PDA

View Full Version : PEP True Piggybacks

moto440ex
01-31-2007, 12:27 AM
Hey has anybody rode a quad with or purchased a set of the new PEP True Piggybacks? If so, how did they feel?? I have Elka quadrates on my 450R right now and I absolutely hate them. Any input on these would be great.

quadgod440ex
01-31-2007, 03:48 PM
Wanna sell ur elkas?

moto440ex
01-31-2007, 06:13 PM
yea I sent you a pm.

MX450
02-04-2007, 07:57 PM
never rode them... but :eek2: for 2000 a set id just as soon get the fake piggy backs... cant go wrong with peps from what i hear

moto440ex
02-04-2007, 09:22 PM
Yea that is a good point. I've ridden on some PEP's and they were awesome and they were set up for a 210lb rider. I only weigh 170 and they still felt great. I heard that the real piggybacks are a pretty big improvement over the regular PEP's though.

NacsMXer
02-04-2007, 10:03 PM
From what I understand, functionally, the new piggyback PEP SV-1's work the same as any other 8 click PEP shock with the exception of a titanium spring option. I've never ridden Ti springs so I couldn't tell you how worth it they are.

I'm going to be ordering some new LT PEP's soon and to me, these new piggybacks aren't worth the 2K price tag. I don't like the teflon coated shock bodies either, the classic chrome shock bodies looks much more trick to me. I'm much more content paying $1080 for a 8 click compression adjustable shock that suits my needs just fine.

speeddemon105
02-04-2007, 10:05 PM
Wow....

This thread has me speechless. :rolleyes:

If you really think going from a rezzie thats clamped on the shock with a really short hose, to a true piggyback is going to have any effect on the shocks valving, then I have some oceanfront property to sell you.

WhiteYFZ
02-04-2007, 10:15 PM
^^ hees mostly right man...

they suposobly just run cooler.. there all pep's tho .:p

moto440ex
02-05-2007, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by speeddemon105
Wow....

If you really think going from a rezzie thats clamped on the shock with a really short hose, to a true piggyback is going to have any effect on the shocks valving, then I have some oceanfront property to sell you.
and I didn't say that I thought the true piggybacks would make a difference, all I said was I "heard". I know that piggybacks are just personal preference. I didn't get my piggybacks because they performed better but because I like the look of them better. I was just wondering if these new shocks were really worth $2000 which they probably aren't.

R3Concepts
02-05-2007, 09:52 AM
Wow....

Here are the piggy backs. Pretty sweet but 8 click compression only is more then most will ever need.

Colby@C&DRacing
02-05-2007, 12:04 PM
Wow....

Actually it could have a huge effect on the shocks performance depending on the design of the compression adjuster. if it is a new design it may perform a lot different than the old style 8 click adjuster

Colby@C&DRacing
02-05-2007, 12:07 PM
The other thing to take into account is that the other PEP shocks are make with works shock bodies and internal spring and ball bearing pistons. The new shock looks like a completely different setup that probably has a true shim stack valving. The two shocks with work a lot different

4strokemadman
02-05-2007, 01:14 PM
Wow....

This thread has me speechless.

It can have a huge effect on performance. With a hose you are limited to the small inside diamters of the hose fittings (which are actually smaller than you think). With the high shaft speeds ATV's see the biggest restriction is the inside diamter of the hose fittings. With a piggyback you can put a much bigger diamter drilled hole connecting the rezzie to the body. So valving will most likely be different especially high speed compression.

400exrider707
02-05-2007, 01:26 PM
The typically aluminum body that makes the piggyback part of the reservoir can also aid in cooling the shock oil as well, with more surface area and aluminums cooling properties it could certainly help.

speeddemon105
02-05-2007, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by 4strokemadman
It can have a huge effect on performance. With a hose you are limited to the small inside diamters of the hose fittings (which are actually smaller than you think). With the high shaft speeds ATV's see the biggest restriction is the inside diamter of the hose fittings. With a piggyback you can put a much bigger diamter drilled hole connecting the rezzie to the body. So valving will most likely be different especially high speed compression.
The smallest diameter will control the rate of flow. The ID of the hose only has to be as big as the largest that the compression adjuster will get. Any bigger and you won't get any faster flow, the compression adjuster will limit the flow.

As far as being a different style adjuster...All the compression adjuster does is control the flow of oil back and forth into the rezzie. With the 8 click, its a wheel with 8 different sized holes in it. Exactly how do you make a better wheel with 8 different sized holes?

And if they go to a shim style valving, that has nothing to do with the rezzie.

All I said is remote vs piggyback isn't changing the way the shock performs. People were acting like now that they went to piggybacks they're going to be the best things ever. Find out the facts behind the shocks before you start proclaiming them the best thing ever.

4strokemadman
02-06-2007, 07:41 AM
The smallest diameter will control the rate of flow. The ID of the hose only has to be as big as the largest that the compression adjuster will get. Any bigger and you won't get any faster flow, the compression adjuster will limit the flow.

You are correct. You are saying that the smallest diamter is the limiting factor, which is true. What I am saying is that this small diamter doesn't allow enough flow for high shaft speeds therefore with a piggyback you can get a higher flow rate. This will allow for a much better compression adjustment system where the limiting factor is the adjustment system, not the ID of the hose fittings.

Also the adjustment mechanism might not necessarily have eight holes...I personally have never designed a shock using this type of system. All the shocks I have designed use a tapered needle.

mxquadracer115
02-07-2007, 05:46 PM
im not but i think if you want the ability to adj comp and rebound you have to go with the piggybacks, not sure though

NacsMXer
02-07-2007, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by mxquadracer115
im not but i think if you want the ability to adj comp and rebound you have to go with the piggybacks, not sure though

Nah, you can get that already, its called the ARC option (adjustable rebound/compression). The rebound adjustment isn't really worth it if you're not serious about shock tuning and know what you are doing though. I'm going with the standard compression only LT shocks like i've run in the past so I can save some cash.

KingpinsEx
02-08-2007, 08:36 AM
Performace aside, since i dont know all that much about shocks anyway....I prefer having detached rezzies. For the tracks i ride on I would not want piggybacks sticking out and taking roost. With the hoses you can tuck them away in the frame out of harms way...Plus i don't see any sense in spending the extra money just to have the latest thing out there. Elka and all other companies sell their piggybacks for the same as their other shocks so i dont really see a benefit.

speeddemon105
02-08-2007, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by 4strokemadman
You are correct. You are saying that the smallest diamter is the limiting factor, which is true. What I am saying is that this small diamter doesn't allow enough flow for high shaft speeds therefore with a piggyback you can get a higher flow rate. This will allow for a much better compression adjustment system where the limiting factor is the adjustment system, not the ID of the hose fittings.

Also the adjustment mechanism might not necessarily have eight holes...I personally have never designed a shock using this type of system. All the shocks I have designed use a tapered needle.
Ok, you're missing the point. All the oil flowing from the shock into the rezzie flows through the compression adjuster. Its size determines the rate of flow, and therefore the compression. The compression adjuster WILL BE the smallest diameter that the oil flows through, making the diameter of the hose, piggyback whatever irrelevant.

As far as the tapered needle, thats the other type of adjustment, I didn't mention it cuz nobody else had (they mentioned 8 click adjusters). You either have a wheel with holes in it (Axis), or a tapered needle in a hole. They both perform the same job. They restrict the flow of the oil into the rezzie.

4strokemadman
02-09-2007, 08:36 AM
And your are missing my point.What if the biggest compression setting opening is not enough flow??? How do you get more flow?? In a remote rezzie you can't get more flow because you are limited to the id of the hose fittings. In a pggyback you simply make the crossdrill diamter bigger and then you can make the compression adjustment orifices bigger. I am saying that even at the biggest orifice size in a remote rezzie this is not enough flow!!! I have seen dyno charts and data aquisition that proves this. This doesn't even include the fact that the remote rezzie line length adds more pressure drop therefore flow restriction.

bradley300
02-09-2007, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by KingpinsEx
Performace aside, since i dont know all that much about shocks anyway....I prefer having detached rezzies. For the tracks i ride on I would not want piggybacks sticking out and taking roost. With the hoses you can tuck them away in the frame out of harms way...Plus i don't see any sense in spending the extra money just to have the latest thing out there. Elka and all other companies sell their piggybacks for the same as their other shocks so i dont really see a benefit.

ive never seen a rez damaged out side of a 2 dollar adjustment know from elka, but ive seen plenty of remote rez set ups that have ripped hoses apart!