17-2007, 10:10 AM

QuadJunkies
02-17-2007, 10:11 AM

QuadJunkies
02-22-2007, 12:52 PM
A-arms and swinger came yesterday
Blasting is done, PC is tomorrow.
We might have this done by the wk end!

etondaddy
02-22-2007, 03:35 PM
Wow............ is that a sweeeet picture or what. I'm done.......... that's it for this year but we will have one of those swing arms next year.

wvspeedfreak
02-22-2007, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
A-arms and swinger came yesterday
Blasting is done, PC is tomorrow.
We might have this done by the wk end!

That is some serious looking hardware right there :eek2: I love it :macho

QuadJunkies
02-22-2007, 11:51 PM
DC's products are top notch in my book!
I havent even seen his quad put together since we got it so Im anxious to see it put together!:macho
We will also be sporting a new dual chain tensioner here any time now as well that will be good with the LT set up.
I dont know about that much yet,only from what Troy has told me briefly.

Were on a waiting list for some GO FAST products that are some new releases ,yet will keep him in the 90cc Disp.
I hear the gains are quite impressive .:cool:

QuadJunkies
02-22-2007, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by etondaddy
. I'm done.......... that's it for this year but we will have one of those swing arms next year.
Oh ssssuuuureee.... Thats what we all say.... :p
I quit saying it cause it doesnt work. LOL

I swear Im NEVER gonna get me a new 450 :(

etondaddy
02-23-2007, 05:17 AM
Oh ssssuuuureee.... Thats what we all say.... :p
I quit saying it cause it doesnt work. LOL

I swear Im NEVER gonna get me a new 450 :(

HA Ha............ your right !!!

I sent our +3 swing arm I got last year from Cory at Kool Kidz to Dave (DC) to get that duel chain tensioner but on it. But next year we're getting one of those round house deals.

QuadJunkies
02-23-2007, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by etondaddy
HA Ha............ your right !!!

I sent our +3 swing arm I got last year from Cory at Kool Kidz to Dave (DC) to get that duel chain tensioner but on it. But next year we're getting one of those round house deals.

\Yeah, at this point until we get the tensioner he cant reallyjump it,Troy said with the LT set up he coudl see that become a problem REALLY quick..
\We sold his Hetrick tenionser with his mini so right now it doesnt have anything at this point.
We debated on the Round house ,but since we done everything else we figured he will be on this for a couple more years so we might as well bite the bullet now and be done with it .

do you know how hard thats gonna be on my boy NOT to jump his new suspention?:huh :p LOL!

QuadJunkies
02-24-2007, 10:32 AM
We didnt PC as many parts as planned as we ran out of powder :ermm: I REALLY wanted to do the axle but we ended up with the frame and nerfs only. I will be ordering more powder next week so we can do my Daughters heel guards and the 450's nerfs so eventually it will get done.

Should be done today!:D

QuadJunkies
02-24-2007, 10:34 AM
It probably would have look better with a Glossy to match the AArms, but we used what we had in stock so we could rush this along so he can get some seat time.
The texture was a little more course this time around as well for some reason.

QuadJunkies
02-24-2007, 10:35 AM
I dig these nerfs and the litltle kick up they have when essembled.

QuadJunkies
02-24-2007, 10:36 AM
The pictures arent the best ,Ill get some better ones in a bit .

QuadJunkies
02-25-2007, 01:55 PM
Ok.. Anyone know if you have to do any modifying to get the brake calipers mounted on the billet aluminum plate?

Is there any type of retainer clip that holds the billet plate on?

And... is there a dif sprocket hub that needs to be used?

It seems like there is too much space between the sprocket hub and seal.

Heres a few pics

QuadJunkies
02-25-2007, 01:56 PM

QuadJunkies

QuadJunkies

QuadJunkies

QuadJunkies
02-25-2007, 01:57 PM

QuadJunkies
02-25-2007, 01:57 PM
I gues it will sit until I find out for sure:(

QuadJunkies
02-25-2007, 01:58 PM
I guess I should order up some wheel spacers, the rear end is much too narrow now!:eek2: :p

QuadJunkies
02-25-2007, 01:59 PM
I want to trim the front fenders abit..
If anyone has some good shots of it done, can ya post Em up for me!

etondaddy
02-26-2007, 12:57 PM
I can’t help you with the axel but mxdad423 maybe able to he’s working today I will can him later. What I need is, do you have any front brake cables from the DRR and how long are they. ? Our left one won’t reach and Justin at Max RPM can’t help me. The stock E-Ton cable is 36 ½ long.

mxdad423
02-26-2007, 03:15 PM
Ok as far as the retaining ring yes, there should be a retaining clip that holds the caliper mounting bracket on, usally they are already on when you get your swingarm but I know the last one I got it wasn't because Dave broke his snap ring pliers and had to order another set so what may have happened is the snap ring was in the box with paper and you may not have seen it, I did the same thing with a couple of heim joints, OOPS.

mxdad423
02-26-2007, 03:24 PM
Ok on the sprocket hub and rotor hub in the pics it looks to me like the axle is in backwards normally the part with the threads is on the left side (Rotor side). with the axle out of the bike stand it up with the threaded end of the axle at the top slide the sprocket hub over the axle with the long side of the hub going on first slide it all the way down to the stop on the axle then slid the axle through the carrier, so the threads on the axle should now be on the rotor side then slide the rotor and rotor hub on and that should give you the clearance for the caliper to fit, I think you just had the axle in backwards from what I could see. hope that helps, let me know...

mxquadracer3
02-26-2007, 04:08 PM
mxdad423 is right for the e-ton not drx. You have it right but the splines on the rotor hub may only go on one way. Hope that helps, quad is looking good.

DRX's RULE!!

mxdad423
02-26-2007, 04:40 PM
OK I wasn't sure about that on the DRX but by looking at the alighnment in the pics thought that might have been the problem because it sure looks like the way the splines are lineing up on boths sides that if you turned the axle around it would lighn right up. But again I have only built E-tons and Kasea's so I don't have any experience with the DRX's.

mxdad423
02-26-2007, 04:50 PM
Don't know if this will help much but here is a pic of the Round housing swingarm bolted up on a DRX it is a pic Dave sent me when he first come out with this swing arm I forgot I had it and I was wrong about the axle being backwards, sorry. Hope this helps you...

QuadJunkies
02-26-2007, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by mxdad423
Ok as far as the retaining ring yes, there should be a retaining clip that holds the caliper mounting bracket on, usally they are already on when you get your swingarm but I know the last one I got it wasn't because Dave broke his snap ring pliers and had to order another set so what may have happened is the snap ring was in the box with paper and you may not have seen it, I did the same thing with a couple of heim joints, OOPS.

LOL
yup, found out today that he just forgot to include it, I think he shipped it out today.:)

QuadJunkies
02-27-2007, 01:03 AM
Im diggin the nerf bars!!These are what we got . I like the style abit better

http://www.maximumrpm.com/atv/pics/NERFUNIV_zoom.jpg

QuadJunkies
02-27-2007, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by mxdad423
Don't know if this will help much but here is a pic of the Round housing swingarm bolted up on a DRX it is a pic Dave sent me when he first come out with this swing arm I forgot I had it and I was wrong about the axle being backwards, sorry. Hope this helps you...
Thanks for everyone help-we appreciate it! :)
We too thought the smae thing ,turns out its just missing some parts so we should be good to go!
Thanks for the pic, I was curious about the slide and the tensioner and what it looked like.

QuadJunkies
02-28-2007, 12:52 PM
spacers,chain guide,grips and tranny saver arrived today. Also installed the new shaft last night .

Getting closer!

QuadJunkies
03-06-2007, 11:40 PM
Well we got it wrapped up this evening. Ill try and get some pics up after I get back into town .Ill be missing his debut riding it this wk end as Ill be at Round 3 of WORCS.If the weather holds up , Im sure we will be out training the wk end after at the MX.

One change we did make was we installed the stock 450r brake lines as the stock ones did not have enough slackand done a few upgrades on the bolts..
I need to still cut the fenders if I can figure out what cut to give them and will eventually go with a 4-1 offset wheel as I think the front is just tad bit overkill . lol :p
I cant wait to get the motor mods done and the number plates-thats all that we are waiting on at this point. :)

the set up is sure saweeet...!

QuadJunkies
03-08-2007, 11:26 PM
We had a little bit of a set back .
Turns out we got the wrong A-arm set up. Apparently we have one of the quads that are the newly redesigned ones (upper Aarms change?) I dont know all theins and outs on this as I found out about it while at work,so we will be set back another week until we can get the correct ones on.

No wonder my ole man couldnt get the front end to set up right. lol
My sons got ants in his pants and this wait is about to kill him.:p
Thanks Kool kidz for helping Troy get this figured out. :)

bulldogfallon
03-09-2007, 04:36 AM
The frame change was to allow for easier access to make removing the head easier on the water cooled models.

Nothing worse than having your ride almost done and not being able to take it out for a test run.

Kool Kidz is good people....

Everyone involved in the DRR brand seems to be honest and dedicated to the sport and the brand.

Good Luck

Bubbathegoat
03-11-2007, 08:36 PM
Looking for the contact info for DC Motorsports.

etondaddy
03-11-2007, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Bubbathegoat

Dave Carter
72 West Republican Rd.
Greenbrier, AR 72058
(501) 472-9668

Sh@t I'm glad you ask that I have to call him with a cc number for my chain tensioner

bulldogfallon
03-11-2007, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Bubbathegoat

Hey goat....How did you come up with that screen name?

We have a goat and will be picking up a two more next weekend.

Our goats are the fainters......Not sure if you guys have seen them before, but when they get scared their muscles lock up and they just fall over.

Much friendlier and not as troublesome as most other goats....

ecmini1
03-11-2007, 09:42 PM
Bulldog, Goats? Thats cool.

bulldogfallon
03-11-2007, 11:09 PM
We have chickens and a horse too.

My girls as I call them (the hens) come to the back door every morning to get a treat...cerial, chips etc

They even hop inside the house sometimes....

If they are not there I make my chicken sounds and they come find me for breakest.

QuadJunkies
03-15-2007, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by bulldogfallon
The frame change was to allow for easier access to make removing the head easier on the water cooled models.

Nothing worse than having your ride almost done and not being able to take it out for a test run.

Boy, you got that right!

We should have things dialed in this week sometime(I HOPE!) times a wasting and my son needs SEAT TIME BADLY!

They are getting measured and fitted as we speak to fit correctly so this hopefully wont happen againor to anyone else, unless they change something else w/o these aftermarket peeps knowing about it :chinese:
I guess it was abit of a surprise to them that we got one of the newer models on the West Coast so soon.

dodgepower
03-15-2007, 07:39 AM
Quad,

Just some insight those heel guards can and will break off. We went threw some. Get some others ordered for back up.

QuadJunkies
03-15-2007, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by dodgepower
Quad,

Just some insight those heel guards can and will break off. We went threw some. Get some others ordered for back up.
Grrreeatt...hey-thanks for the pre warning on them, Ill make sure and do that!
I know our AC's had issues so we had to weld them up alot more ot make them more durable.

How much does the heel guards alone run in price?
We was thinking of altering these to fit my Daughter Hybrid as well. Ill need to order a couple of them.

dodgepower
03-15-2007, 05:14 PM
I dont remember we used to get them from TeamSims but not sure can anymore. They break where the top attaches to the frame often. If your rider dont rest heels on them might be ok but mine does and well lets say he found their weakness:)

markvette
03-15-2007, 06:17 PM
i heard they were going to change the dual a-arm set up. we had 2 of the first ones in the shop and we had to pull the motor out of the frame just to get the plastic head shroud off. if you needed to do a top end the motor has to come out of the frame.

Mark

bulldogfallon
03-15-2007, 11:11 PM
The frames have been changed to help with the head removal

Just rec'd a few 07s tonight....

Have a set of Pink plastics that I will post a pic of since a lot of people want to see what the pink looks like

QuadJunkies
03-20-2007, 01:56 AM
A-Arms ship back out tomorrow(WHOO HOO!)
DC now has the current 07 specs for the new a-arms if anyone is wanting to purchase.
Should be able to finally RIDE this wk end!:blah:

Before we wrap this up... anyone got any last minute suggestions to check over before we wrap this up?
This is what all we done that comes to mind...

Tranny Saver
Suspention(front and Rear)
Gussets
PC
grips
a few minor mods to pep it up a bit
chain tentioner
nerf bars
Koso pipe
wheel spacers for rear
stock 450r brake lines

Nichols Atvs
03-20-2007, 10:30 AM
Flexx handle bars

QuadJunkies
03-20-2007, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Nichols Atvs
Flexx handle bars
never thought of that one actually.. lol
MY oldest will get a set 1st though for her Hybrid.
Ill add that too-thanks:)

AFROracing
03-27-2007, 01:54 PM
A-Arms ship back out tomorrow(WHOO HOO!)
DC now has the current 07 specs for the new a-arms if anyone is wanting to purchase.
Should be able to finally RIDE this wk end!:blah:

Before we wrap this up... anyone got any last minute suggestions to check over before we wrap this up?
This is what all we done that comes to mind...

Tranny Saver
Suspention(front and Rear)
Gussets
PC
grips
a few minor mods to pep it up a bit
chain tentioner
nerf bars
Koso pipe
wheel spacers for rear
stock 450r brake lines

KOSO pipe? What pipe came on your's stock was it the new version? Did you guys do any testing before hand, just wondering I thought the new version was pretty darn HOT!

And what chain tensioner?

QuadJunkies
03-28-2007, 12:57 AM
Its the dual one DC Motorsports sells.

I dunno what the new version really is, my Husband I think said something about the stock one was the same the DRR 50 comes with ??This KOSO is the upgraded version I believe. He knows more about this than I do right now . I do know the stock one that was on there was not overly impressive.Hopefully this other one will be abit better. Would like to see a pipe with a bit more bottom end power.
Im hoping also the power will be improved soon,its not as peppy as my Sons Eton was so far.Hopefully Suspention will make up for it some . We wont be too critical just yet until he gets a good run on it .I do know after talking to my ole man today that it def. needs some jetting changes,its pretty whack right now . lol

This boy of mine has been sooo patient, I cant wait to see him ride it !

We STILL havent got to even test this mini as we are still waiting on one part that was needed to come.

MY Son races it next week(SUPPOSED TO!) we are in hopes of taking it for a spin any day now

Were looking forward to some good testing soon ,Ill be sure to post some pics and how it handled! :) WORCS should be a good test !:macho

QuadJunkies
03-31-2007, 01:59 AM
FINALLY..... getting some RIDE TIME!
Off to the sand and the MX this wk end to do a little riding.
He had such a blast!
Ill post some pics up Im sure from the wk end.

He went and broke it in yesterday and all I can say is the suspention was all that and then some!:macho
It was a little quicker than we thought initially,the pipe is DEF. a top end pipe.Its like nothing we have ever ran before.
We might shop around at some point when more pipes become avail. in the future as we would like to see abit more bottom end to it.
Jetting is still off abit and has a tough spot off the line to dial in. Also a small leak in the radiator .Hopefully that is just something that needs tightened up abit more.
Its funny(well not really lol)it took exactly a week before the opening round of WORCS it took us to buckle up my Daughters Hybrid,same for this project.

Thats it...!! Tomorrow its nothing but me chillin and having a few beers for me,they can train and Ill watch :D :p
this has been entirely too stressful of a week for us. :scary:

Hopefully its all fun from here on out..:)

kenjolly
04-04-2007, 11:22 AM
I am getting a water cooled drx 90 this weekend and plan on doing a complete rebuild ANY TIPS that will save me some trouble.

Thanks Ken

QuadJunkies
04-04-2007, 12:03 PM
dbl check your impellars :o :chinese: lol
(another topic I had started :p )

Just check over everything very thoughly.

BACKWOODSBOYZ
04-09-2007, 11:51 AM
Hello folks,
I am trying to get to get in touch with MXDAD423
I would like to talk to him about chain tessioner and guide
thanks ,Mike

etondaddy
04-09-2007, 04:38 PM
I just called him and let him know.

mxdad423
04-09-2007, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by BACKWOODSBOYZ
Hello folks,
I am trying to get to get in touch with MXDAD423
I would like to talk to him about chain tessioner and guide
thanks ,Mike

Hey Mike (etondaddy) just called me and let me know you was trying to get ahold of me about some chain tensioners, you can e-mail me at ksmitley@atlanticbb.net or call me. I will PM you with my phone number....