PDA

View Full Version : Valve guides

quadfamily
01-31-2007, 04:02 PM
Has anyone here changed their own valve guides? I'm wondering if I really have to take it to the machine shop to have it done.

250X_project
02-02-2007, 04:20 PM
I'd say go for it. If it works you get the satisfaction and no bill from the mahcine shop. If not than a new head off eBay (IF needed) isn't bad priced. I would try it myself. Just heat if up on a hot plate (leave the torch alone!!), tap them out, and take the new ones out of the fridge and slap them in.

I'd love to hear about it, if you do try.

honda250xrider
02-02-2007, 04:38 PM
if you can find a local guy i would feel safer just having them do it, I know my local guy i've been going to for years only charges around 40 bucks for that, to me its just the safer side that i know it was done right and do not have to worry.

quadfamily
02-02-2007, 05:48 PM
I talked to my buddy at the honda dealer today. He's the head mechanic there and he said just have it done at the machine shop because you need a valve job anyway. Plus after the guide is installed it has to be reamed by the machine shop. They take theirs to the machine shop. The tools to remove and install the guides are pretty expensive too.

250X_project
02-04-2007, 05:01 AM
Originally posted by quadfamily
The tools to remove and install the guides are pretty expensive too.

Really? I've never looked into it. About how much for the tools to do this, including the reamer? We've got a junk 350X head. Maybe I will try it with that. Nothing to loose. ;)

quadfamily
02-04-2007, 06:52 AM
I didn't get actual prices, I was just told that they are expensive. The point is that it isn't even worth it for the dealer to do it, they just send it to the machine shop.

dork
02-06-2007, 09:36 AM
i put exhaust guides in my head. its not hard to do, but you do need the right tools. heat the head in the oven to about 250-275 F, then hammer them out. then pop the new ones out of the freezer while the head is hot and drive them in. then when it cools ream the guides from the chamber side. its all in the manual. the biggest problem is after installing and reaming the guides, you need to dress the valve seats because 9 times out of 10 the valve won't seat fully. i think i got the remover/installer and reamer for around $50, but the tools to cut the seat can get pricy fast.

250X_project
02-06-2007, 01:03 PM
Yes the seat tools are expensive and easily breakable on top of that. I miss having access to all of that, as I did at school, along with hones and a boring machine.