PDA

View Full Version : B!tch won't crank

Nate Dogg #76
01-31-2007, 07:17 AM
Well, I pulled my 04 450R out of the shed after setting for about 3 cold weeks. Kick kick kick kick kick kick nothing. Put in a fresh plug, kick kick kick kick kick kick kick nothing. It was getting dark by this time so I decided to try again later. Any one have an idea what to check next? Thanks

nowukno
01-31-2007, 07:21 AM
I left mine setting for about 2-3 months last year in the winter and i had to put a blow dryer on the engine for about 1/2 an hour.

01-31-2007, 07:29 AM
Pull start it with antoher quad. Mine hates the cold also.

400exrider707
01-31-2007, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by Nate Dogg #76
Well, I pulled my 04 450R out of the shed after setting for about 3 cold weeks. Kick kick kick kick kick kick nothing. Put in a fresh plug, kick kick kick kick kick kick kick nothing. It was getting dark by this time so I decided to try again later. Any one have an idea what to check next? Thanks

Jetting

Even with mine jetted pretty darn good she jsut doesn't like to start after sitting outside. I pull it in the heated garage and let it warm up then it fires on the first kick. I dont get it!?

ghott
01-31-2007, 10:19 AM
Choke it?

Try blipping the throttle a few times before a kick. (Not during a kick)

Other than that...bump start it.

400exrider707
01-31-2007, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by ghott
Choke it?

Try blipping the throttle a few times before a kick. (Not during a kick)

Other than that...bump start it.

Thats exactly how I do it, no matter what if its sat for a week or so out in 10 degree weather, she needs to be pulled inside for a while to get going...:ermm:

mymastifftucker
01-31-2007, 03:22 PM
As cold as it is up there right now, you better cover it up with a blanket!! I'm in South Carolina and mine doesnt like to start when its cold. Its better if I do it the way ghott suggests, then it usually fires up. If I dont blip the throttle before turning it over, i could crank for an hour and get nowhere. Now go get that thing some boots and gloves before she gets frostbite!!

eastside 400
01-31-2007, 04:36 PM
take the filter off and spray some starting fluid or carb cleaner through the intake and try starting it, should start up then

400exrider707
01-31-2007, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by eastside 400
take the filter off and spray some starting fluid or carb cleaner through the intake and try starting it, should start up then

haha, our rancher was bone dead from sitting out in the cold, so I sprayed carb cleaner right into the carb, and pulled and pulled and pulled, and nothing. Put jumper cables on it from my truck. Probably turned over for 3-4 minutes straight before it fired!! It started right up and ran great after that.

GIXXER1KR
01-31-2007, 04:58 PM
I guess we are all having cold start issue!!!:confused: Except with the ER it kills the starter:confused: !!!!!!!!

yellow400ex0102
01-31-2007, 05:34 PM
try draining the carbureator by unscrewing the little screw at the bottom of the carb. with gas on off till all the gas stops flowing out then tighten the screw back up and put the gas on reserve and then try kicking it with the choke should fire right up

Sjorge450R
01-31-2007, 07:05 PM
NEW GAS!!! its been sitting that long, it prob needs some new fuel. the gas has probaly started to varnish and is about usless.

mymastifftucker
02-01-2007, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by GIXXER1KR
I guess we are all having cold start issue!!!:confused: Except with the ER it kills the starter:confused: !!!!!!!!
Mines an ER and I havent had any problems. Just takes a few minutes to start it.

04450rrider
02-01-2007, 03:53 PM
I have got a 04 and no matter how cold it is it starts on the 3rd kick. All i do is put the choke on and prime the throttle 3 times and it starts right up every time.

4ABURN
02-01-2007, 06:35 PM
I do this to alot!!!!! of bike mostly but quads to tip it on its side way over till fuel comes out the over flow ( primes it up nice after sitting long time ) this should do the trick for you. That is if you have spark.
:D

K-Dub
02-01-2007, 06:40 PM
What ever you do dont use starting fluid. Once a engine gets a taste of it they seem to get addicted to the stuff worse than a human to cocaine. This is just my opinion based on exsperence (sp) of useing being around starting fluid.

GIXXER1KR
02-01-2007, 08:15 PM
Im also having issues.I am working on my fuel screw adjustment and trying to get my pilot jetting right.I would also recommend an adjustable airscrew also!!!I am now using a battery tender to help maintain good cranking power.Ill let u know how I make out.Average temps been about 25-30 lately and the quad hates it...

derrickwade
02-01-2007, 08:36 PM
i havent tried this but ive heard it works, try pulling out the spark plug and holding a lighter under it till it gets hot then reinstall and and it should fire right up. this is if its cold out. also, it helps to have your piston at TDC before giving a good hard full kick.

GIXXER1KR
02-01-2007, 08:50 PM
Its electric start and u shouldnt have to light the spark plug 1st!!!:eek2:But i wouldnt doubt it work because once it fires for a few second it does start right up!!!LOL!!!U might be onto something.Maybe Honda should have made it like a diesel engine with a plug to plug in when its cold!!!LMFAO!!!