PDA

View Full Version : Sanding & polishing aluminum ?

damian600
02-01-2007, 07:41 PM
im about to start sanding my aluminum grab bar, should I just go back and forth with the sand paper, or should I use a circular motion?

mustangflyboy
02-01-2007, 09:38 PM
I don't think it matters

quadgod440ex
02-02-2007, 05:16 AM
unless u are planning on never riding the quad i would say go with powdercoating it or chroming it if u want a shine. Polishing is alot of work and after a few rides its dull and u need to repolish it. Dont get me wrong it looks really good if u know what ur doing and sometimes u can get away with clear coating it but its just to much to keep up on with a quad. I have tons of polished stuff on my streetbike And its even hard to keep up with that. I also had my old 400ex polished alot and it is deffinatly a pain on a quad. Powder coat is alot stronger and just holds up so much better. Its all a matter of opinion but make sure its what u really want. Good luck if u need any other polishin tips let me know. And as for the sanding , On a grab bar unless its powdercoated u shouldnt have much sanding to do and it doesnt really matter which way u sand it.

ShiftFMX
02-02-2007, 08:40 AM
If I were you, I would just rub some mothers on there and be done with it. You will still be satisfied with the shine

RAMIT
02-02-2007, 09:39 AM
Diddo on the mothers polish!! Buy a "Power Ball" with the Mother's Power Ball Metal Polish, hook it up the drill and let it do what it does! Fast and easy!

ShiftFMX
02-02-2007, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by RAMIT
Diddo on the mothers polish!! Buy a "Power Ball" with the Mother's Power Ball Metal Polish, hook it up the drill and let it do what it does! Fast and easy!

Hey do you know if wal mart carries the Power ball?

RAMIT
02-02-2007, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by ShiftFMX
Hey do you know if wal mart carries the Power ball?

They don't seem to have it when I go there if they do carry it...lol. I think I got mine at Autozone...I know it was a parts store of some type. Hope that helps.
Matt

ShiftFMX
02-02-2007, 09:48 AM
Cool man, Thanks!

Flodies400ex
02-02-2007, 11:09 AM
the nappa auto parts store has it because I just picked soem mothers polish the powerball and it makes it shiny but you have to put alot of time to make it shiny but it does work for my rims

czrider263
02-03-2007, 06:01 PM
take your time and youll be fine.....

TarheelRedRider
02-03-2007, 07:56 PM
I use to build show cars and use to polish anything that could be. If you want a chrome like shine and keep it that way this is how you do it. Sand it with a hand sander and start with a medium grit paper. If you have any large scratches the med or 200 grit wont get them you will have to go with a more course grit. But just keep going up in grit to you get to a fine grit or you can use steel wool to do the finish. Go buy a cotton polish wheel at lowes and get some polishing rough. They have different types of rough for different metals. Put this on the cotton wheel and use a drill to buff the part. It will look like a mirror when you are done. Then just use a good clear coat to keep it that way.

Sjorge450R
02-04-2007, 05:34 AM
I used mothers with a 000 grit steel wool pad. Works everytime. my bajas look brand new after a year of hard XC racing.