PDA

View Full Version : A-arm Removal From Spindal Help

416exriden
01-31-2007, 04:02 PM
well i'm planig on repainting my a-arms and i can't get them off the spindal i got the nut with the cotter pin off now i can't get it to come off. is ther any tricks or special tools i need to do this thanx?:mad:

400eXr1d3rZ
01-31-2007, 04:22 PM
I have the same problem you do, except i'm replacing them. Unbolt them from the spindel, take the tie-rod boot off (on the spindle side) then hit the bottom a-arm with a hammer, while your sorta making it "travel" (moving the arms up and down) I only got one off, my friend is coming with a spindle/boot/fork thing.

416exriden
01-31-2007, 04:43 PM
ya well i got all my a-arms are off b/c i'm replacing the bushing as well all just keep trying i guess or might try to find one of those fork thing i think i no wut ur talking about it go's on the end of a air hammer i think anyway thanx for the info.:D

kalebarellano
01-31-2007, 06:23 PM
I am tearing my whole bike down, for painting, and engine rebuild. I came across this problem yesterday, but I just gave up and took upper and lower a-arms off with the spindles. I am gonna mess with them again tonight.

j450rking
01-31-2007, 10:09 PM
what you guys are talking about is a pickle fork and yes that would work

pdracer440
02-01-2007, 02:28 AM
Just did this last week, Pickle Fork and a small sledge hammer. If that doesn't work, you got issues.

400eXr1d3rZ
02-01-2007, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by pdracer440
Just did this last week, Pickle Fork and a small sledge hammer. If that doesn't work, you got issues.

In your sig it says you have a +6 front, i'm assuming that's a-arms, never heard of +6 before, got any pics of that?

416exriden
02-01-2007, 06:43 PM
Ya I just got them off I was going to try the pickle fork but my dad said it could rip the rubber boot so I took a hammer and just hit around the hole where the ball joint go's threw and all of them popped right off.

400eXr1d3rZ
02-01-2007, 08:17 PM
I just used a pickle for about 10 minutes ago, and oh my god they came out SO damn easy!

BranMan
02-01-2007, 08:49 PM
i had this problem awhile back... i tryed usin a pickle fork and that just ripped my boot all up... so some1 on here gave me the idea... ill try to explain this.... thread both nuts on upside down... take a piece of pipe/tubing and put in between both nuts.. then take ur wrench and loosen 1 of the nuts which will push the opposite up and it should pop right out... sry if that doesnt sound right... let me no if u dont understand and i will draw a pic... hope it work for ya

kilabeez0
02-03-2007, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by BranMan
i had this problem awhile back... i tryed usin a pickle fork and that just ripped my boot all up... so some1 on here gave me the idea... ill try to explain this.... thread both nuts on upside down... take a piece of pipe/tubing and put in between both nuts.. then take ur wrench and loosen 1 of the nuts which will push the opposite up and it should pop right out... sry if that doesnt sound right... let me no if u dont understand and i will draw a pic... hope it work for ya

that sounds like a good idea, too bad i didn't read that 2 days ago:mad: