PDA

View Full Version : Anybody use Turf Tamers??

2k2GT
01-31-2007, 07:42 AM
I am ready to buy some new tires for my predator and I don't want to spend a lot of money. I ride on rock roads and pavement a lot to get to the actual spots where I ride. I don't want to buy some more Razr's or holeshots if they are going to get torn up really fast. I found some Turf Tamers for $42 each online. I know a lot of poeple used them years ago but I don't see them now. Anybody like them or dislike them? Any ideas?

300exOH
01-31-2007, 07:49 AM
I would think a predator would eat a set of tamers wayyyy too fast. Plus I believe they are only a 2 ply tire. You could get a set of kenda klaws (4 ply) or Kenda knarly's (6 ply) for just a few bucks more and they are both very durable tires.

400exrider707
01-31-2007, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by 2k2GT
I am ready to buy some new tires for my predator and I don't want to spend a lot of money. I ride on rock roads and pavement a lot to get to the actual spots where I ride. I don't want to buy some more Razr's or holeshots if they are going to get torn up really fast. I found some Turf Tamers for $42 each online. I know a lot of poeple used them years ago but I don't see them now. Anybody like them or dislike them? Any ideas?

Turfs are more or less an MX tire and are only good on dry surfaces, once they get wet forget about it. They wont last very long either. Awesome MX tire and I personally still have a couple sets of them, but for your apps, I would look at the Kenda line up.

2k2GT
01-31-2007, 07:52 AM
Thanks, know where I can find some for a good price?

northwest Texas
01-31-2007, 07:57 AM
I don't care about the 2ply rating. I'm using some Maxxis All Traks that are 2 ply and don't worry they're going to puncture.

Anyways, the Turf Tamers are a great hard terrain tire but you get in some wet stuff and they pack up and turn to slicks.

Now they did win a comparison amongst many other tires a few month back in Dirtwheels mag. Surprised me a little that the Turf Tamer won that. I thought it would do favorable but not win.

For the price they're hard to beat but ifyou're going to be riding in lots of wet terrain, a tire with more open areas will work better. I think you'll be fine with them so long as you don't go mudding all the time.

2k2GT
01-31-2007, 07:58 AM
What about the Kenda Dominator? I found those for $58 a peice.

300exOH
01-31-2007, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by 2k2GT
Thanks, know where I can find some for a good price?

rockymountainatv.com

Klaws are around $50/tire
Knarlys - around $45/tire depending on the size you need

400exrider707
01-31-2007, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by 300exOH
rockymountainatv.com

Klaws are around $50/tire
Knarlys - around $45/tire depending on the size you need

^^^^:macho

Flynbryan19
01-31-2007, 11:05 AM
Go with the Knarlys. Best bang for the buck, and they pretty much always have them in stock. ;)

2k2GT
01-31-2007, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Flynbryan19
Go with the Knarlys. Best bang for the buck, and they pretty much always have them in stock. ;)

That is what I'm looking at. They have them for $44.99 each. I will be ordering them soon. :macho

JIMFROMTEXCO
01-31-2007, 12:24 PM
I LIKE A SET OF GROOVED TAMERS!! if there grooved properly they hook great

400exrider707
01-31-2007, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by JIMFROMTEXCO
I LIKE A SET OF GROOVED TAMERS!! if there grooved properly they hook great

Both of my sets are grooved. I think that is just assumed when anyone is takling about tamers haha. A set of ungrooved tamers is more or less useless IMO. They only work on really dry surfaces though.

deathman53
01-31-2007, 06:53 PM
I like them for general mx riding, when its muddy, kenda knarly's. I use grooved radials on my quad and tamers, for mud, I use klaws fronts and knarly rears. I tried ltr stock tires, good for dry, hard mx, I'm told they are very good for mud too. I have front and rears now also. For my trikes, stock pattern front and tamers:dry, knarly:mud, I am gonna use ltr rears and see how I like them. I always have my tamers, but don't always use them due to mud. I would like to try a grooved set, I have 2 sets and a tire groover. I should be able to do it myself.

j450rking
02-03-2007, 06:55 PM
i have carlil turf tamers that i got from rockymountainatv.com and thay are 4 ply and i have never had a problum with them getting holes in them or anything and thay last a long time i have had them on my ex for over a year now and thay have barly worn at all and i ride on roads some time to i love them but thay arent grat for leafy conditions like when you ride through the woods and there is leafs all over the ground