PDA

View Full Version : 300EX suspension upgrade update

ssduane
02-01-2007, 08:56 AM
First, I know pictures are needed, I'll get some up today hopefully.

I got to installing the 400ex A-arms on the 300 yesterday, all went good. Got the A-arms on and went to mount the shocks (z400 shocks), and they are too long. Thought I remember something about a kit to mount them different but instead I cut the lower A-arm mounts off and pushed them out, rewelded and went to hacking the upper mounts off and rewelded them. All in all it looks great, the stock break lines look like they have enough play, will see when I get the new 400ex tie rods. Ordered those yesterday from local cycle shop for 21.53 OTD for two. Found them for 7.71 each online but would have to pay shipping. Should be here tomorrow.

The boy should be happy with his new suspension :D .

enduro400rider
02-01-2007, 12:32 PM
by cutting those mounts and moving them you just ruined a good set of arms and defeated the purpose of the upgrade. shocks are to be mounted and a specific angle. you should have bought the remount, it would have saved you money in the long run.. now your going to be looking at a new set of arms. you dont want to mess around with suspention, it was designed by proffessionals who intended for it to be used in a specific way at the angle designed, since you moved to lower arm mounts you threw off the geometry

ssduane
02-01-2007, 03:28 PM
Wow, thanks for setting me straight. Now go back to school and learn something Endurorider.

Here's pictures, first is before I started and then after install, still have some work to do, cotter pins, tie rods, brake line clamps clean and paint etc..... This is just mocked up and somewhat tight.

http://members.cox.net/ssduane/DSCF4078.JPG
http://members.cox.net/ssduane/DSCF4086.JPG
http://members.cox.net/ssduane/DSCF4087.JPG
http://members.cox.net/ssduane/DSCF4088.JPG
http://members.cox.net/ssduane/DSCF4089.JPG

hillclimbingrec
02-01-2007, 04:18 PM
looks awesome dude, but like my freind with his 300ex did he just made a mount kit,welded it to the frame then bolted it to the frame, looks awesome tho!

Sjorge450R
02-01-2007, 04:36 PM
i know this may not sound like what you wanted to here but, those shock mounts are not safe. There is NO support above the top one or the below the bottom one.

AtvMxRider
02-01-2007, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
i know this may not sound like what you wanted to here but, those shock mounts are not safe. There is NO support above the top one or the below the bottom one.

I agree it looks dangerous

Pappy
02-01-2007, 06:01 PM
LOL...I am speechless

250ex13
02-01-2007, 06:20 PM
Oh my sweet baby moses. Please tape the first jump you take that off.

AtvMxRider
02-01-2007, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by 250ex13
Oh my sweet baby moses. Please tape the first jump you take that off.

LMAO:macho

ssduane
02-01-2007, 06:43 PM
Looks like I got some attention.

The uppers is gusseted with 1/4" plate. The only thing thats going anywhere is going to go with the square tubing rolling. Might cross bar it but don't think its needed.

I've been pondering boxing in the lower but I'm still pretty certain that the lowers will hold up.

So from Pappy and Jorge, where would you put additional support?

wolfpack91
02-02-2007, 07:02 AM
I realize that poor people have poor ways, but you are going to cost yourself more in the long road. How much of your time and money have you spent on this so far? You could have bought a shock relocator and been riding it worry free. Now you are trying to figure out where you need more gussets? Don't tell me you plan to race MX with this? You'll need about 10 pounds more of gussets to get it secured right, plus it won't be legal to race in any production class now either.
I'm not trying to be a diq, you did good but it just isn't quite right. Plus you will never be able to sell it with a stock set up.

not2hi
02-02-2007, 07:12 AM
you're going to have to gusset the he!! out of those bottom mounts...draw a straight line between the upper shock bolt and the lower shock bolt and then see what's beneath that on the bottom mounts...nothing! that's where the majority of the force will be placed...

good luck with that...:eek2:

Pappy
02-02-2007, 07:21 AM
IMO, the issue will be where the mount was moved on the arm. It will break out right beside the weld all the way around it.

For less then $200 you could have had a take off set of 400ex arms and a relocator bracket and not be wondering if it will hold up to the rigors of riding.

enduro400rider
02-02-2007, 07:48 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ssduane
[B]Wow, thanks for setting me straight. Now go back to school and learn something Endurorider.

Here's pictures, first is before I started and then after install, still have some work to do, cotter pins, tie rods, brake line clamps clean and paint etc..... This is just mocked up and somewhat tight.

seems like you should be the one going back to school ;) . if you want to make something completely unsafe, and cause yourself more work thats up to you, im just telling you, you ruined everything by doing that, you can gusset the hell out of it but its still gonna break off, just do it all over the right way. or go back to stock.... if you still even have that option.

ryanh250ex
02-02-2007, 09:25 AM
You are definitely going to need some additional welds on there. Or at least to feel 100% safe about it. I know I would add some additional guesseting.

The welds themselves look great and so does the geometry. The shocks might need to be re-valved for it to work to the best of its ability.

quadfamily
02-12-2007, 04:57 PM
I'd definately put some support under the lower shock mounts where it looks like there is nothing under it. At a minimum I would also try to put a triangular brace above the top mount for support and lastly a crossbar between the frame at the two top mounts. By using stock type stuff it looks like it's not being built for serious racing so I think it will work out fine for its intended porpose. Looks goog but please add those extra supports because we don't want to see anybody getting hurt!