PDA

View Full Version : Race prepping your body

TarheelRedRider
01-31-2007, 10:10 AM
I just wanted to know what all kind of work outs and trainning some of you guys do to keep yourselves in shape to race. When I was a kid I use to race mx but the sport was no where near as big as it is now. I started ridding quads when I was 16 but never had time to race but Im now 31 and have thought about giving it a try but I know I need to get back into shape. You guys that can run hard around a track on a quad all day I have to say my hats off to you. So what all kind of things do you guys do to get into shape and prepare you bodies for long day or weekend quad racing?

400exrider707
01-31-2007, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by TarheelRedRider
I just wanted to know what all kind of work outs and trainning some of you guys do to keep yourselves in shape to race. When I was a kid I use to race mx but it was no where near as big as it is now. I started ridding quads when I was 16 but never had time to race but Im now 31 and have thought about giving it a try but I know I need to get back into shape. You guys that can run hard around a track on a quad all day I have to say my hats off to you. So what all kind of things do you guys do to get into shape and prepare you bodies for long day or weekend quad racing?

Eating correctly, and staying rested are two very important ones. Race day you will want to drink a lot of water, probably more than you think you should and eat one banana. No smoking, drinking and try not to party hard.

I think the best way to practice and stay in shape is to just go ride. Getting used to you quad and being comfortable on it is the only way to get better on it. It is also the only real way to work the specific muscles that you use on it.

01-31-2007, 10:35 AM
The above advice is good plus....

Where I live there is no place to ride without traveling at least 1 hour to get there. I ride like once or twice a month not counting races. I ride my bicycle about 10 miles, 5 nights a week. I also do as many sit ups and push ups I can every night. I'm 40 and in better shape than most teenagers.

SwainRacing
01-31-2007, 04:12 PM
First off I am 37 and in the last 2 years I just rode and raced. That is how I got in shape. I run the GNCC and 6 hours races IRONMAN. They realy get you in shape running them by your self.
This year I joined a gym back in Dec. I am there just about every day for 2 hours. Lifting and cardio. I have lost 15 lbs and feel great.

rlplive
01-31-2007, 04:28 PM
Ya I am 25 and I am going to start racing some Mhsc races this season. I have been tryin to eat right and have been riding an exercise bike here at my house. I want to ride my regular bike but we have had damn snow and ice so I can't. The snow and ice also makes it hard to ride my quad as well.

ss440ex
01-31-2007, 04:50 PM
I`am 43 hav`nt found a way yet!!

Should I stop??:)

desratt
01-31-2007, 06:05 PM
I am 31 race mx and desert. I also ironman everything includeing best in the desert.
I have the ability to ride for 2 hours everyday right from my house. nothing betters you for riding than riding. how ever I also do an hour workout 6 days a week. I don't use weights.. I usually run 2miles daily except saturday I run 3, do abs mon through fri.
upperbody mon wed fri. lowerbody tues and thursday.

upper body is pushup variations, armhaulers, pull up veriations and dips
lower body is lunges, squat jumps, side lunges.

and stretch alot

thats the basics of my physical training

trost66
01-31-2007, 11:17 PM
One main thing is to just relax and don't have a death grip on your quad when the gated drops. If you do you will pump out in about 2 laps know matter how great of shape your in

speedfreaksguy
02-01-2007, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by trost66
One main thing is to just relax and don't have a death grip on your quad when the gated drops. If you do you will pump out in about 2 laps know matter how great of shape your in

So true man. I could go out and practice 20 minute motos no problem, but when it came time to race my arms would get all pumped in 2 laps. I had to think about relaxing during my motos, and using my legs and knees to hold on.

I found that cardio stuff, treadmill and eliptical(my wifes) work better than pumping iron.

Desratt has is nailed though, RIDE. There is no work out that will get you in shape like going out and putting in laps.

Oh, and i'm 31 also.

mike nash
02-01-2007, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by trost66

I don't get arm pump anymore but my hands are numb for atleast the first two laps depending on the course.

I'm 38,walking running and diet are best atleast for me.As far as riding to get in shape I'm not that fortunate, Raceday is Rideday.No land in New York unless you own a farm.

7 speed
02-01-2007, 09:34 AM
What is some of your diets consisting of?

TarheelRedRider
02-01-2007, 09:41 AM
Thank you guys so much. This really helps and motivates me to get myself into shape so I can be competive. I have been told time and time again that Im a good rider and should be racing.

rlplive
02-01-2007, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by TarheelRedRider
Thank you guys so much. This really helps and motivates me to get myself into shape so I can be competive. I have been told time and time again that Im a good rider and should be racing.
I hear ya man, thats the same as me, it's time to start racing

SwainRacing
02-01-2007, 10:07 AM
Eat 3 meals a day with a light snack in between meals. Fruit is a good snack. Drink plenty of water and stay away from soda.

Breakfast: Oatmeal or any good cereal, eggs, Juice, milk, 12 grain bread or wheat, fruit

snack: Apple, orange, grape Fruit, banana etc.

Lunch: Salad with chicken light on the dressing, fruit for desert.
Chicken, turkey sandwich on wheat or grain bread.

Supper: Fish, chicken, turkey, pork, green veggies. Try and stay away from red meat. Some red meat every now and then. Any thing you use hamburger for switch it to Ground turkey. I like it just as much as hamburger.

Take half of your body weight and that is how many oz. of water you should drink a day.

This is just some of the things I have found out from doing some research and asking the same questions.

Oh Yea also dont eat till you are stuffed. Limit your portions of food.

JJs450r
02-02-2007, 05:17 PM
drinkin beer and eating mc donalds all week? haha jk i really dont work out much just eat a banana before everyrace helps out alot

TarheelRedRider
02-02-2007, 10:28 PM
Yeah I started doing that before I go hit a track or know Im going to be ridding for a while. I get bad leg cramps. Me being 6.3 dosnt help. I also mix a goodie powder in my hydo pack that seems to help too.

JJs450r
02-03-2007, 05:51 AM
stretching and bananas probably 2 of the best that and running and biking

Ryan22
02-03-2007, 07:52 PM
I'm still in rehabilitation from an acl tear, but im working on getting in the best shaped of my life by racing season. The first the I did was get rid of soft drinks. I havn't had one since new year.Now I work out at school and physical therapy and some at home. In the summer Im goin to start running about 2 miles a day 200 maybe 300 situps or so and do upper and lower body work outs and try to ride as much as i can. Im going to try the banana thing too you guys say it works good and my mom does it before she runs her marathon(my moms crazy) so maybe it'l work for me too

desratt
02-03-2007, 09:18 PM
i've recovered from many accidents
at glen helen I broke my femer and got blood clots in my lungs (10 days in loma linda)
in the snow riding I broke my color bone
landing a double on a local track I broke a bone in my hand
and broke a different bone in the same hand slaming it into my front brake lever.

2 titanium rods and 4 titanium bolts in my body hows that for aftermarket parts

every time I come back stronger..
also like to mention fmf has stuck with me as a pro rider through all of it