PDA

View Full Version : Questions for Cannondale Owners:

spincr4hire
09-27-2002, 12:46 PM
Since Honda let us Red Riders down again, I was thinking about making the switch. What problems have you had with your C-dale, and how is the maintenance on it? My EX is easy to work on, and I love the way it handles on the trails (I mostly trail ride), but I wish it had more power. Is it comparable to the EX as far as handling? I've read all the BS in Dirtwheels and ATV Action, but they seem to contradict themselves, and who knows if they are saying crap because its true or because that particular model advertised more in the mag. Thanks for the info!:)

Guy400
09-27-2002, 03:08 PM
Go to The Quadshop's Cannondale Demo day and see for yourself. Take one for a spin and draw your own conclusions.

Maintenance is a little more involved on a Dale but that's relative. You've got two fluids to drain and fill at regular intervals so that's double your work there but the benefit is that instead of having one oil to do double the work on a conventional ATV powerplant you've got 2 fluids only doing half the work. You've got a fuel filter that needs to be replaced every 5 hours but you've got EFI where all your riding partners still have carbs. You've also got to drop the motor to adjust valves and replace the spark plug but valve adjustments don't need to be done that often and as long as you follow the proper start-up procedure on the Dale the plug shouldn't be a problem either.

What I'm getting at is that maintenance is a little more involved on a Dale than your 400EX but you've got a high-tech 4-stroke with EFI instead of an air-cooled, low-tech engine with a carb.

Pappy
09-27-2002, 04:49 PM
yeah what he said;)

wyndzer
09-27-2002, 09:18 PM
I change my fluids and fuel filter as suggested and have not had one problem yet.

09-27-2002, 10:54 PM
You do not have to drop the engine to replace the plug. You take off the rear plastic and remove the gas tank(it has quick releases),and remove one of the shock mounts. Then you can get to the plug. I don't think maintenence has been a problem at all, but I take care of what ever I have real well, so it is not a big deal. In the power department the Cannondale will blow the EX away. The Cannodale is a different experience. It has to be ridden hard to truly appriceate. It does not like to be short shifted or lugged, and it is not good for leisure trail rides. It behaves a lot like a two-stroke. I think the Cannondale will reward you if you ride hard and agressive, but if you don't you EX might be a better choice. If you have the chance go ride one and check it out.....peace

Pappy
09-28-2002, 07:34 AM
well after seeing how wyndzers held up to him riding it....i think it will last me a life time:rolleyes: i cant wait....very excited here...lol

wyndzer
09-28-2002, 08:29 AM
Kenny, if you're going to own a dale then do us a favor and spell it right. Together now C-A-N-N-I-B-A-L. Thanks! You got some good places we can ride when I come up to MD other than the Landing?

Pappy
09-28-2002, 09:21 AM
not close to where your in laws are...but i hear seaford speedway is an ok track. let me know when you are comin up...we could hit some places to ride and get some grub in ocean city. hehe....i spelled it right..lmao:D

spincr4hire
09-30-2002, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by GuyLT250R
"Go to The Quadshop's Cannondale Demo day and see for yourself. Take one for a spin and draw your own conclusions."

yeah, I plan on doing just that.

lil400exman
09-30-2002, 10:51 AM
kenny how much are you selling your r for?:huh you go through more quads than madonna goes through guys..... lol and al those quads you had were and are trick it makes me sik sometimes........

Pappy
09-30-2002, 10:56 AM
yeah.....me and madonna have some issue's....lmao i think i should hook up with her.....she has cha-ching and i have ba-blinge:eek: she could sing while i bling:eek: oh my....someone has to do the insane stuff around here....might as well be me:rolleyes:

the r is being traded to the quadshop unless it sells before thursday. after then...you may inquire there for pricing and availabilty:p

JabberJaw
09-30-2002, 10:59 AM
It's my understanding that Cannondale is shipping a new kit to convert the 440 into a 650. I have also heard rumors that Honda will also release a Fuel Injected 650. Has anyone else got the same news?

JabberJaw
09-30-2002, 02:10 PM
Someone is keeping secrets!!!!!!!

Castor-426ex
09-30-2002, 02:17 PM
weve heard rumors jabber i just want someone to deliver

JabberJaw
09-30-2002, 04:44 PM
I see..... I am used to looking like an idiot!

Sparky416ex
09-30-2002, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by justfine
You do not have to drop the engine to replace the plug. You take off the rear plastic and remove the gas tank(it has quick releases),and remove one of the shock mounts. Then you can get to the plug. I don't think maintenence has been a problem at all, but I take care of what ever I have real well, so it is not a big deal. In the power department the Cannondale will blow the EX away. The Cannodale is a different experience. It has to be ridden hard to truly appriceate. It does not like to be short shifted or lugged, and it is not good for leisure trail rides. It behaves a lot like a two-stroke. I think the Cannondale will reward you if you ride hard and agressive, but if you don't you EX might be a better choice. If you have the chance go ride one and check it out.....peace

YEah thats what i needed to know...sometimes i just like to sit back and relax maybe ride smooth for ahile...but i love to fly too so i dunno