PDA

View Full Version : Which carb to buy?

svahle
02-01-2007, 08:25 AM
I recently purchased another 250r. It is an 86. I am planning to buy a new carb and want some advice on what brand and size to buy. Please keep in mind that at some point I will probably go to a 310 and would like a carb that could be used then as well if possible.

It has a Bill's pipe and silencer, mild port and polish, and is bored .080 over. I don't know what other info is needed to make a recommendation, but please let me know and I will post additional info if possible.

Thanks for the help.

skyhighatv
02-01-2007, 09:06 AM
i would go with the 38mm air stryker -works well with a piped and mild port motor and works with 310-330 cylinders well from my experience-if your a dune rider i might go with a 39 or 40mm.

MathR601
02-01-2007, 09:17 AM
skyhighatv is right.
Keihin PWK 38mm air striker will provide a good all around power. The air striker part improves the throttle response.
You might also want the PWK 39mm which has better top end power increase but you lose a little of low end.
For MX, they use a/s for throttle response but Dunner like the 39mm... I don't know if your pipe is a top end pipe or what as well as your porting.
Bigger carb = more top end
Smaller carb = better low end

C-LEIGH RACING
02-01-2007, 09:28 AM
Another thing needed to know is what type of riding your going to be doing with the R, like woods riding or MX racing.
Lot of the guys running the GNCC use a 36mm & lots of compression so the engine pulls realy good down in the low rpms, more controlable set up like that.
Neil

svahle
02-01-2007, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the input thus far. As far as the pipe, I understand it is more of a mid/top end pipe. However, I feel it pulls a little harder down low than my previous R. I don't really know much about the port and polish other than it is not too extreme.

I bought this quad to take to the dunes. But, the reality is that I will only be at the dunes maybe 3-4 times per year. I do ride this quad on the more open and faster trails. I ride the 416ex on the slower and more technical trails.

From what I understand thus far, I am leaning toward the 38mm A/S. If I were going to be riding dunes more exclusively, I suppose I would more strongly consider the 39mm.

Thanks for the input and I welcome any other advice.