PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference???

2K1 300EX
09-27-2002, 03:32 PM
Is there a difference between the white brothers rev limiter box that gives you extra rpms and the stock CDI box with the rev limiter removed?

RiPPiNiTuP7
09-27-2002, 03:39 PM
I think with the WB, it just allows it to rev a little bit more, but still limits the revs at some point, but with the stocker with no limiter, it has no point where it limits the revs...so yes they are different, but I could be wrong though...still trying to grasp all this myself :)

09-27-2002, 06:28 PM
i agree with RiPPiNiTuP7

tprender
09-27-2002, 06:44 PM
This is some things that I have been able to put together from other posts. The WB box is from the XR400, which is a kick start bike. That is the reason that it is hard to start on the 400EX. The electric starter will not spin the engine as fast as a kick starter does. I know nothing about the people moding the stock box. I do know that there is a stock box from something that will make the 400EX start like the stock box but give the extra rev's like the WB box. But I do not know from what model it comes from. The person would not tell me, but he would sell me one for $135. I am guessing that it is coming fromthe electric start XR650, but that is just a guess.
If you want to buy a WB box I have one that I will sell.

09-27-2002, 08:06 PM
the WB rev box increases the STOCK ignition curve which will give you a bit more acceleration and it will rev up a bit quicker.

Big - D Racing
09-27-2002, 09:27 PM
It does not increase the ignition curve(timing), I know this for a fact call White bros. if you don't believe. It keeps the stock timing and adds 1000rpm to the rev limiter. It is harder to start because it's not for an eletric start engine like tprender said.

stocktires
09-28-2002, 03:59 PM
aftermarket rev limiters seem like a bad idea to me for a thumper or almost any quad

09-28-2002, 05:41 PM
big d it DOES SO! i have a big ol' WB catalogue and im looking at the rev box right now. it states that the ignition curve advances much faster than stock which provides a better bottom end response, mid range punch and also adds 1000rpm. its on page D-79 of the 2001 MOTOVAN ATV accessory book also. :blah and i have noticed that it revs up faster and we tested it with our computerized tach where my father works and also on the Dyno. so once again.... :blah

09-28-2002, 09:25 PM
Unless you have a highly modified EX, the extra revs don't make any difference because the power drops off before you hit the stock rev limiter anyway.

2K1 300EX
09-29-2002, 11:08 AM
I was just curious what the difference between them was...I am not planning on getting one due to the hard starting problems. I have seen some stock boxes on ebay with the rev. limiter removed and was just curious about the differences. thanks for the info guys.

RED121572
09-29-2002, 11:16 AM
Ive got an XR250 CDI I bought from Honda for about $80 bucks. I had it in my bike for about six months. I didnt experience any problems with it. I feel that box acts like the stock CDI for the exception of having an extra 1000 RPMs. I took mine out a few weeks ago and replaced it with the stocker. With the mods that I have on my bike, which are relatively mild, I wasnt able to make use out of the extra RPMs. My bike is alot happier with the stock CDI in place

....just my 2 cts on my experience with the box. :)

Buzzsaw
09-29-2002, 11:19 AM
I've got one on my 316 that i sent to sparks to have moded and a this point I had no problems with starting. But I still have one thats not mod just in case.