PDA

View Full Version : Is it normal? 310R

4LEAFCLOVER
02-01-2007, 07:44 PM
Is it normal for the 2 strokes to leak the gas/oil mixture out of the pipe where it connects under the rear fender? I just bought this 310R and I'm new to the 2stroke life? Didn't know if anyone else experiences this or not.

250Renvy
02-01-2007, 08:14 PM
My experience is that when you are running really rich you will get a lot of oil spatter out of all connections. I had a completely stock 86 with fmf pipe and the guy who had it before me ran it with a 20:1 ratio and there was oil sprayed at the motor and the pipe/silencer connection.

I'd probably lean it out abit depending on what your mix is and if that doesn't help maybe someone else has some advice.

wilkin250r
02-01-2007, 08:36 PM
Yes and no.

It's not normal for it to leak a LOT. If you're spraying and dripping everywhere, you have a problem.

However, they don't call them "2-smokes" for nothing. They burn oil, and it doesn't always get a complete burn. If you have an exhaust leak at ANY spot, it's going to get oily and dirty.

However, you shouldn't have an exhaust leak at that connection. Ideally, you shouldn't have an exhaust leak at ANY connection. Many people use a little copper silicone at the joints. Just don't use so much that it squishes out everywhere, or squishes out inside the pipe.

And like mentioned above, you might want to check your jetting.

250r4life
02-02-2007, 12:00 AM
whoa... wilkin.. havent seen a post of yours in a long time... where you been?

4LEAFCLOVER
02-02-2007, 04:04 AM
Thanks alot fellas and you summed it up perfectly 250 Renvy because that's exactly where it's leaking out at (pipe/silencer connection). It's not a bad leak, as a matter of fact it only did it when I crank it up that first time. I haven't really got to experience to see if it's going to continue to do it bad because I rode it down the street twice and the aftermarket Magura hydrolic clutch started acting up so I had to load it up and take it to my local dealership. So when I get it back I will keep an eye on it and fix what needs to be fixed. I'm running a 32:1 mixture, is that normal or should I try something else? Thanks again guys.

02-02-2007, 07:23 AM
running rich....rich is always a million times better then lean... :D Atleast you know the motor probally isnt hurt

ChvyCruzen
02-02-2007, 07:43 AM
I thought if you ran TOO RICH you can wash out the piston rings and lose compression?

ESrider
02-02-2007, 09:07 AM
Burning up the rings from washing the cylinder walls down due to running rich is mainly for 4-strokes. With a 2-stroke more gas in the cylinder means more oil too, becuase of the mix. It could happen I guess, but I don't believe so. The only problem I've ever had with running a 2-stroke too rich was fouling plugs and making a mess .

02-02-2007, 09:38 AM
yeah i wouldnt have a problem picking up a used quad or 2 strke bike that has oil all over the place

kiesta00
02-02-2007, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by ChvyCruzen
I thought if you ran TOO RICH you can wash out the piston rings and lose compression?

I've heard that running too rich can actually help the rings seal better and gives more compression. There was a discussion about that on another forum. Can't believe everything you hear so yeah...unless its from Neil or wilkins :)

4LEAFCLOVER
02-02-2007, 12:27 PM
You are right about making a mess because that's exactly what it did. Got oil/gas mixture all over my chrome parts and motor. It's not too bad but it's bad enough when it's suppose to be shiny. I'm going to have to give it a good wipe down when I get it back from the dealership. It's a very nice quad and I love the look. I'm going to post some pics up of it here pretty soon. Well thanks again for all the help fellas because I'm new to the 2 stroke side of the house.

ChvyCruzen
02-02-2007, 12:45 PM
Are you positive its gas/oil mix? Not tranny oil?

deathman53
02-02-2007, 01:28 PM
there was a study done with a yz250, the dyno showed the most compression and power with 16:1 mix and jetted accordingly, but it fouled plugs out very easy. The extra oil sealed the rings very good for a better burn. Of course, this came at an expense of plugs. I never heard of a rich 4 stroke will burn up rings, I always thought the opposite, the gas will cool the cylinder some, if not, why does a lean bike run very hot????

kustomfab2003
02-02-2007, 02:07 PM
4LEAF, keep in mind that the quad you got was setup for Glamis and Arizona, which is exactly sea level, sometimes slightly lower and for hard riding in the dunes. You might be running rich because you are at a higher elevation, difference in dryness of air, and need to adjust your main jet down a size.

Josh

ESrider
02-02-2007, 03:28 PM
A lean 4-stroke does run hotter, but if it's too rich over time it washes the oil off of the cylinder walls and causes premature wear to the piston, rings and cylinder wall. It can also thin and pollute the oil to the point of causing bearing and crank/rod damage. This only applies to 4-strokes though.

deathman53
02-02-2007, 03:54 PM
I have seen very rich 4 strokes that the old smells like gas and the plug was jet black also. I bought one that way, I went to change the oil and I thought, I was draining the gas tank. Leaned the main jet up, new oil, new plug, checked compression and end of the problem. I didn't know it will prematurely wear the top end, I didn't keep the bike long enough to find out. Kicking the bike still would break my leg, when I sold it about 6 months later. I guess it couldn't have ran too long like that(very rich).

I worked in a shop for a short time and we had a guy bring in his 300ex, but it had a 400ex carb jetted for a port/polish, cam, and exhaust. He ran it quite some time that way, about 3 months later, we saw it again, with a seized motor.

4LEAFCLOVER
02-03-2007, 07:04 AM
Any idea what might be a good main jet to run out here because I don't know what's in the quad right now and I don't do the work on my quad. I'm not that mechanically inclined to do the work myself. I know in my 450r I was running a 175 main jet/ 50 pilot. So if this 310R isn't running a 175 main do you think I should have the local dealer put the 175 main in it while they have it to see if that will help the problem?

Originally posted by kustomfab2003
4LEAF, keep in mind that the quad you got was setup for Glamis and Arizona, which is exactly sea level, sometimes slightly lower and for hard riding in the dunes. You might be running rich because you are at a higher elevation, difference in dryness of air, and need to adjust your main jet down a size.

Josh

peeping TOM
02-03-2007, 08:35 AM
do a plug chop . WOT and kill her ,pull the clutch in and see what the plugs like . and start doing the maintenance your self , i;d never trust a dealer again. learn your self how u quad works, there easy to work on ... no one can say what main jet u bike wants without a plug chop.