PDA

View Full Version : axles

2004yellow400ex
01-30-2007, 09:09 PM
hey guys what up.. is it a tough job to change out the rear barrings in a lone star axle on a 2004 400ex? i really need help.. cant anyone help me?

mxraptor149
02-01-2007, 10:47 AM
Well, I've never pulled the axle on a 400, but... I did just that last night on my Raptor. And I have a full Lonestar setup—axle, swingarm, bearing carrier.

For the Raptor, it's fairly simple if you maintain your quad by keeping it cleaned and oiled. You've got to loosen everything to pull the axle, which means axle nuts (anti-fade locknuts likely in Honda's case), hub nuts. Remove the caliper. Pull the tires, hubs off. Remove any C-clips that may be holding your brake mount or sprocket and rotor hubs on. Once everything is clear and loose on the axle, you may have to tap it on the opposite end the axle pulls out of. Use wood, don't hit the axle directly with a hammer.

To do the bearings, you'll have to then remove the bearing carrier by loosening any cinch bolts in the swingarm holding the carrier tight. Then the carrier should simply slide out (depending on your swingarm setup, stock or aftermarket, this could be more difficult).

There is a sleeve that rides inside the bearings which the axle slides through. Push this out with a screw driver or small pry bar, careful not to scratch or marr it, as it would make the axle difficult to slide back in and out and create a rough spot that could prematurely wear new bearings.

In my Lonestar setup, I can remove the axle bearings by prying the old bearings out. To install the new bearings I do it by placing a large socket, just big enough to line up with the outside edge of the bearing over top of it and evenly and slowly tapping on the socket to drive the new bearing in.

I'm sure there are some disparities with the Hondas, but because no one else jumped in I thought I'd give you my experience. I almost took photos the other night when I started pulling the swingarm, I'll have to take some on the re-install!