PDA

View Full Version : I can ride again!!!!!!!!

mephyst
01-31-2007, 03:36 PM
So anyways, as some of you know I suffered a pretty severe injury in Glamis over Thanksgiving weekend. The day after Thanksgiving, (Friday the 21st) I ate it pretty hard just cruising in 3rd gear over some semi-large whoops. Whoops are my specialty, but it was extremely dusty and I was trying to stay on the guys *** infront of me so that I could still see. Well, In doing so I wasn't exactly behind him so he had a clearer view and I was to the back left of him in more of a stagard position. Nonetheless, I caught a wierd bounce in the whoops, bounced my chest on my handlebars, flew over the bars as my quad's *** came up, broke my back, and my quad landed and bounced right off of me. I broke several ribs, my t-7 vertebrae was 2/3 crushed with no spinal damage. As I laid there in pain spitting out blood and sand because I was biting my cheaks so hard to take away the pain from my back I ended up riding back to camp about 10minutes after it happened. I was with one other person... and it was the longest half-mile I have ever ridden in my life.

The ambulance showed up 5minutes later and hauled me out making a 35minute drive take 1 hour and 30mins because they had to go slow over the 2 mile dirt road out of there...

Today, I am walking fine, started going to the gym again a couple weeks ago and am very fortunate to be walking. I went in 2 hours ago for my final checkup and I am now released!!! It has been almost 10 weeks (Friday) and he said that I can ride already, but to take it easy and get the feel for it again!! I know this doesn't seem like a long time for this kind of injury, but I have been working hard on healing. Doing a whole lot of nothing and physical therapy and it has been total hell!!! So I will be back to the dunes President's Day weekend, and am going to ride my cr250 at the track on Sunday! I can't wait!!!

So thank you guys, some of you gave me some support after it happened. :)

-Michael

...and I'm 18 years old if you were curious...

Mc. Muffin
01-31-2007, 03:40 PM
Congratulations!
Be safe

mephyst
01-31-2007, 03:56 PM
Thank you! :)

elite ATV1
01-31-2007, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Mc. Muffin
Congratulations!
Be safe

x2

troyleepred719
01-31-2007, 07:53 PM
u got lucky man, last spring i took a hard hit.

i was going through a tunnel, under a bridge down on our local ride spot, and at the end, there is a drop off with a cement wall on the other side. under the tunnel we use, flow a creek. well it had been rainging, and we were trying to get back before the storm, we were taking it easy, but the current pushed m eand my bike off the edge into the wall, i ended up with a concusion, and a broken vertebrae. three months later, i was going to a local mud bog we have, in a truck with on eof my friends, itw as storming, and the tire blew out, we went onver the guard rail and into a gorge. after the fd cleared us, i went to the hospital, finding out i had cracked my chest bone, 3 vertabra in my back were shattered, and had a severe concusion. 2 years later, im just getting back to riding with pins and stuf in my back, and cant do any hard work. id rather kill myself riding that have to live in a wheel chair.

mephyst
02-01-2007, 03:00 AM
Jesus man, you are pretty unlucky..... that's crazy. Yeah, I am lucky to have no nerve damage. :p

firefighterjosh
02-01-2007, 03:37 AM
Congrats on being back.

Vindex Injuriae
02-01-2007, 05:50 AM
Good luck - keep it rubber side down.... :)

suzukigirl
02-01-2007, 11:37 AM
have fun riding:D ..and be safe

mephyst
02-01-2007, 12:41 PM
Thanks everyone... after I go to Supercross in Anaheim 3 on Saturday night I am off to the track the next morning before the Superbowl!!! :) Maybe I'll get some pics of my first ride back...

suzukigirl
02-01-2007, 12:49 PM
definitaly get pics:)