PDA

View Full Version : Someone School Me on ATC250r's

yernkie
01-31-2007, 12:20 PM
Just like the subject says. I've been thinking about picking up an old 3wheeler and I was wondering what were the differences between the years of ATC250r's. What should I look for or avoid?

250r4life
01-31-2007, 12:31 PM
in 85 they became watercooled and are much better... not too much difference after 85

Scott-300ex
01-31-2007, 12:36 PM
They have 3 wheels.

I believe its the same engine as the 86 trx.

Look for frame cracks and ride it.

GPracer2500
01-31-2007, 01:21 PM
Get an 85 or 86. Both have the same engine as the 86 (and 87?) TRX250R. The 85 has a PE carb (round slide) vs. the PJ found on 86+. They're both 34mm though. I'm not aware of any other engine differences 85 to 86.

AFAIK, the old air-coolers can still be powerful but the suspension on the water coolers is leaps ahead.

An 86 is a little more desireable than an 85. The carb isn't that big a deal--used PJs, PWKs, and PWK A/Ss aren't that much. What's a bigger deal to me is that the 86 ATC and TRX share more suspension components. The 86 ATC has the same rear suspension as the TRX. The 85 is a little different here and there. The bearing carrier, axle, rear brake settup, rear sprocket, one of the linkage bolts/bushings, and maybe something I'm forgetting are different 85 to 86-89. Some of the 85 stuff is harder to come by. All the goodies are still out there for the 85 but the 86-89 parts are more common.

I just completely rebuilt the rear end on my 85 and it would have been easier on an 86. But I wouldn't pass up a good deal on an 85.

Mine's in good shape--a little longer and wider than stock with a stock bore tune. It's an awsome dune ride which is what I use mine for exclusively. With the right paddles (not the SandSharks pictured!) I can compete with many 450s in the drags.

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/8595/pc140002resizeemailfc5.jpg

GPracer2500
01-31-2007, 01:29 PM
I just noticed you've got a 400EX. I had a 400EX (416 10.8:1 HC) and my ATC would spank it in the dunes. The ATC is a little tougher to ride--requires lots more body english and weight transfer. But the ATC is more fun for me. It's faster and it feels good to get it done on a classic machine. :cool:

Most of me time on 3 and 4 wheels is in the sand so I couldn't compare them elsewere.

250r4life
01-31-2007, 01:46 PM
i think i have seen you down at gordons well... you been around on that 3 wheeler this season?

yernkie
01-31-2007, 01:54 PM
All,

thanks for the info.

GPRacer2500,

That right there is why I am looking for one. It would pretty much be strictly for the dunes. Your's looks great!

deathman53
01-31-2007, 02:15 PM
I ride trikes and love them. The 86 atc250r is more desireable, due to it handles better in high speed. I never rode in the dunes, trails and mx. I use mostly trx perfromance parts and alot of them swap over, besides very obvouis differences. Trikes are either, you love them or you hate them. Alot more body english is required with them, you generaly can go faster on a quad, but the trike is more fun.

If you do get a 85 atc250r, everything from a 86/87 trx250r and 86 atc250r will swap over for the rear end. You definety need to check the frame for cracks, foot peg area, main tube going down from the neck, main tube where the subframe and rear shock mount join, and the engine cradle. Also check the swingarm for cracks(this is very common with trx's). If/when you go to look at them, ask the person to show you the bike with the platics and tank off, if he won't, leave. Also, have him take off the engine skid plate. Plastics and skid plates hide the area's where the frames tend to crack.

A few more things of caution, start the motor, make sure it is dead cold(worn kicker gears can slip with a cold engine), look to see if the case guard or mounts are there and damage from a jumped chain, put the bike up on the grab bar, look for anything that doesn;t look right, cracks in the engine case and stripped drain plug, move the forks up and down to check for loose/worn stem bearings, fork seals, and the mounts for the grab bar(if you flip over doing a wheelie, it will bend the grab bar and frame/frame mounts). I and 2 others have broke off/bent the grab bar mounts, another bent the whole sub-frame, by wheelie over to the grab bar. The foot peg bolts tend to strip out on the 85 models, and 86, they bend then break clean, under alot of jumping the peg plates bend also.

Be carefull, atc's have been used for hacking/stealing the motor from for many years and now they are starting to be worth something. The seller may try to hide stuff. Ask him when the last top end was done, when the last whole motor rebuild was done, rod play and the cluth basket(as they groove easy). Pretty much, look up the stuff to look for with buying a used trx250r and apply all the motor/suspension stuff. One last thing, swingarm bolts tend to seize if not removed and lubed on a regular basis, ask him when this was last done. Trust me, they aren't fun to remove, I removed 3 and they were nightmares.

I learned this from buying a trx250r, that the seller hid that it needed work and expeirence from my own bike(I am on my 3rd frame, 3rd swinger, 2nd forks, and many replacements of bearings). I tear down mine every year and replace all bearings. I mostly ride mx and its pretty hard on the bikes(especailly frame), hense why I am having a far far stronger custom frame made for me. Some of the things may not be a issue with the bike you are gonna look at or ever notice that will happen to your bike. You will want to keep up on the swingarm and axle bearings often, when those bearings are worn, they ride like complete ###.

GPracer2500
01-31-2007, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by 250r4life
i think i have seen you down at gordons well... you been around on that 3 wheeler this season?
Nah, wasn't me. I've been on 4 weekend trips and 1 day trip this season (not counting a Coral Pink trip last July) but none have been to Gordons Well. We where trying to get a trip going for Dumont (I've never been) next weekend but it fell through. I'm hoping for two more trips this year. I'm talking to a bud about doing a mid-week trip in two weeks or so. Fresh sand maybe.

We should find a way to hook up and ride one of these days.

About how I wound up with an ATCs as duner: I sold my 400EX because it just wasn't getting it done in the sand anymore. About the time I was coming to that realization I also started riding a CR250 out there. I got to where I was comfortable with only having the CR to ride for a while and sold the EX. The idea was to buy a YFZ to replace the EX. Trouble was I was struggling with the 5x10 enclosed trailer I had--way too small. So I upgraded to a 7x14 enclosed trailer. That didn't leave enough $$ for the YFZ. But it did leave enough for an ATC. Always wanted one and figured now is the time.

I like the ATC (and CR) so much that the YFZ is kinda on the back burner at the moment. I can't see getting rid of the ATC anytime soon and a CR, ATC, and YFZ is a lot to be taking on every trip. Plus the money issue.

I think I'll have a YFZ eventually, but the ATC is treating me just fine for now. :D

deathman53
01-31-2007, 02:36 PM
I like that 350x headlight on it and the white frame constrast to red plastics. My next one, I am gonna have black plastics and red frame..

250r4life
01-31-2007, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
Nah, wasn't me. I've been on 4 weekend trips and 1 day trip this season (not counting a Coral Pink trip last July) but none have been to Gordons Well. We where trying to get a trip going for Dumont (I've never been) next weekend but it fell through. I'm hoping for two more trips this year. I'm talking to a bud about doing a mid-week trip in two weeks or so. Fresh sand maybe.

We should find a way to hook up and ride one of these days.

huh... i saw a nice 250r with the 350 headlight a couple weeks ago... thought it was you.. guess not...

you got any trips planned to gordons well?

i'm down to meet up and ride...

GPracer2500
01-31-2007, 03:40 PM
huh... i saw a nice 250r with the 350 headlight a couple weeks ago... thought it was you.. guess not...

you got any trips planned to gordons well?

i'm down to meet up and ride...

That's cool. Nothing planned but I'll let you know next time I go.

250r4life
01-31-2007, 03:47 PM
i'll be down over presidents day...

i tend to go about every other week... yah let me know when youre going to be down there...

how old are you GP?

GPracer2500
01-31-2007, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by deathman53
I like that 350x headlight on it and the white frame constrast to red plastics. My next one, I am gonna have black plastics and red frame..

Thanks.

Here's what my ATC buying experience was like:

I shopped around for a month or so. I looked at one air cooler and a couple 85/86s. I'd take an air cooler if it was cheap enough as a back-up, back-up bike and just to play around with. But the 84 I looked at couldn't fill the role of an 85/86.

I almost bought a very clean, completely stock 86'. It was worth $1500 to me but he wouldn't move off of $1800. One 86 I looked at was a rat-trap mess. I couldn't believe the guy. His add says super clean and well maintained and all this other stuff. The swingarm bolt was BROKEN clean off where the bolt threads on. Everything was loose and a sloppy mess. It was so dirty, who knows how many things where wrong. It did have some nice engine parts, but the chassis was a wreck. Obviously I passed. At about 1/3 what he was asking it would make a good parts bike.

After I saw a few and talked some prices I had a handle on what I was really looking for. What I found was an 85 ATC250R, Durablue +4 axle, +2 swinger, 38mm PJ, and some other stuff in pretty good shape. Someone along the way cared about it--bolts weren't stripped, nothing overtorqued. It was settup well--just a bit neglected recently. It did have some issues but they were things I new I could fix. I talked him down to $1100, brought it home and got to work. I've put another $6-700 in it and I'm done for now.

Just did new chain/sprockets, delrin slider, and twin row bearing carrier.
http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i169444_P1310098.JPG

GPracer2500
01-31-2007, 03:57 PM
i'll be down over presidents day...

i tend to go about every other week... yah let me know when youre going to be down there...

how old are you GP?

Every other week! Sweet.

I'm 29. You?

250r4life
01-31-2007, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
Every other week! Sweet.

I'm 29. You?

yah, about every other week... that is how i have been the last couple of years, although for some reason this year ive been going in clumps...

i started out the season going 3 weekends in a row (the last two in oct and the 1st in Nov), and then went back for thanksgiving... i was going to go mid dec, but ended up getting really sick the day i was going to go... i went down wed morning and stayed till new years (gotta love the 5 day trips), and then have been back the past 3 weekends...

im coming up on 25... most of my buddies that i ride with are around your age though... im one on the younger ones in our group... a lot of my buddies are married with kids...