PDA

View Full Version : cylinder

number5
01-30-2007, 03:37 PM
Anybody ever nikasil a iron sleeve? cooling disavantages?

86 Quad R
01-30-2007, 03:51 PM
a few guys over my way have done it to drag bikes. far less friction, runs cooler and resists scratching better than raw cast iron.

Rich250RRacer
01-30-2007, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by number5
Anybody ever nikasil a iron sleeve? cooling disavantages?

I have it done and I liked the finished product. Unfortunately, I had about three hours of ride time on it (two local harescrambles) when I took it out on New Years Eve, after warm-up I made it ten minutes into my ride and it dropped all compression. I haven't pulled it apart yet, so I don't know what the cause is. I do know that it didn't seize, and the plug came out a perfect tan color. I don't want to believe the Nikasil is responsible since it was EXPENSIVE, but I guess I'll find out when it comes apart.

number5
01-31-2007, 07:17 AM
Who did the work? How much did it cost?

number5
02-01-2007, 09:34 AM
cheapest I found was 250 at uschrome.

Rich250RRacer
02-01-2007, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by number5
Who did the work? How much did it cost?

US Chrome did mine, but I can't reveal the price, sorry. I can tell you that with a piston it was less than $250.

wilkin250r
02-01-2007, 08:17 PM
The cooling won't be as good as a standard Nikasil bore with an aluminum sleeve, but I don't see any reason it should be any worse than a normal non-coated iron sleeve. If any, it should be slightly better.

As other's have pointed out, it should have less friction than the iron sleeve.

I've heard somewhere that it's a tricky process with the iron sleeve, but not impossible. But for the life of me, I can't recall the specifics. Of course, it's also possible that I'm completely wrong.

All these advantages are minor. I can't really think of any benefit that justifies the cost. For most people, the only reason they would Nikasil an iron bore is to preserve the porting, maybe on the last bore or class displacement limits.