PDA

View Full Version : Swingarm Bushings/Bearings Help!!!

Robin Hood
02-01-2007, 06:22 PM
Ok, so I've been banging the hell out of my bearings for 10 minutes or so with no luck. I ground down a 5/8 inch bolt just enough to fit inside the bearings. The manual doesn't explain anything about taking these suckers out, and I would really like to have these out by tonight if possible.

Are there any techniques to getting these out? Like do I hit them from the left/right side, use a certain tool etc.? I'll be checking back and forth on the forums periodically for the bext hour or so, so PLEASE post if you know anything!

Thanks a ton guys.:D

mxraptor149
02-02-2007, 09:49 AM
I can't remember if the last time I replaced my swingarm pivot bearings and bushings if I had to have them pressed or if I drove them outwards from the inside myself.

But, they did have to be pressed in. I'm pretty sure I did get them out myself because I had it sandblasted and powdercoated after I removed it.

I'm doing the same thing this weekend, so I will post an update. Though the measurements are the same, I've got an LSR swingarm and it's been a little easier for me to get the bearings out of that one than my stocker.

But it sounds like yours are probably just seized. I would try taking a propane torch and heating up the swingarm and bearings, then find a socket or something about the same circumference as the bearings so you can rest it on the bearings and bang on that applying even driving force.

Use WD-40 liberally (not before you heat it up!)

Robin Hood
02-02-2007, 01:36 PM
Ok, I got all of the bushings and bearings out, now I don't know how to get the new ones in the right way. The diagram in the manual doesn't look anything like the All Balls bearings I got, and I don't want to put anything in wrong and blow 45$ plus another 45$ for a new set.

If anyone has experience with the All Balls kit please post what to do or if you have a diagram I would apprecaite it.

Wish me luck.

mxraptor149
02-02-2007, 01:38 PM
I had my shop press my Pivot Works kit in. I tried and could not get it in myself. Might be the case with yours, too.

tater_kamik
02-02-2007, 04:34 PM
im prety sure when i did my swinger it ws an all balls kit and i ended up looking the part number up on the all balls website. i also froze the kit which helped a lot. other than that its been a while...