PDA

View Full Version : Cluch Issue

rooster300ex
01-30-2007, 06:50 PM
When I click my quad into 1st gear it goes right in but its kinna rough and the quad jumps foward just alil, and when I rev it up in 1st gear with the clutch pulled in I can watch the front tire and it kinna surges forward a tiny bit. It has the same clutch cable since 95, and its getting close to not having any adjustment up on the perch. Should I try to adjust the part down by the motor, or just get a new cable? Or is the cable even the problem. Clutch is fairly new.

mxraptor149
02-01-2007, 10:53 AM
If you don't want to spend the money you can try adjusting the cable down by the actuator arm in the engine case. If the clutch is fairly new, like you said and you have not had any other problems with it, odds are it is not the basket. Considering your clutch cable is 12 years old (!) I would consider spending the $20 or $30 to buy a new one. But it sounds like all you need to do is make a few fine adjustments of the cable and your slow inching and rough jump will go away.

Remember, symptoms of a well-adjusted clutch include a slight, smooth "kick" when you drop into first gear, but it should not roll forward when you rev it with the lever in.

02-01-2007, 11:04 AM
Its moving from your plates not separating fully. Can be from your cable being to loose, worn basket,bad or to thick of oil.

Could be nothing. Alot of quads clonk. 3 of my quads all jump forword slightly when i put it in 1st.

1fst400
02-01-2007, 08:25 PM
This reminds me of my 198? cr80. when I would first start it, and put it in gear. OMG hold on. that thing was ready to go. funny thing was I rode it for 2 years and never threw a peny at it for maintance on the motor. Still ran good the day I sold it as the day I got it.

back on topic. I say you just need to adjust you cable. how much can you pull the clutch in before it picks up all the slack in the cable. If it is minimal then I would say that you cable could be streching.

rooster300ex
02-01-2007, 08:31 PM
I have no slack in it. When I pull the clutch lever it pulls the clutch arm at the same time.I do have to quirt some lube in the cable to make it work smoothly sometimes. I ordered a new oem clutch cable. One time my buddy bought a motion pro clutch cable and it snapped in 3 rides. Don't know what happend there. I figured he didn't install it properly. If the stock one I have on it lasted 12 years or so I can't go wrong with getting another one. I have a manual so i'll check that out and adjust it properly and tell ya how it goes. I bet the clutch will be alot easier to pull.

1fst400
02-02-2007, 08:34 AM
I would just throw a tm designs chain roller on there. They are like 20$ and have sealed ball bearings.

400exrider707
02-02-2007, 09:36 AM
My tusk clutch I put in my 400ex did that every time... you get what you pay for.... The plates actually seem to freeze together...I read about it before havnig something to do with using crappy materials in the fibers, but it still didn't slip and never game me any troubles other than on startup. After it was warm it worked flawlessly.

bwamos
02-02-2007, 10:40 AM
I would agree with the other here. Toss on a new cable. ;)

Stretched out cable + new fibers probably isn't giving you quite enough disengagment.

Just as a note: Going from neutral to 1st will always make mine jump a little. It's because in neutral.. even disengaged that tiny fraction of friction makes both parts spin (plates and fibers) since the tranny is pretty much in freewheel mode. Once you pop it into first the one half has to suddenly "stop". This gives you that jerk. If it keeps trying to pull after that inital jerk, then you have to much friction going on.