PDA

View Full Version : Calling GPRacer2500 or any other engine gurus

ryanh250ex
01-31-2007, 12:12 PM
Ok, i'm doing a project w/ turbocharging. Theres no forged rods available. I'm a little nervous about the OEM honda rod holding up to the additional cylinder pressure.

What I was going to do since i'm planning on rebuilding the top end anyways, is get a new OEM rod. However, is there any treatement out there that would increase it's strength?

I'm considering sending it out for Cryogenic freezing and Mikroniting.

Old Head
01-31-2007, 02:02 PM
Hot rods make hd rods and trinity might even have one instead of getting the oem one.

ryanh250ex
01-31-2007, 02:44 PM
I'm probably just going to end up getting a billet one made.

250X_project
02-02-2007, 03:05 PM
Please don't get offended, but why do this to a 250EX? It is a semi-auto and shaft driven. It is pretty much a recon with different plastics. To each his own. It just seems as a poor investment to me.

Then again, many would ask why do what I did to a 250X/300EX, or even a 400EX now a days, instead of buying a 450....:rolleyes:

ryanh250ex
02-04-2007, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by 250X_project
Please don't get offended, but why do this to a 250EX? It is a semi-auto and shaft driven. It is pretty much a recon with different plastics. To each his own. It just seems as a poor investment to me.

Then again, many would ask why do what I did to a 250X/300EX, or even a 400EX now a days, instead of buying a 450....:rolleyes:

You answered your own question.

It's basically because the 250 needs a rebuild and it doesn't make sense to spend all the money to rebuild it on top of what i've already spent on it in the last 5 years only to sell it for something bigger. I'm away from my quad for most of the year, so to spend 4-6 grand on a clean 400/450, etc does not make financial sense.

250X_project
02-04-2007, 07:10 PM
Well, it's all in how happy you are. I personally have never had much fun at all with a semi-auto.

wilkin250r
02-04-2007, 08:44 PM
I'm not too big on treatments. Sure, they help, but most of them add a whopping 2% increase in strength or reliability. Whoopee. If they were really significantly beneficial, they would have those treatments from the factory.

Honda is well-known for the strength of their OEM cranks. Personally, I would suggest a new OEM crank over a rebuilt cranks with a rod that has been cryo-treated. Plus, I doubt you'll find a stronger aftermarket rod for the 250EX, there just isn't a market for them. The aftermarket is more focused on the larger motors.

ryanh250ex
02-04-2007, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
I'm not too big on treatments. Sure, they help, but most of them add a whopping 2% increase in strength or reliability. Whoopee. If they were really significantly beneficial, they would have those treatments from the factory.

Honda is well-known for the strength of their OEM cranks. Personally, I would suggest a new OEM crank over a rebuilt cranks with a rod that has been cryo-treated. Plus, I doubt you'll find a stronger aftermarket rod for the 250EX, there just isn't a market for them. The aftermarket is more focused on the larger motors.

I'm looking into replacing the rod alone. I was hoping the OEM crank can hold up.

I was looking into having a custom one made to replicate the OEM design or having shorted ever so slightly to keep the compression low.