PDA

View Full Version : taller tires

tater_kamik
01-31-2007, 03:36 PM
i have been looking at new tires that are taller than my current mx setup, such as the holeshot hd, xct, kenda knarly and klaw. i really want a wide aggressive tire that hooks up very well but will take some pretty hard abuse, and tall. im thinking of running an 23" front and an 22" rear for ground clearance and i am leaning towards the klaws. i have never had a tire that tall though and am worried about clearance when the shocks are fully compressed as well as an increase in how tippy it is. yall have any experience with the taller tires and how much of an advantage/ disadvantage they have say over an 21" 20" setup?

SwainRacing
01-31-2007, 04:07 PM
I Have run the Razor 2's in the 23 and 22 inch and love them. No problems with them hitting any thing and they hook up great! I run the GNCC and 6 Hour races with them. I also practice at a MX track and they work good. It dose set you up a little higher. I am not sure what ATV you are looking to run these on, but you will have to do a little gearing change. I run this set up on a 450r and run a 13 tooth on the front and a stock 38 on the rear.

ZSNOW
01-31-2007, 04:26 PM
u don't have to re gear but if u want the balls u had u will want to...i just regeared my z and i have had 22's for 6 months...u don't have and clearence problems on a z or ex or 250ex or 300ex will not have any clearence problems with the big tires.they're not very tippy just like normal if the tires are wide

tater_kamik
01-31-2007, 06:22 PM
i have an raptor 660 with an +4 axle and +2 a arms. how are the kendas, razrs and holeshots for grip and toughness? i have always had holeshots (mxr and mxr4 currently) and i have always liked them but i have been hearing a lot of good things about kenda. ill re-gear it again after i throw them on there to see how much i feel i am off.

ZSNOW
01-31-2007, 06:49 PM
if u want long lasting awsome handling tires get 23 razr fronts and 22 razr rearsand evenw ith extended axle and a arms it should handle just fine...ur gonna have ALOT less responsivness(sp) with big fronts tho

northwest Texas
01-31-2007, 08:33 PM
Pic below is of what I'm running. Now I have yet to get a chance to ride with the new Razr 2's up front but I love the rear. They really hook up on the sandy trails to rocky trails which can change in a matter of feet.

It does ride a little different but the difference is minimal and I can argue both sides (20" or 22")

I know you probably want to save money but you'll just have to ride it and try it to see if you like it.

Almost forgot, the rear's are Maxxis All Trak's. Have a set on my 4wd too and I'm just as impressed (maybe more so) on it.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e230/kyle_nwtx/Honda%20400EX/P1050003.jpg

tater_kamik
02-02-2007, 07:05 PM
i think i have decided on the Kenda Klaw XC 23x7x10 for the front mounted on itp 190's, and Kenda Klaw XC 22x11x9 on itp 190's for the rear. im not too worried about price, im not planning on buying any more for a bit, i just want to make the best informed decision possible! i just emailed c&d for pricing but rocky mountain has them for 400 total shipped so... happy bday to me! just a little early maybe lol

tater_kamik
02-02-2007, 07:12 PM
oh, the maxxis razr2 front and rear package come in at just a bit over 500 shipped, and the regular razr's come in at 450 i believe. the razr2's look very aggressive but from reading on pretty much everything google came up with and on here, all of the 6 ply sport tires from both companies (maxxis and kenda) are great, but with the ability to reverse the rear on the klaws.... that and 100 less and they won one of the atv magazine shootouts (not like i really feel thats a huge deciding factor) has me getting mouse happy to order the kendas!

ZSNOW
02-02-2007, 07:13 PM
are u riding mud?if so tell us how the klaws go in the mud...thats what i wanna run on my Z but don't want to till i know how good they go in mud

tater_kamik
02-02-2007, 07:38 PM
i was only riding on tracks, but i want to start mixing up my riding again! so i go through pretty much anything i see when im out, as long as i dont think i will flood her or break her, ill be tearing it up. it will probably be about a month before i can ride, i am still not at home and i have a motor rebuild to do:ermm:

ZSNOW
02-03-2007, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by tater_kamik
i was only riding on tracks, but i want to start mixing up my riding again! so i go through pretty much anything i see when im out, as long as i dont think i will flood her or break her, ill be tearing it up. it will probably be about a month before i can ride, i am still not at home and i have a motor rebuild to do:ermm:

thats sucks..i just got through a rebuild so thats the only i have to do till next winter!!!:D yah if you go through anything you see watch out klaws don't bite so good in really really wet mud from wat i've heard...but i can't wait to see what u have to say about em!
Z

tater_kamik
02-03-2007, 11:08 AM
i will defintely throw up a little review after i get a little time on them, im about to go ahead and order them now actually from rocky mountain. i cannot wait! i can see from the tread pattern that they may not be that great in the very sloppy stuff, but i would have to say the majrity of my riding is relatively dry, and not incredibly muddy so i will take that trade off. worst comes to worse ill just sell them and buy somehing else!

ZSNOW
02-04-2007, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by tater_kamik
i will defintely throw up a little review after i get a little time on them, im about to go ahead and order them now actually from rocky mountain. i cannot wait! i can see from the tread pattern that they may not be that great in the very sloppy stuff, but i would have to say the majrity of my riding is relatively dry, and not incredibly muddy so i will take that trade off. worst comes to worse ill just sell them and buy somehing else!

lucky!i got like 3/4's tread left so i wil have razrs for a while longer
yah around here its all rocks and mud...most people have 4x4's but i can't stand em not fast enough...kinda like driving a tank:D