PDA

View Full Version : 350R kickback

honda182
01-31-2007, 10:01 PM
I have ct 350 pv and it always kicksback when I start it. I can hear it fire ones and then it kicks back hard. I have to get the perfect kick for it to start. It also backfires every ones in a while when I'm trying to start it. is this normal for the 350 engines or is my timing off. Right now I have a stock ignition with a janssen super coil. If its not normal I'd like to know the cure any help would be appreciated.

peeping TOM
02-01-2007, 09:23 AM
mmmmm should be interesting replie's . ive got exactly the same prob with my 330. dead on TDC or it won;t fire at all. its the inertia that gets it going . i,ll be watching this topic with interest ........

C-LEIGH RACING
02-01-2007, 09:52 AM
I think its a deal with the old stock ignition firing a little late & big piston compression issues.
Try when your cranking it to rotate the piston to TDC & then back off the kicker, get another grip & kick it hard as you can, that seamed to work right well for us.
Untill we got the CR ignition set up that was a problem with every R we had, even the little 270.
Another thing, how the kicker system is designed, it just wont turn the engine over real fast unless you realy kick it hard.
The R engine & old stock ignition needs to turn around 750 rpms just to produce a spark.
You probable need to go over every connection point of the ignition system & make sure you have a good clean contact between the metal surfaces, even the mounting points of the ignition. A good coat of spray lube sprayed onto every part wont hurt anything either.
Neil

Hoppedrap
02-01-2007, 10:00 AM
Try dropping the pilot down one jet.

86 Quad R
02-01-2007, 11:30 AM
personally i think it's just a trademark of the R with stock ignition thats had the compression bumped up a knotch or two, regardless of the bore size.

mine is only a 3rd overbore and if i'm not paying attention to that "magic" lil spot where the piston needs to be before i give it that starting kik. she'll mule kik ya back. lol my lil 80-90 lb nephews learned really fast where the "magic" stroke is.

slomoe
02-01-2007, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
personally i think it's just a trademark of the R with stock ignition thats had the compression bumped up a knotch or two, regardless of the bore size.

mine is only a 3rd overbore and if i'm not paying attention to that "magic" lil spot where the piston needs to be before i give it that starting kik. she'll mule kik ya back. lol my lil 80-90 lb nephews learned really fast where the "magic" stroke is.

That was my thought also just be sure to wear your boots

D Bergstrom
02-01-2007, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
mine is only a 3rd overbore and if i'm not paying attention to that "magic" lil spot where the piston needs to be before i give it that starting kik. she'll mule kik ya back. lol my lil 80-90 lb nephews learned really fast where the "magic" stroke is. [/B]

My 330 is the same way. When i first go to kick it I give it so-so kick. If the kicker goes all the way threw, bring it back to the top and kick it like you mean it. If it does not go all the way through, bring it back up, slowly kick it through once, bring it all the way back up, and give it a kick. Once I learned the "sweet spot", my quad has never kicked back on me. When I first bought the quad, I made the mistake of trying to start it with tennis shoe's on. Did not want ot make that mistake again, so started to put my riding boot on to kick it. Since I know where that sweet spot is, I have went back to starting it with tennis shoe's again.

Doug

waddle
02-01-2007, 12:13 PM
i had the same issues with my 310, my timing was off, ill take that 350pv off your hands if you dont want it,lol,lol

my88r
02-01-2007, 04:48 PM
kick back sucks i almost broke my foot this summer cuz it was the only time i didnt have my boots on

Jerry Prokop
02-01-2007, 07:40 PM
Neil is right I have a 300 non pv and a 350pv and I have to start them exactly as neil stated otherwise they don't start

honda182
02-01-2007, 08:54 PM
I'll have to try the sweet spot thing. And next time I go to start betsy I will have my riding boots on for sure because I have a huge bruise on the bottom of my foot now! Seems like kickback is a pretty common problem with the ole R. Does the cr ignition make a big difference in starting it. I've heard it makes a huge differences when it is running.

C-LEIGH RACING
02-01-2007, 08:59 PM
Yes sir ol kick back will git you, ask me did I walk around with crutches for awhile from kicking a 350 with regular shoes on, broke foot aint no fun atall.
Neil

atvmxr
02-02-2007, 07:26 AM
hahaha, guess you guys know what Im dealing with on the LT500! :D Yeah I learned a long time ago to softly kick them over to just past TDC and then kick the poop out of it and always were boots......:devil:

kiesta00
02-02-2007, 09:53 AM
lol I love reading the stories of 250r kickback trauma.

GOTFEAR
02-03-2007, 11:39 PM
kick back is hell! once my 350r kicked back bent my steel lined working boots hurt like hell couldent get the boot off and busted my thumb under the handlebare wen it kicked back my nee slamed my thumb and couldent ride worth a dam couldent feel nothing in my thumb or no feeling so now i slow kick down the first strok and HALF kick the monster but some times dont work but theirs one thing i will always do befor kicking turn my handlbars left.

addictedtomud
02-04-2007, 09:25 AM
I bought a 250r a few years ago that had a CT410 motor in it. The guy kicked it over, it started on the first kick and I didn't pay much attention to his technique. Anyway I got it home and tried to kick it like my quadzilla...big mistake! The billet Nac's kickstarter broke in half! I'm glad it was that instead of my foot. So I learned to rotate the kicker about halfway through the stroke and then ronch on it and it always started easily after that. That engine was an ANIMAL.

So I sold the motor about a year later on Ebay and the guy who bought it kicked it over with a tennis shoe on and ended up in the emergency room with bruised and torn ligaments in his right foot!

I also have had my knee smash into the thumb throttle before I learned to turn left.

The old R can be a sassy beotch sometimes, but its worth it.

Kyle

beerock
02-06-2007, 11:14 PM
hahhaa dont forget about thos shin bangers form the kick start ahahahahaa they hurt

never start a r without boots unless you know how to start them right or you will be screaming bloody murder. even if you do know how to start them though you can still get bit, like c leigh

86 Quad R
02-07-2007, 05:52 AM
and for those that are forgetful about wearing those boots or shin guards feel that its unecessery. here's what a big bore R can do to ya.

here's a photo that was shared a while back from a fellow R rider.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid223/pfb5d5c5cd1d5aa26431dbf1a8eafb719/ead69c56.jpg

Eddiesanders250
02-07-2007, 11:08 AM
ahaha that looks nice
im wearing boots now

garrettagr
02-07-2007, 11:38 AM
after viewing that photo i think that i need to invest in a new set of boots!! haha

kiesta00
02-07-2007, 05:47 PM
that pic kinda worries me...the guy who just finished building my motor said it kicks back like a MOFO, he had to pullstart it the other day :eek2:

I hope he was just bein dramatic lol...I'll find out tomorrow for myself...and i'm bringing shinguards lmao

86 Quad R
02-07-2007, 08:28 PM
learn to get a feel for the sweet spot on the stroke before starting it and you'll prevent most of the kik backs.

btw do you have any idea as to what your compression is/going to be?

C-LEIGH RACING
02-07-2007, 08:39 PM
You know if you look at that pic real close, see the hairs matted all together on that leg above the messed up spot, that where pee ran down his leg.
Neil

kiesta00
02-07-2007, 09:48 PM
He said the comp gauge reads 195psi...kinda high

I'll get to ride it tomorrow, he said first and 2nd on the road is pretty much gonna flip you over with the stock swing arm lol. I got a +6 coming this weekend so that'll be taken care of. :devil:

Aceman
02-07-2007, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by C-LEIGH RACING
You know if you look at that pic real close, see the hairs matted all together on that leg above the messed up spot, that where pee ran down his leg.
Neil

Haha, thanks for the heads up.:p

beerock
02-07-2007, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by kiesta00
He said the comp gauge reads 195psi...kinda high

I'll get to ride it tomorrow, he said first and 2nd on the road is pretty much gonna flip you over with the stock swing arm lol. I got a +6 coming this weekend so that'll be taken care of. :devil:

195? come on, im at 240!!

kiesta00
02-07-2007, 10:41 PM
well kinda high for the fuel i'm using. I'll probably have to go to C12...$8 a gallon booooooo :huh

hontrx265r
02-07-2007, 11:47 PM
I'm sure all of these aren't exaclty the same, but if your having kick back issues, and its not happening after you rotate just past top dead center, its because your timing is too advanced. If your using the stock ignition its non adj. consider this. Ignition is occuring just before top dead center, the reason for this is because of combusion lag ( the time it takes to create peak pressure before combustion can occur) If your running a higher compression engine, your going to reach a combustable pressure sooner, so you should retard your timing (if possible adj. plate, or cr ignition style which I think can be adj.) to compensate for this occurance. just my two cents, take it for what its worth.