PDA

View Full Version : Needle Adjustment

stvemerz
02-01-2007, 09:25 PM
I have a bone stock 400ex 2007....I'm waiting to get my HMF slip on exhaust system...using stock airbox and stock airfilter....I've read plenty of threads that state to run a 152 keihn main with a 42 pilot...Thats what is supplied with the HMF slipon....No problem..my question is...the stock 2007 needle is not adjustable...so I decided to order a 2004 honda 400 ex needle...If I run the clip 3 down from the top...it is in the same place the stock non-adjustable needle is set..so no advantage...Would it be best to run it 4 spots down from the top...I'm wondering if anyone has noticed this...Will 4 down be to rich for this setup...and if it is can adjusting the air fuel screw in...help out? Any advice?

hornetgod13
02-02-2007, 07:12 AM
Steve,
The clip on the third slot down is what I would recommend with just a slip-on installed. A 152K main jet sounds close too. When and if you decide to open up your air box than it may be time to move the clip down to the 4th slot and get a bigger main jet. Adjusting the fuel screw will not help your mid-throttle range. The fuel screw is for idle and up to 1/8th throttle. Mine's still on the third slot down but, it's a DynoJet needle and may be tapered a bit differently.
Did you get your Exhaust yet? Are we riding Saturday. I have a stock exhaust and bumper you can use for the ride if you're interested. I saved all my stock parts except for my rims and tires.
Let me know,
Bill

stvemerz
02-02-2007, 08:25 AM
Thanks Hornetgod13...I sent you an e-mail about what the quad is doing...running rich...black powder and some brown color...I think that the needle is the problem since I did put the clip at 4 down and should have left it at 3...Yes...we ride...Finally...check my e-mail i sent so I can get this engine dialed in right so we can ride rather than play around with it...but I think I know what needs to be done....

hornetgod13
02-02-2007, 08:34 AM
I'm still dorking around with my fuel screw. I've been bouncing around between 2 and 3 turns out trying to find the right setting at idle.
I just ordered my full set of Cobra skids.
I sent you a PM.